Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how confident are you with autosteer? sometimes autosteer steer me towards highway median.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only have SR+ version. I only get cruise control and autosteer when I activate autopilot. But sometimes when autopilot is activated, autosteer took over and start to steer more toward highway median (towards left) than I usually like. I sometimes get freak out , and try to correct back myself by forcing steer wheel toward the right away from the highway median. By doing so, I deactivated autopilot. Then I have reactivate again. I find it sometimes annoy.

Do you guys have such problem? How confident are you with auto steer?

Reactions: diezel_dave
While using Autosteer, I was unnerved at how close to the left highway divider it seemed to hew. Until I saw that it was, in fact, in the middle of the lane as designed. It’s just that whenever I was driving in the left lane, I had always tended to drive to the rightmost edge of the lane to feel safer. Autosteer just put it in the center for real. So I decided to trust it, and so far it hasn’t gone wrong.

Reactions: Sherlo
I wish you could "guide" it to where you want it to hang out in the lane by applying slight pressure with the steering wheel until it catches on and stays there with the hope that it would eventually learn your preference and do that in the same locations on future drives.

I also note that Autopilot steers more towards the center than I use to drive, but I got used to it.

What freaks me out sometimes is the timing of taking a corner; Autopitot steers later into a corner than when I steer myself.

I also note that Autopilot steers more towards the center than I use to drive, but I got used to it.

What freaks me out sometimes is the timing of taking a corner; Autopitot steers later into a corner than when I steer myself.

It sounds like the folks at Tesla that program the autopilot must brake late, accelerate too slowly from stops, corner late and too fast, drive too close to the median, drive too close to sidewalks and bike lanes, hang out in other drivers blind spots, brake at random times for no reason at all and they don’t care about avoiding potholes or driving behind dump trucks spraying rocks all over highway. ;)