Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD is amazing...no question. These are some of the problems I have had. Is it FSD or me?
1. FSD compromised due to weather warning. To sensitive..I have had the warning with annoying beeps with cloudy weather and no rain.
2. Passing on highway. Moves into passing lane but does not accelerate to complete pass and lingers in passing lane too long. Sometimes does not return to right hand lane after pass completed. Will only move over if I activate turn signal.
3. How do I have FSD exceed posted speed limit. Sometimes traffic moves faster than limit and I would be holding up traffic if I strictly adhered to posted limit.

Any input appreciated!

FSD has worked above my expectations but not flawless for me. Is there any way to contact Tesla to report problems that you are experiencing that DOESN'T require you to stop the FSD trip? These are things that aren't a safety problem but do (usually) make me get out of FSD. The biggest one is a speed change on the highway that I end up using for 95% of the time I am driving because my housed is nearby and no other major road/highway is as close or convenient. About 8 miles away the highway has a stop light at an intersection of 2 highways and on the one side the speed limit is 60 mph and on the other it's 70 mph. The speed change has always worked-and actually STILL works- if I am NOT in FSD or Advanced AutoPilot. If I am then when the speed goes to 70 my speed limit still says 60. If I turn off FSD (turning it off, not just disengaging it) from the Control screen the system displays the correct speed limit once more.

You can set a speed offset above the speed limit, either relative (%) or absolute (mph). See the manual for details. Used for TACC too, so not specific to FSD.
Yes, those settings are in the Autopilot menu. With the latest FSD , you have the choice of letting the car determine the maximum speed automatically, or setting a Max according to your preferences as @EVRider-FL explained.

But you also need to be aware of the right scroll wheel, that is used to override the menu preference settings in real time as you drive. Try that and watch how it changes the max speed number on the display. (I'm not sure the wheel does anything if you choose Automatic Set-slSpeed Offset.)

Note that with the newest FSD, the car may still choose to drive slower than the max setting according to what it thinks is appropriate. And if you scroll the speed down, it may take some time for the car to coast down to the new lower setting.

Been using the free trial of FSD (Supervised). Its just ok! Yeah! It makes the turn and turns on the indicator lights and does a few other things that most cars don't do but it fails miserably at basic things. It cannot negotiate a security gate! Every time I come home and have to wait for the security gates to open to the entrance of our neighborhood, the car tries to turn away trying to run me into a ditch! Funny thing is it is programmed to open the gate automatically but just does not know there is a gate. It probably looks at it as an obstacle and turns away sharply. Every single time! (Elon Musk please correct this flaw!) Then, there is that hesitation on switching lanes or merging on to a highway is worse than a learner driver or a 10 year old kid. Its frustrating. It tends to keep to the right lane until the last minute even when its pretty clear that I have to be in a center lane as the right lane will exit and thereby causing unnecessary delays and honking from fellow motorists. Pretty obvious that I have to intervene several times in my short daily commute of 20 minutes or I am going to end up somewhere I don't need to be. 12 Grand for this? Really? or 100 bucks a month (Discounted now) I am not sure as I am not even liking it free! Maybe someday when the 10 year old has matured into an adult I may consider and it will take a lot more than rewriting 300k lines of code.

Also using the one month upgrade. I live in the country with unmarked roads. It refuses to turn onto my road where I live, even though it displays the road clearly on the screen. You can see it evaluate the turn a few times, then reject it. Also does not recognize a few speed signs that are clear and open, but sees others. Definitely not much value in current software development for me.

After refusing to turn left in town at a 4-lane traffic light (all well-marked roads), and adding frustration to her tight schedule, my wife is "done with it".

Elon, keep working it. still think you are on the right path....but I would call it "sorta FSD".

