Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It had better be, it's twice the price.

The MS is nice, and I would love to have one, but I can't justify it to myself because I don't think it's twice the car. For my sensibilities, it's way too big of a leap pricewise between the M3/Y and MS/X. A little larger, some nicer materials here and there, better suspension, and a bit faster...but man do you pay a lot for those (mostly incremental) improvements.

BMW, for example...you can get into a 3 series starting for around $46k and a 5 series (the next size/level up) for around $62k. It doesn't jump from ~$44k to ~$88k like Tesla 3->S does. It's not 2x the car. Granted, just within the last couple days Tesla introduced a $78k version of the MS, but still...that's a big price gap. Still roughly 2x the base M3.

My theory is that the MS and X were developed with far less efficient manufacturing methods and thus have much lower potential margins than the 3/Y...Tesla doesn't want to sell more of them. So they keep the price high.
I get it and in your boat
Cannot afford
My point is great to see and experience high end Tesla
GM and Cadillac are two diff sub companies
When you sit in a caddy it does not feel like papa to a chevy
The MS feels like papa to M3
Felt nice

Hey, BMW to MYP - I hope you end up as happy as I am with the transition.

Regarding trade in timeline: Submitting the trade in through Tesla.com was very fast, like pretty close to instantaneous. When I was actually going through the purchasing process through the app it took about 3 days and seemed to be tired to me getting assigned a VIN (but could have been a coincidence). The quote I got on Tesla.com was identical to the actual value I was offered during the purchasing process, though.

The lost $ on the trade in is the cost of convenience to me personally. It seemed like a lot to organize things with Carvana/CarMax etc, then make my way over to Tesla on delivery, and then figure out a different mode of transportation if I felt the car was unacceptable. I think this is a personal decision based on the delta of values offered from each buyer and what options you have available.

Regarding financing: I accepted the financing terms before they gave me a trade in offer, but I had a fairly clear idea of what to expect in terms of my trade in value so I did take that into account when accepting.

With the Uberturbines, when I say 'ride quality' I'm referring to how much I feel thrown around in the cabin by unevenness and damage in roads. The steering wheel feedback (how 'connected' you feel to the road) was higher on the Uberturbines than Inductions for sure, but I didn't feel as through bumps in the road were more impactful on one as compared with the other. I think the suspension & weight of the Y does a lot of work here.

I came from a 21 BMW X3 which had a very smooth ride (245/55R17 wheels/tires). I don't find the Y significantly harsher. Definitely more sporty, which in this case I mean that the ride is comfortable, smooth, but you feel more through the steering wheel. No idea about third party wheels. I do see a lot of Teslas with third party wheels around Colorado though, but that might be folks moving away from stock Gemini wheels.

Great write-up. I am coming from a BMW i3s on stock 20's which is made of carbon fiber, flies off the line like a bat out of hell (fastest production BMW including the i8) but the suspension is stiff as hell. Like every tiny bump. So I'm interested to see how the MYP feels. A lot of peoples perceptions of the 21's is based on what they are already driving.

You noted that Tesla was below the value of Carmax/Carvana but remember that you get tax savings by trading it into Tesla that you wouldn't get anywhere else. You get to deduct the value of the trade from the taxable amount.

How has the Tesla Vision Hardware 4 been working out for you? So far, pretty disappointing news on forums and teardown videos showing no radar like on the Model X/S.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

For me, the delivery was the only bitter part of the entire experience of having a Tesla in my life. I have worked for a car manufacturer for years and also have taken delivery of several cars all my life. With Tesla, I knew (and read about) that the delivery is like buying a phone from a shop. Pay, pickup and go.

Tesla really needs to up their game for customer service. Although, all the staff I met were very kind and helpful, there were several loose ends which would test your patience.

I live in Belgium. To begin with, a phone-call prior to my delivery date, they tell me that the car can only be picked up at the delivery centre and not the showroom near my house.
So I take the train to the other side of the city to go this delivery centre.
On entry, there is literally no body.
I wait for 10 minutes, when a employee shows up and I tell him that I am there for delivery. He asks me to wait till the delivery manager arrives.

1) I ask them if I can see the car. Their response was that the car is getting washed. Now, generally that is ok, but if I had a 11:30AM appointment booked with them, logic is that the car is washed and ready by that time. (I was able to check the car after it was washed before final signing).

