Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In FSD, if I look down at my phone and text or check emails, or have my phone next to my ear talking, I get a warning to pay attention in the screen. I got booted out of FSD a few times for this. It seems like in FSD, it would be a safer time to check your phone. In regular driving without FSD, I don't get warned when on the phone or looking elsewhere. It seems like it should be the opposite to me, meaning safer to llok at a text or email when in FSD.
And this is exactly why NHTSA had to make Tesla recall and make it more strict. People are abusing the system beyond its designed capabilities.

FSD, despite the name, is not a self driving or autonomous system. Full driver attention is still required. So no, you should not be using your phone or looking at anything else other than the road.

Reactions: ewoodrick
In FSD, if I look down at my phone and text or check emails, or have my phone next to my ear talking, I get a warning to pay attention in the screen. I got booted out of FSD a few times for this. It seems like in FSD, it would be a safer time to check your phone. In regular driving without FSD, I don't get warned when on the phone or looking elsewhere. It seems like it should be the opposite to me, meaning safer to llok at a text or email when in FSD.
Yup! The regulators have "F"ed up the FSD. Its so bad that it will warn even if my eyes are off for a few seconds. Yes! I got a warning and got booted out the first day! I guess no self drive after you get booted 5 times or more? Great job! Reverse engineering in progress to self destruction! Everything that made Tesla a Tesla is being undone rapidly so Tesla can catch up to Ford, GM or maybe they are aiming to be level with Fisker? LOL

Yup! The regulators have "F"ed up the FSD. Its so bad that it will warn even if my eyes are off for a few seconds. Yes! I got a warning and got booted out the first day! I guess no self drive after you get booted 5 times or more? Great job! Reverse engineering in progress to self destruction! Everything that made Tesla a Tesla is being undone rapidly so Tesla can catch up to Ford, GM or maybe they are aiming to be level with Fisker? LOL
"a warning" "got booted out"

Let's get real, you had multiple warnings, at least 5, probably more like 20 and got booted out.

Another great example of why Tesla had to add the lock out.

Reactions: E90alex
Unless the car is doing all the driving (L3 or higher), it is never safe to look at your phone. Remember that FSD is an L2 driver assist feature - like cruise control. You are the driver, and you are responsible for safety. The car is just assisting you, like cruise control. Looking at your phone is a distraction and can lead to a horrible outcome just like texting and driving without an ADAS feature.
Yes! We are aware of it! Why call it Autopilot when it is not! FSD when it is not even close. Tesla should rename it GCC (Glorified Cruise Control) I am simply annoyed with Tesla and their shenanigans!

Reactions: Kohley
"a warning" "got booted out"

Let's get real, you had multiple warnings, at least 5, probably more like 20 and got booted out.

Another great example of why Tesla had to add the lock out.
I look at the road and have my hand gripping the wheel. Never get any nags.

Occasionally get the text nag to apply steering force if I find myself staring too long at the visualizations. I even edit navigation route and change stations on the screen without nags. Only had the blue flashing twice in the over 2 weeks of FSD.

Never got to the point where it disengages or locks me out. You really have to be deliberately not paying attention and ignoring the warnings or be using your phone or something to get locked out.

Yes! We are aware of it! Why call it Autopilot when it is not! FSD when it is not even close. Tesla should rename it GCC (Glorified Cruise Control) I am simply annoyed with Tesla and their shenanigans!
Why is it called Grape Nuts when it has no grapes nor nuts? Yes yes, marketing terms are the bane of our existence. And you have idiots to thank for increased nags and cabin cameras making sure you're paying attention.

BTW - other L2 systems (Blue Cruise, Super Cruise, Ultra Cruise, etc) use cameras to watch your eyes and if you try to use your phone they'll ding you too.

• Funny
Reactions: Don.Church

You aren't going to listen. So go ahead and keep getting the strikes.

Tesla WILL indeed pull your record and present it in court when you are your family sues them because of your accident.

Unless the car is doing all the driving (L3 or higher), it is never safe to look at your phone. Remember that FSD is an L2 driver assist feature - like cruise control. You are the driver, and you are responsible for safety. The car is just assisting you, like cruise control. Looking at your phone is a distraction and can lead to a horrible outcome just like texting and driving without an ADAS feature.
I never look at my phone normally, I am aware of the risk but was on a long drive on the freeway at cruising speed. If tesla wanted to be safer, they should have the watch feature while in normal use, not just FSD. Policing non FSD modes would make the driver behave better and safer, non FSD should be monitored more than FSD, that is my point. This shouldn't be called FSD either it really isn't full self driving, that is what Waymo is doing. They should call it "advanced cruise control".

It's time for everyone to get over the name. Tesla has said for MANY years that FSD requires a driver to be present. It's amazing to me how many people find something to complain about with regards to the system. When Tesla did not have the systems in place to monitor if a driver was paying attention, they got dinged for it. Now that there are many things in place to assure that the driver is present and paying attention, they get dinged for it.

