Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's cooling and heating system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
From Artifical Intelligence Query:

Tesla’s heating and cooling system is designed to keep the battery, motor, and cabin at optimal temperatures for performance and comfort. The system consists of several components, such as:

The Tesla heating and cooling system is controlled by a computerized system that monitors the temperature of various components and adjusts the coolant flow accordingly.

Tesla’s heating and cooling system is designed to keep the battery, motor, and cabin at optimal temperatures for performance and comfort. The system consists of several components, such as:

The Tesla heating and cooling system is controlled by a computerized system that monitors the temperature of various components and adjusts the coolant flow accordingly.
That is using refrigerant fluid in place of both refrigerant and water/glycol.
Cabin: refrigerant
Everything else: water/glycol

What it calls 'Chiller' is the glycol radiator (both heats and cools fluid).
There are also a refrigerant to gylcol chiller and a refrigerant to glycol heater.

Could a coolant leak affect heating performance? I’m guessing the answer is yes. I have a loaner and the heat is amazing compared to my car. 2017 build date vs 2015 build date.

Could a coolant leak affect heating performance? I’m guessing the answer is yes. I have a loaner and the heat is amazing compared to my car. 2017 build date vs 2015 build date.
Yes, in the new setup, coolant still directly moves the heat around the vehicle other than the cabin which is direct via refrigerant but that refrigerant exchanges the heat with the coolant.

Older cars had an electric cabin heater.

Yes, in the new setup, coolant still directly moves the heat around the vehicle other than the cabin which is direct via refrigerant but that refrigerant exchanges the heat with the coolant.

Older cars had an electric cabin heater.
So when did this start? What year model s? I’m seeing a huge difference between at 12/2015 build and a 8/2017 build

Are you sure it's working?
Do you think the cabin heater could be broken? It’s bad in general but I didn’t know how bad until I had the 2017. Basically have to put the fan on 10 with heat at 77 for below average heat. By comparison the 2017 cranks me out of the car like an ice engine at 71 on auto. I’m confused 😔

Do you think the cabin heater could be broken? It’s bad in general but I didn’t know how bad until I had the 2017. Basically have to put the fan on 10 with heat at 77 for below average heat. By comparison the 2017 cranks me out of the car like an ice engine at 71 on auto. I’m confused 😔
Yeah, they break and sometimes the fuse just blows. If you have partial heat, it sounds like the fuse is still good.

PTC cabin heater repair

Reactions: tesluv108

Does this description apply to all years? I should think the description and components would be quite different for the latest models with heat pumps....
(Edit) From reading the comments, I gather that this is for the current (2021+ model years, right? Except I see no mention of the term "heat pump." Is that actually a combination of the compressor and chiller? Or have I reached the wrong conclusion about the applicability?

As an aside, I knew most of this, having had my Model S for 8 years, but had not heard that the motors might be heated. I knew they might be cooled, so i suppose heating them also makes sense. But I am curious if that is for all years.

Does this description apply to all years? I should think the description and components would be quite different for the latest models with heat pumps....
(Edit) From reading the comments, I gather that this is for the current (2021+ model years, right? Except I see no mention of the term "heat pump." Is that actually a combination of the compressor and chiller? Or have I reached the wrong conclusion about the applicability?

As an aside, I knew most of this, having had my Model S for 8 years, but had not heard that the motors might be heated. I knew they might be cooled, so i suppose heating them also makes sense. But I am curious if that is for all years.
It's for the new system.

Historically, heat pump was a term applied to a unit with only two coils that swapped evaporator and condenser roles via a reversing valve.
Tesla refrigerant flow is unidirectional and it has two sets of evaporators and condensers, one for the glycol loop and one for the cabin.

Motors can provide heat by modifying the inverter drive waveform. This eliminated the separate PTC gycol heater.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I have a 2023 Model S and it shows no current alerts in normal mode. However, in service mode it shows two active alerts:
VCFRONT_a121_pumpChiller|CLatchFault
VCFRONT_a254_pumpChillerStopped

These alerts continually repeat in the service mode log. Last time I was at a Tesla service center I mentioned this to a tech and he told me not to worry about it. Any knowledge, ideas, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!