2) The delivery authorization app on their tablet wouldn't connect to the server. So we did all paperwork manually. I was told that this is common.

3) I was given incorrect confirmations: (the car has HW4 = it does not, the car has all weather tyres = it does not)

4) They bring the front license place and it would not fit. Their reason was that they mistakingly printed it larger than the bracket. Eventually, it was force fit in the bracket anyway.

5) I had ordered a tow hitch, but it had not arrived by the time of delivery.

6) After formalities, I start driving back home. I get a call back. "Sir, we forgot to give you some papers. Can you come back". Ofcourse, I drove back to the delivery centre.

All the above might sound very small issues. But from my experience in the automotive field, customers do care and expect to have a flawless delivery process.

All this in the past, I am extremely happy with my Model Y!!!

Cheers!

Reactions: Gpa9504

For me, the delivery was the only bitter part of the entire experience of having a Tesla in my life. I have worked for a car manufacturer for years and also have taken delivery of several cars all my life. With Tesla, I knew (and read about) that the delivery is like buying a phone from a shop. Pay, pickup and go.

Tesla really needs to up their game for customer service. Although, all the staff I met were very kind and helpful, there were several loose ends which would test your patience.

I live in Belgium. To begin with, a phone-call prior to my delivery date, they tell me that the car can only be picked up at the delivery centre and not the showroom near my house.
I wait for 10 minutes, when a employee shows up and I tell him that I am there for delivery. He asks me to wait till the delivery manager arrives.

1) I ask them if I can see the car. Their response was that the car is getting washed. Now, generally that is ok, but if I had a 11:30AM appointment booked with them, logic is that the car is washed and ready by that time. (I was able to check the car after it was washed before final signing).

2) The delivery authorization app on their tablet wouldn't connect to the server. So we did all paperwork manually. I was told that this is common.

3) I was given incorrect confirmations: (the car has HW4 = it does not, the car has all weather tyres = it does not)

4) They bring the front license place and it would not fit. Their reason was that they mistakingly printed it larger than the bracket. Eventually, it was force fit in the bracket anyway.

6) After formalities, I start driving back home. I get a call back. "Sir, we forgot to give you some papers. Can you come back". Ofcourse, I drove back to the delivery centre.

All the above might sound very small issues. But from my experience in the automotive field, customers do care and expect to have a flawless delivery process.

Cheers!

Not my experience in NY, 2x times went perfect
Tesla needs to postmortem review past sales transactions and fix stories like yours
I can say solid local management creates our perfect NY experiences
Have her train other location managers

I see some performance Teslas in my area (western ny), but driving 40 profile tire cars for four years and during that time blowing tires on two occasions and bending a $1k wheel on another I detest them deeply. The 21” Uber are 35. That’s way, way too thin. Sounds like an absolute nightmare on my roads. Replacement cost is also very high. It’s one of the reasons I have limited interest in a performance variant!

Reactions: AJ..

Cheers!

This has been about my experience too in NY (Mt Kisko). Firstly, staff is in general very courteous and helpful which I much appreciated. It’s just the process (and about 4 years back the known built issues with paint, panel gaps and other issues being at its prime). They don’t factor in the part that (and no smoke without fire) - people are genuinely concerned about picking a new 50k+ car that has issues that stick like sore thumb with misalignments or paint issues - that going forward you will notice everyday :). They can be patient with customers and walk them through (10-15m process) - they have more experienced eye to details and can do the check while customer is observing with them. Enough of this “checklist”. Very big oddity in the delivery process with Tesla that seems easily rectifiable. Even though I did my own quick check, I doubt if I did even a half decent job with other things swirling around.
It’s very easily fixable step for Tesla. And they can reward their delivery guys if they notice anything before customer catches it and vice versa.

I see some performance Teslas in my area (western ny), but driving 40 profile tire cars for four years and during that time blowing tires on two occasions and bending a $1k wheel on another I detest them deeply. The 21” Uber are 35. That’s way, way too thin. Sounds like an absolute nightmare on my roads. Replacement cost is also very high. It’s one of the reasons I have limited interest in a performance variant!

Buy the performance.
Buy 19/20 wheels
Buy TPMS sensors on ebay
Buy 40/45 profile tires at your local tire shop.
Sell the 21's - will probably be more than those other buys.

Also keep in mind your prior 40 series tires could have been narrower and thus less sidewall than the 20" Y as they are 255/40R20. So you may be ok with 20's. If you want more sidewall then go 19 or heck even 18.

I went with the LR because I wanted to save the $5k now and may not keep it long (Performance have barely higher resale than LR). I also like the softer higher suspension of the LR. But if I knew I was keeping the car awhile I'd have loved to get the P!

Reactions: EatsShoots
Buy the performance.
Buy 19/20 wheels
Buy TPMS sensors on ebay
Buy 40/45 profile tires at your local tire shop.
Sell the 21's - will probably be more than those other buys.

Also keep in mind your prior 40 series tires could have been narrower and thus less sidewall than the 20" Y as they are 255/40R20. So you may be ok with 20's. If you want more sidewall then go 19 or heck even 18.

I went with the LR because I wanted to save the $5k now and may not keep it long (Performance have barely higher resale than LR). I also like the softer higher suspension of the LR. But if I knew I was keeping the car awhile I'd have loved to get the P!
Immediately replacing them is not a bad idea :)

Reactions: MacO512
Immediately replacing them is not a bad idea :)
Yeah, if you want to use up most the factory tire tread first that may be the best economical choice. Used tires have very little resale value. Gives you a year or something to be certain you want the vehicle long term. But that has a risk you could damage the wheels so it might be best to just sell immediately and hope the buyer wants to pay a little extra for such new tires.

Picking up my Y tomorrow. Anything I should be on the lookout for to make sure all is well?
As already stated, meet and get email of the Tesla location manager, top dog, for future potential escalations

If you are trading in a vehicle, don’t waste any money on cleaning, during the day of new vehicle, no one inspects the trade

New vehicle
Have two people there using well published Tesla inspections lists and YouTube videos
One person works the list, listening and checking off as deeply inspected by the other person
Start with outside
Roof, sides, front and rear, underneath/get low
Then inside sitting in all four spots
Look for smells/if demo vehicle, majors, stains, broken, out of alignment, scratched, just wrong
At the end take a lot of photos and a long video
Most vehicles are perfect as both of mine were
But you want to catch the majors and decide on rhe minors, fix majors and decide on minors

Immediate time right after, pay an auto body shop $100 to provide a paint condition report to you, if something is found the report will provide leverage with Tesla for the fix
Use the same body shop to inspect the repairs of happened
If no paint repairs are necessary, enjoy the perfect paint

Over the next 60 days, observe all vehicle behaviors for any issues such as wheel alignment, abnormal tire wear, water moisture in lights, etc
Tesla will remediate immediately

Again, Tesla is rhe best so enjoy

Reactions: cdub
I too think the purchase and delivery of my model y was awesome, I purchased a new Toyota tacoma and took delivery on Saturday then took delivery of my model y on Thursday of the same week and the Toyota dealership was a typical dealership expierience of them trying to up sell stuff I don't want or need, Tesla did none of that took 4 hours at the Toyota dealer took 30 minutes at Tesla, my time is important to me

Reactions: cdub
Don't know why my post is bold. Lol.

Oops.

Sadly I won't get it back to Monday or Tuesday now. Sigh.

For now I drive "Stinky".... What I've affectionately named my loaner. It's a model 3 with a certain smell that probably comes from many users. One of them apparently a smoker. Poor guy got charged to 100% all the time too so only gets 170 at 80%..or maybe that's normal for a 2020 standard plus but seems low.

my delivery date was the best day of my life I am a tesla guy for life
I hope you say that as a single guy with no kids. =)

It's always fun picking up a new vehicle... for a few hours, but you can't really say it's the best day of your life if you've witnessed birth of your children or gotten married to a great partner.... or lost your virginity for that matter... all days far more exciting than picking up a new depreciating asset. =)

It's always fun picking up a new vehicle... for a few hours, but you can't really say it's the best day of your life if you've witnessed birth of your children
IMG_7045.jpeg

I hope you say that as a single guy with no kids. =)

It's always fun picking up a new vehicle... for a few hours, but you can't really say it's the best day of your life if you've witnessed birth of your children or gotten married to a great partner.... or lost your virginity for that matter... all days far more exciting than picking up a new depreciating asset. =)
He actually meant it was his second best day. The best was when his kids finally left for college.

• Funny
Reactions: maksimfa