I'm sure there are instances where Tesla would allow for people to look away but the NHTSA would not approve it. FSD is a work in progress and I'm willing to deal with the limitations that it has as I feel that it has made driving much less tedious for me. I live in Southern CA (Los Angeles) where we deal with traffic around the clock. I have a 86 mile drive this afternoon that will take me over 2 hours to do in traffic. FSD will make that drive MUCH less painful.

I'm not particularly that interested in what Tesla calls it. I can say that I've driven with FSD for 3 years now and I simply love it. I've watched as it has progressed and frankly, 12.3.3 is very impressive. I'm really optimistic that the next couple of years will bring some major developments that will allow drivers to safely remove their hands from the wheel and basically let the car take over completely.

Let's see what the 8/8 reveal brings.

I never look at my phone normally, I am aware of the risk but was on a long drive on the freeway at cruising speed. If tesla wanted to be safer, they should have the watch feature while in normal use, not just FSD. Policing non FSD modes would make the driver behave better and safer, non FSD should be monitored more than FSD, that is my point. This shouldn't be called FSD either it really isn't full self driving, that is what Waymo is doing. They should call it "advanced cruise control".
FSD doesn't exist yet. It's currently FSD Beta or FSD (supervised)

You aren't going to listen. So go ahead and keep getting the strikes.

Tesla WILL indeed pull your record and present it in court when you are your family sues them because of your accident.
Yes! They did in the last case and quietly settled it before it went to trial. Did not disclose how much they paid! Tesla pulling records does not do anything when they falsely promote a tech a something else. The regulators are there for a reason and they will not let Tesla get away with a junky software that drives you to a ditch instead of passing through a security gate! LOL! FSD MY FOOT!

Yes! They did in the last case and quietly settled it before it went to trial. Did not disclose how much they paid! Tesla pulling records does not do anything when they falsely promote a tech a something else. The regulators are there for a reason and they will not let Tesla get away with a junky software that drives you to a ditch instead of passing through a security gate! LOL! FSD MY FOOT!
And "how much they paid" could have been $0.

I'm pretty sure their lawyers were realizing they were about to lose, and it was time to cut their loses.

Please refrain from personal attacks. If you don't like what I say about Tesla then there is no need to participate in this discussion.
It's people like this that impact all Tesla owners. Because people couldn't just do as they were asked to, watch the car, Tesla had to add features to verify. And then when they found ways to overcome it, Tesla had to add more mechanism to assure that you are paying attention to the road.

And when idiots are on their phone doing things and have a crash, Tesla gets blamed.

Does anyone know how to decrease the following distance on the highway? It used to be a left/right right-scroll wheel adjustment but that doesn't seem to work any longer. It leaves a pretty substantial gap to the vehicle in front in the current iteration.

Does anyone know how to decrease the following distance on the highway? It used to be a left/right right-scroll wheel adjustment but that doesn't seem to work any longer. It leaves a pretty substantial gap to the vehicle in front in the current iteration.
You cannot directly adjust following distance with FSD. You can only change the FSD profile eg chill, average, assertive.

• Informative
Reactions: DocHolliday
Only idiots pay 12,000 for a POS software to be called FSD and pay 100% attention to the road! Thanks for identifying yourself and confirming it!
That's a bold statement. And so subjective it's ridiculous. Why do people pay $150k for a Mercedes when a BMW can do the same thing for $50k less? Why do people pay $5k for a refrigerator when they can get the exact same thing for $2k? They all just keep your food cold, right?

I bought my Tesla because I'm an advocate for EVs, was sick of paying huge amounts of money on gas every week, got solar panels on my house because of huge electricity rates, and wanted to help test and develop driver assist features.

Now I get to hear my friends complain about $5.50 per gallon gas while my car drives around town with little interaction from me, laughing as it drives past every gas station.

But you just keep raging about FSD and it's cost, while we all live rent free in your head. 😁

That's a bold statement. And so subjective it's ridiculous. Why do people pay $150k for a Mercedes when a BMW can do the same thing for $50k less? Why do people pay $5k for a refrigerator when they can get the exact same thing for $2k? They all just keep your food cold, right?

I bought my Tesla because I'm an advocate for EVs, was sick of paying huge amounts of money on gas every week, got solar panels on my house because of huge electricity rates, and wanted to help test and develop driver assist features.

Now I get to hear my friends complain about $5.50 per gallon gas while my car drives around town with little interaction from me, laughing as it drives past every gas station.

But you just keep raging about FSD and it's cost, while we all live rent free in your head. 😁
Its all relative. You paid double the price of a similar gas car like a Honda Accord or a Camry, you pay double price for tires due to higher wear, higher EV tax (in some states) greater depreciation of value which is pretty drastic, lost time charging your car on the road not to mention near gasoline rates for EV charging (Time is money) and on top of that you pay 12k for FSD holy cow! Supervised (GCC) while you pay 100% attention to the road ! and you really have to drive more than a million miles to break even with a similar gas powered car. I guess if that's living rent free in someone's head then all the more electric power to you sir! Good luck!🤣

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Dewg