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
FSD is amazing...no question. These are some of the problems I have had. Is it FSD or me?
1. FSD compromised due to weather warning. To sensitive..I have had the warning with annoying beeps with cloudy weather and no rain.
2. Passing on highway. Moves into passing lane but does not accelerate to complete pass and lingers in passing lane too long. Sometimes does not return to right hand lane after pass completed. Will only move over if I activate turn signal.
3. How do I have FSD exceed posted speed limit. Sometimes traffic moves faster than limit and I would be holding up traffic if I strictly adhered to posted limit.

Any input appreciated!

1. The FSD warning is definitely intrusive. It's been that way for a long time. At this point it seems to indicate that aside from the obvious, that the max speed is limited.

2. The car doesn't like the right lane. It actively will get out of it.
When you say that if doesn't complete the pass, are you talking about 4 lane roads or roads where the car is crossing a yellow passing lane?
For 4 lane roads, as I said, the car doesn't like being in the right lane. And while you indicate that you are doing good and getting back into the right lane. On a 4 lane, this is not an urgent need and the car won't exceed it's desired speed to do so.
As everyone is aware, there are people who will stay in the left lane no matter what. The car will at least move back to the right lane if it sees anyone coming up on the rear.

3. The new Speed Control is new. It's taking some tine to optimize, and it has changed over the last few releases. As others indicate, it can be turned off in the AuroPilot settings. But even off, the car is still using AI to control the speed. It's not like the pre-12 speed control anymore. Which I think that many people were relatively happy with.
But the old speed control didn't do great below 45 mph. The new one does much better. But at 45-55 mph, the new one is painful.

Just to be clear...on a two lane interstate, the car will move into the left lane to pass but will not speed up to complete the pass and then will not move back into the right lane unless I use the turn signal...it lingers too long in passing lane!
Lanes are normally indicated in the totality of lanes, not just one side. So when you say 2 lane Interstate, since there are none, I'm assuming 4 lane Interstate.

Yes, the car will move to the left lane and then go the speed that it desires or that you have it set to (dependent on the new speed control settings) and if a car comes up behind it, and it can move back right, it will. If it is blocked, it will just continue on until it can move right.

Yes, I want it to move back to the right as well, we have a keep right except to pass law in GA (which few people follow). All I'm saying is the way the car works. And regrettably, since it is now driving like people do, it is doing like too many people do.
It also seems as if the car doesn't like the right lane, probably because of people coming on and off and exits or intersections. If you get up to a 6-lane road, it doesn't really pull to the far left, it just doesn't like the right-most lane.

But you also need to be aware of the right scroll wheel, that is used to override the menu preference settings in real time as you drive. Try that and watch how it changes the max speed number on the display. (I'm not sure the wheel does anything if you choose Automatic Set-slSpeed Offset.)
Correct, the scroll can’t change the speed when you’re using the auto speed offset. However, the auto speed is only used on city streets — it reverts back to the non-auto setting when you’re on the highway, in which case you can use the scroll wheel again.

Correct, the scroll can’t change the speed when you’re using the auto speed offset. However, the auto speed is only used on city streets — it reverts back to the non-auto setting when you’re on the highway, in which case you can use the scroll wheel again.
I've seen the thumbwheel change the speed when the new speed feature is enabled. Granted it doesn't do it all the times, but it has a number of times for me.

Be careful when you use the term highway and city streets. Because they are confusing and in some situations not correctly use. I have a LOT of highways for which are considered surface streets.

I believe that the correct terminology for when it switches speed controls is limited access highways, i.e. Interstates.

highway​

noun

high·way ˈhī-ˌwā

Synonyms of highway
: a public way
especially : a main direct road

Has anyone else experienced weird speed changes while on FSD on an interstate? Today on I-75 where speed limit is 70 MPH, if the car camera picked up a “40 MPH MINIMUM SPEED” sign, the set speed would change to 40 MPH, if no traffic was around me. If other cars are nearby, it was display the speed change to 40, but maintain the desired speed and also show a message about maintaining the speed to keep up with traffic flow.
It performs pretty well otherwise, but constantly resetting the speed with the scroll wheel was annoying.

