Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How come there is no "Open All" option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this is a silly question, but I don’t have my X yet and I’m curious. Is it possible to open and close the doors manually like in an ICE vehicle? I can imagine a time where we get to a restaurant and the wife/kids want to get out as quickly as possible. Can they open and close the doors like traditional doors?

Yes you can. Although my wife uses the touch screen to open the front door to get out. She said it's easier, because as soon as you put the car in Park, the door control screen pops up.

I don't have my X yet, but I would totally use "open all" (minus truck and frunk) every morning as I wait for the school bus. It would be a nice feature! Even better would be an "eject" button to launch my children out right after....lol (I kid, but man they are pokey!)

Reactions: Spelly88
Apologies if this is a silly question, but I don’t have my X yet and I’m curious. Is it possible to open and close the doors manually like in an ICE vehicle? I can imagine a time where we get to a restaurant and the wife/kids want to get out as quickly as possible. Can they open and close the doors like traditional doors?

Front doors can open and close manually like a normal car, but the FWDs have to be powered open and shut. Obviously passengers can use the buttons to open and close the doors themselves.

• Informative
Reactions: Spelly88
The whole point is that you can't accidentally open all the doors with just one button. The problem is not when you want to open all the doors, it's when you don't!

Anyway, if Tesla add open-all as an option then fine. I just don't think they will. But if they do it will be just a matter of time before a thread pops up about the time someone opened everything accidentally at the wrong moment and smashed up their door, trunk, passing cyclist or a truck wiped off the side of their car. These are the things they are likely concerned about otherwise that button would have been there from the start.

How are people accidentally opening doors? My fob is in a silicone cover. Maybe that makes it hard to do?

Anyway, the only scenario I can think of where an accidental opening could be an issue is when you parallel park on a street. I've never parallel parked. It's just not that common where I am. Perhaps Tesla could turn off the feature for parallel parking since the car detects this scenario. Also as i mentioned, put it in the UI as a disabled option. If you enable it, pop up a dialog that makes you accept that this could be dangerous.

I really don't think this is necessary though since the front doors are already "unsafe" by some peoples standard and you don't see a huge outcry about it.

How are people accidentally opening doors? My fob is in a silicone cover. Maybe that makes it hard to do?

It is kind of hard to accidentally open the door as you have to double click to open. I did accidentally close the trunk lid on myself a few times. I park the MX in the garage and with the garage door open, I set the trunk lid to open about 3/4 of the way. I have to bend to get grocery bags from the trunk and my keyfob is in my front pocket. So a few times I hear the "beep" and get swallowed by the trunk. :(

I would totally use the open all feature quite a bit. Five kids and seven people's things... I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be to have an open all button, including frunk and trunk. I would only want it on the screen, though, not my fob. I rarely use the fob except to open the falcon wings.

I would totally use the open all feature quite a bit. Five kids and seven people's things... I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be to have an open all button, including frunk and trunk. I would only want it on the screen, though, not my fob. I rarely use the fob except to open the falcon wings.

Let's not go crazy on it! You have to manually close the frunk... that's a lot of work!

Yeah, I remember both of those. I don't think the self presenting doors doing this have reached a rate that anyone needs to be concerned and there is an option to turn it off. So I don't see where an Open All feature would be anymore dangerous than what we already have.

It’s a new car built March 2018. Been like that since day one. Haven’t gotten the low battery warning either.

Sorry I missed this was your second car. I thought you were saying the range for your 2016 had declined. Maybe they did something to shorten the range because some people accidentally unlocked their car walking away or something.

You beat me to it, I was just about to post one of these, but read to the end of the thread first...

Yeah, I remember both of those. I don't think the self presenting doors doing this have reached a rate that anyone needs to be concerned and there is an option to turn it off. So I don't see where an Open All feature would be anymore dangerous than what we already have.

I think quite a lot of people do turn off the self-presenting driver's door. I do use it now, but very cautiously as it's a bit trigger happy when approaching from the rear.

Having doors power open with the keyfob I don't think is a good idea on the whole. Apart from those headline stories, there have been countless other threads about people randomly finding doors open after accidentally triggering them with the key fob in their pocket. It's happened to me once too. I accidentally opened a FWD, luckily parked safely at the time so no damage done. It works at quite a long range.

Thinking about it more I'd quite like an option to disable all key fob power opening so I don't have to be paranoid about keeping the key fob in my pocket. It's not like pressing the door buttons is hard work and the self-presenting driver's door could still be active.

My keyfob cover must somehow minimize this. I've never once accidentally opened my doors.

Maybe, as I said it's happened to me just once so far, but that's all it takes to have serious trouble. I'm very careful how I carry the key and even more so now. It also depends how far away from your car you are, especially when sitting down when you are most likely to put some pressure on the key.

I'm not promoting an open all from the key fob. Only from the center screen. I am very cautious opening doors around people and unknowns. But when I pull into my own garage, with my entire family in the car, it would be fun to push open all so we can eject from all sides. Even the frunk .

I'm not promoting an open all from the key fob. Only from the center screen. I am very cautious opening doors around people and unknowns. But when I pull into my own garage, with my entire family in the car, it would be fun to push open all so we can eject from all sides. Even the frunk .

Exactly what I was thinking! Open everything including frunk from the screen. I don't use my fob much except for the FWDs.

Exactly what I was thinking! Open everything including frunk from the screen. I don't use my fob much except for the FWDs.

I can't say it's a lot of hassle opening doors from the screen anyway, but yeah why not. I wouldn't include the frunk though!

I'd like this too, minus the frunk. Fob is for returning to the car. Screen is for leaving the car.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
Obviously every person / family is different. Can't really say "most people" do that.

As a family of 5 with 3 kids including 1 infant, it's very often that I need to open all doors (not frunk) to load/unload people, grocery, stroller, etc. However, it's not that high of a priority compared to other features I'd like, like keeping the damn car unlocked inside my garage.

Yup... each day, I'm clicking all the door buttons on the screen

We've had our new X for a week - and had 10 family members visit us for most of that time.

Briefly thought about how "open all" would be a nice option so we could open both front doors and both falcon wing doors at one time. If someone enters the car first in the front - it's pretty easy to use the Doors setting screen to quickly open the remaining doors with a few screen presses.

And then I watched how the kids were standing around the outside of the car - and decided "open all" wouldn't be a good thing to have especially when you have someone so short you can't see them through the windows from the other side of the car...

• Informative
Reactions: beths11