Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How come Tesla cannot beat Hyundai's MPGe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mod note: 13 posts moved to snippiness.

A reminder - personal attacks include words such as "troll" and "fanboi". They're not permitted here. Some of the posts that were moved were merely quoting someone using these terms and weren't specifically snippy on their own. If there is useful information for the thread, you can go ahead and copy/paste back into the thread.

Might I suggest you just close the thread? I think most of us feel it was a fishing expedition from the beginning.

The Ioniq has a couple of advantages consumptionwise:
- The extremely efficient heat-pump and the "heat driver only" feature, this is not accounted for on the EPA-rating. In Winter With temps between 0 and -15C the energyusage With the heat pump in the Ioniq is extremely impressive. I don`t have much experience With Ioniq, but I have driven a lot with Kia Soul and some with Hyundai Kona. After driving for a few minutes the heat pump typically uses about 1kW or less energy With climate set to 20C a -5C. In Model 3 that is closer to 2-3kW if I remember correctly. I have driven many long routes With them and the difference if I turn climate on or of at around -5C is about 5% higher consumption, in my Model S that number is more like 10-20% higher. If temp falls below -15C then the heat-pump makes little sense and they will probably be more comparable, although the "driver-only" feature in the Ioniq probably will give it an edge there aswell.
- Model 3 uses 235\45-18 or bigger and heavier tires With worse energy rating, the Ioniq uses 205\55-16 With A or B-rating on rolling resistance.
- Ioniq weighs quite a bit less due to much smaller battery.

Model 3 also has advantages:
- Slightly better aerodynamics: 0,23 vs 0,24
- Probably slightly more efficient motor.

I can give you a comparison when it comes to the tires and how much rolling resistance matters. At work we have the Nissan Leaf 24kW. Both my Model S and the Leaf has Nokian R2 wintertires B on rolling resistance. Leaf uses 205\55-16 and I use 245\45-19. The Leaf weighs about 1500kg, my Model S 1999kg. I drive the same distance in the same temps at the same speed With both my S and Leaf last year, climate off and 3.5bar of air in tires. Average speed of 60km\hour, 45km total length. With the wintertires The Leaf used 124Wh\km, Model S used 137Wh\km. I tried the same later With summer-tires. Leaf did 125Wh\km, I did 151Wh\km With the Goodyear RS-A2 tires which has a rolling resistance of F. I also have a long comute I travel once a month (170km). I compared the summer vs wintertires 3 times each during spring last year (10-15C temp, no wind, no climate, dry roads) and wintertires consumped 142Wh\km average (139, 142, 144) and summertires consumed 153Wh\km average (150, 153, 156).

If you dont use climate and put on true eco-tires like the Nokian R3 wintertires on both I think the Model 3 SR+ would beat the Ioniq in most scenarios, more at high speeds due to slightly better aerodynamics on Model 3. In city-driving the low weight of the Ioniq might give and advantage With a lot of stops and starts.

• Informative
Reactions: p-f-g