TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How could i power my laptop with my model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by cipherTK, Sep 1, 2017.

1. cipherTK

cipherTK New Member

Hier folks,
    I am aware that the user manual says that we should not use our car as a power source for common things working at 230V.(France gère)
    Like a hoover or a computer.

But that would be great if I could still work on my laptop anywhere i park my car.
    I choose having a Big powerful laptop over having a long lasting one.

How could i do that?

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

You may be able to find a 12v DC plug for your computer. No DC -> AC -> DC path so it would save a bit of electricity.

You should be able to power your laptop, just make sure you don't exceed the current specifications for the 12v port.

What model laptop do you have?

4. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

We've used an inverter for precisely that purpose. