Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How come Tesla cannot beat Hyundai's MPGe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the graphic below shows the Model 3 Battery size at 62 kWh with a range of 450km and the Kona with a battery size of 64kWh and a range of 449. So Kona has barely the same range with a larger battery and way less performance (300hp vs 204hp and 450 vs 395 Nm of torque) . Don't see how this really is "better" than the Tesla. In fact with the performance numbers in mind the Tesla is way more efficient. Keep in mind this is the midrange Model3 as the LR is 72 kWh.

Attachments

• ev-comparison.jpg
    ev-comparison.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 82
Really, the 4th iteration Tesla with the fancy new motors is almost beat by a compliance Hyundai.

I say shenanigans to your argument. Tesla will soon be crushed by a ground-up Hyundai if they are almost beat by a compliance version. At least in a MPGe sense.

hahahahha.

Hyundai is selling these things near cost, and won't build them to scale. They are not anywhere close to being a threat unless you ignore market forces such as making a profit.

I dare not ask on this forum what folks prefer overall. It is just the narrow point that Tesla is chest thumping this week about efficiency with their new range on the S/X, but it seems Hyundai is fierce competition on that front alone.
How is providing similar range with a bigger battery and laughable performance "fierce competition"? Just how and in what capacity is it competing....Maybe you should compare windshield area.....or the number of cup holders or wait for it....the Kona does get XM radio, they are sure to bury Tesla with this clear winner.......

Everyone wants to make this thread about Tesla having a better product on some criteria other than MPGe, but that is the sole topic here. Hijackers of the thread simply can’t resist the temptation.

I'm not sure what you think you're going to accomplish here.

Despite your "just a compliance car" spin, your own choice of articles points out you're comparing to the most efficient car they've seen.

Despite that, the Tesla beats it significantly in the only MPGe metric that actually matters for a two hundred mile range EV, the highway rating.

If I tell you that a Honda Insight has four times the fuel economy rating of a Ford F150, does that matter? Is it likely to cause a F150 driver to go buy an Insight?

If you're not comparing similar things, you're not likely to persuade people. And that's a part of why a bunch of folks are trying to explain why the two really aren't comparable.

Tesla just upgraded the motors on the luxury end of the line-up to match the Model 3's efficient motors, but still Hyundai can beat Tesla with a compliance car no less? Seriously, with a ground-up design what is wrong with Tesla. They are getting close, but should be lapping the field. Tesla has better wind resistance numbers as you would expect in such a slippery design. WTF?

Tesla Model 3 Standard Plus Almost As Efficient As Hyundai IONIQ Electric

Is this parody?

• Love
Reactions: SammichLover
The Hyundai Kona uses 215/55-R17 tires, whereas the Model 3 uses 235/45-R18 tires. The Kona's contact patch on the pavement is much smaller than the Tesla's. This has good and bad consequences. On the good side of things, it improves the Kona's efficiency and reduces road noise. On the bad side, its handling isn't as good, and, being front wheel drive, it's always scrambling for traction. The Tesla will handle better and have more grip, but be less efficient than it would be with smaller tires.

If you feel like neutering your Model 3 with skinny tires, you can absolutely trounce the Kona's efficiency.

Last edited:
There is a certain logic to that, but go to https://www.fueleconomy.gov and compare the Model 3 with the Hyundai Kona having basically the same range. The Kona is a pure compliance car built on an ICE platform that has been out for several years--a typical incumbent brand kludge. The Tesla barely beats it. Really, the 4th iteration Tesla with the fancy new motors is almost beat by a compliance Hyundai.

I say shenanigans to your argument. Tesla will soon be crushed by a ground-up Hyundai if they are almost beat by a compliance version. At least in a MPGe sense.

View attachment 400683
Which car looks better?
Which car goes 0-60 mph faster?
Which car handles better?
Which car has the better supercharger infrastructure?
Which car has the better crash rating?
Which car would you rather be driving?

To me, the Hyundai EV's are quite impressive, and I think even Elon would agree that having more companies offering cars like this is a good thing as it helps accelerate the use of sustainable transport.

