Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How closely does Tesla look at trade ins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rarely, Tesla is a place to dump a vehicle and not for a "fair" trade in value. I have traded in 3 perfect and 1 crappy vehicle. They never looked at any of them. Tesla low balls most trade in's and it all averages out. The estimate is rarely the actual trade in value. The buying and trading process is so automated now. You must game the computer and buy when surge pricing is active. Even then the computer will get you on the trade in. Such is the game of buying Tesla's. Picking up a TMY LR White/Black interior next week for $46,750 OTD without trade in. My Carmax trade in offer was higher and I sold it to them today, saved $1200.

So far I entered my VIN number and information on Tesla trade in page and it gives a estimate trade in value of my current old car that I want to trade in when buying a new Model Y. Do I bring the car on the delivery date to get the final value by a appraiser in person? Does Tesla even bother to check in the old car in depth in person when trading in you old car? How does Tesal even determin fine value of the trade in car?
Place your order and part of your delivery tasks will be to provide more information on your trade if you have one. You will given a final trade offer which can accept or decline. Bring your trade to delivery and hand over the keys and title. You always can decide to remove the trade from your order.

We were doing a demo drive at a Tesla store which was receiving transports of new Tesla's. When the transport was unloaded the driver began loading up trades. There were some real turds getting loaded back on that truck that day. It was entertaining knowing what kind car people had driven to the Tesla store compared to what they left with. Very dramatic change.

Reactions: coolmanfever
Do I bring the car on the delivery date to get the final value by a appraiser in person? Does Tesla even bother to check in the old car in depth in person when trading in you old car? How does Tesla even determin fine value of the trade in car?
I brought my trade-in on delivery day and the only view anyone had of the car was helping me remove the license plates. There were no 'appraisers' on the property. The value is determined by whatever wholesaler wants to buy the car from Tesla and shouldn't change. My initial Tesla trade-in offer was better than both Carmax and WeBuyAnyCar. Then, after I submitted pictures, the offer improved! Tesla's trade-in value can be better or worse than expected, but it is by far the most convenient.

Neither Tesla nor most other front line dealerships will want your beater. They only accept it as a trade in, so they can sell you a brand new car. They will immediately dump it into an auction. They have cost to doing this, and risks to take, so don't expect a huge windfall. Tesla has no facilities to rehab old trade ins for resale.

Like all car deals, you need to shop your car around, to see what the current market is for such a vehicle. See who wants it the most and sell it to them. No need to bundle your sale of your old car with the purchase of a new one.

GLWS.