Has anyone else experienced weird speed changes while on FSD on an interstate? Today on I-75 where speed limit is 70 MPH, if the car camera picked up a “40 MPH MINIMUM SPEED” sign, the set speed would change to 40 MPH, if no traffic was around me. If other cars are nearby, it was display the speed change to 40, but maintain the desired speed and also show a message about maintaining the speed to keep up with traffic flow.
It performs pretty well otherwise, but constantly resetting the speed with the scroll wheel was annoying.
Yep, I noticed the same thing on my way home from the eclipse last week. Once I crossed the GA state line on I-75 southbound, it felt like SFSD found every Minimum Speed 40 MPH sign and reacted to them. It was highly annoying. After encountering a few and scrolling the speed back up, I started disengaging and reporting them. I haven't noticed it elsewhere and I didn't have the issue northbound, but nav took me off I-75 at Dalton GA and I didn't rejoin it until Cleveland TN.

I've seen the thumbwheel change the speed when the new speed feature is enabled. Granted it doesn't do it all the times, but it has a number of times for me.

Be careful when you use the term highway and city streets. Because they are confusing and in some situations not correctly use. I have a LOT of highways for which are considered surface streets.

I believe that the correct terminology for when it switches speed controls is limited access highways, i.e. Interstates.

highway​

noun

high·way ˈhī-ˌwā

Synonyms of highway
: a public way
especially : a main direct road
Are you actually seeing anything in the UI when you use the scroll wheel? I don’t.

I’m not getting too hung up on the definition of a highway. The point was that whenever the car thinks it needs to switch to “highway” mode, using the FSD v11 stack, the auto speed offset will be disabled and you will no longer see AUTO in the UI.

Are you actually seeing anything in the UI when you use the scroll wheel? I don’t.

I’m not getting too hung up on the definition of a highway. The point was that whenever the car thinks it needs to switch to “highway” mode, using the FSD v11 stack, the auto speed offset will be disabled and you will no longer see AUTO in the UI.
There's a small up and down arrow in the new icon that turns on when you are scrolling the right wheel.

I'm assuming that it is still there in 12.3.4, since it is only a few days old, I'm not sure if I've confirmed it.

I know that I saw it, because when the speed I wanted wasn't there, I tried to roll the speed up, as in the past. But it didn't seem to roll up, but those darn arrows were new and definitely there. So it was positive confirmation that they seemed to be ignoring me. This is with the new speed control on.

Tesla has become very annoying and pain in the rear end lately. Sometimes I feel like I wanna go back to the 2017 Model S which did not have a camera inside and as long as I had something to jiggle the steering wheel I could go on Autopilot from here to eternity. This new thing is downright annoying. I have to intervene so frequently I just don't see the point in calling it Autopilot anymore. More like auto annoyance than autopilot! LOL FSD? far from it. They probably need to rewrite the whole code on C+ or whatever that was used !

In FSD, if I look down at my phone and text or check emails, or have my phone next to my ear talking, I get a warning to pay attention in the screen. I got booted out of FSD a few times for this. It seems like in FSD, it would be a safer time to check your phone. In regular driving without FSD, I don't get warned when on the phone or looking elsewhere. It seems like it should be the opposite to me, meaning safer to llok at a text or email when in FSD.

In FSD, if I look down at my phone and text or check emails, or have my phone next to my ear talking, I get a warning to pay attention in the screen. I got booted out of FSD a few times for this. It seems like in FSD, it would be a safer time to check your phone. In regular driving without FSD, I don't get warned when on the phone or looking elsewhere. It seems like it should be the opposite to me, meaning safer to llok at a text or email when in FSD.
Unless the car is doing all the driving (L3 or higher), it is never safe to look at your phone. Remember that FSD is an L2 driver assist feature - like cruise control. You are the driver, and you are responsible for safety. The car is just assisting you, like cruise control. Looking at your phone is a distraction and can lead to a horrible outcome just like texting and driving without an ADAS feature.