I think it is also impressive that Hyundai can match or exceed the efficiency of Tesla's cars, especially using an ICE platform. I don't believe their technology is as good as Tesla, but their engineers deserve credit for squeezing as much out of their platform as possible. And I believe if Tesla tried a similar approach (less powerful motor, smaller tires, etc.), then the efficiency of that car would beat the Hyundai hands down.

Of course, absolute efficiency is not everything. I think the appeal and experience of driving a Tesla is much more compelling than a Hyundai. Now if the Hyundai was as efficient AND as much fun as a Tesla, then that would be more cause for "concern".

Oh good grief. Is this some fishing expedition? The Kona is more efficient in the city, but the Tesla crushes it on the highway. Well, guess what....drag goes up squared with velocity, so CD advantage isn't as important for the Kona. And oh gee, a BMW 530 gets better mileage than a 550. Same car, same CD, same space, same everything. But the performance of the 550 is certainly better. At a cost of fuel economy.

Tesla has a 113.2" wheelbase. Kona has a 102.4" one. So the Tesla will fit 4-5 people, the Kona will fit 2 people, and 2 chihuahuas.

You can't just ignore the performance of the Tesla. You darn sure can't compare a midsize car to a microcar. It was designed to appeal to a broad audience, the Kona was not.

• Love
Reactions: longshot49
Everyone wants to make this thread about Tesla having a better product on some criteria other than MPGe, but that is the sole topic here. Hijackers of the thread simply can’t resist the temptation.
Tesla is not interested in making a short range vehicle with less than 200 km range. If they did they would have the lowest MPGe by far. The point is they have overall performance with many factors considered. This is why Tesla is so popular.

I would love to have the Kona's interior space. Have you tried to fit something big in the Model 3? The Tesla's are very wide.

View attachment 401039

Yup. 4 more cubic feet (19 vs 15 - counting the Frunk I believe) with the seats up, and 3 more with the seats folded (45 vs 42). That extra space is just amazing! :-/

Also interesting how this thread is only about MPGe and everyone *else* is trying to make it about other things that don't matter to the ultimate MPGe comparison...

I ask again, does the traction battery warranty of Kona transfer to second and following owners? If not, car would be worth nothing in the secondary market. Huge depreciation! You would have to own the car for life... or practically give it away! So a slight difference in mpg would be moot anyway. The other pluses of the S out weigh also.

Last edited:
Tesla just upgraded the motors on the luxury end of the line-up to match the Model 3's efficient motors, but still Hyundai can beat Tesla with a compliance car no less? Seriously, with a ground-up design what is wrong with Tesla. They are getting close, but should be lapping the field. Tesla has better wind resistance numbers as you would expect in such a slippery design. WTF?

Tesla Model 3 Standard Plus Almost As Efficient As Hyundai IONIQ Electric
Monroney_010.jpg

So what is the MPGe in question?
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Electric

Well you win!
  • Hyundai IONIQ EV, 136 MGPe vs Tesla Standard Range Plus, 134 MPGe
  • Hyundai IONIQ EV, 124 mi EV range vs Tesla Standard Range Plus, 240 mi EV range
  • Hyundai IONIQ EV, sold only in CARB states vs Tesla Standard Range Plus, any state
  • Hyundai IONIQ EV, CCS chargers only vs Tesla Standard Range Plus, any SuperCharger
Yes indeed, Tesla is totally screwed because their MPGe is 2/136 ~= 1.5 % lower than the Hyundai IONIQ EV. Please, you should buy a Hyundai IONIQ because: EV range is unimportant; who can buy one, and; CCS chargers are so plentiful versus the SuperChargers. Yes, you should buy the Hyundai IONIQ EV.

Sad to say, living in Alabama, I had to buy the 'inferior' Standard Range Plus Model 3 for $22,905. Woe is me!

Bob Wilson

I ask again, does the traction battery warranty of Kona transfer to second and following owners? If not, car would be worth nothing in the secondary market. Huge depreciation! You would have to own the car for life... or practically give it away!

I have no idea. But according to this article the warranty does not transfer on sale to a new owner. If this is correct, that is a pretty serious drawback for someone wanting to sell their Kona.

Hyundai's EV Battery That Lasts a Lifetime | Torque News

Reactions: Big Earl