Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not asking for pressure on the steering wheel when on autosteering (beta)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife's 2013 Model Y Long Range is letting her drive on autosteering (beta) indefinitely without ever touching the steering wheel. The car only has basic autopilot, not enhanced or FSD.

When I drive the car with my profile, it's nagging me every few seconds.

I wonder if it has something to do with the position of her steering wheel compared to mine?

I believe the car uses both steering wheel torque and the cabin camera to monitor driver engagement, so maybe your wife is better at keeping her eyes on the road. I don’t think the steering wheel position would make a difference if you’re not touching the wheel. Also, if you and your wife are driving on different roads, that would make a difference too.

so maybe your wife is better at keeping her eyes on the road.
Or the car tracks their eyes differently, and that could be due to seat position, which would change the angle between face and camera, or perhaps the lighting on the face (being closer to the windshield). It could also be due to contrast between skin and eyes (including makeup), use of prescription glasses, sunglasses, hair being in the way or not, and so on. As @JulienW observes, just test it. Swap cars and see what changes.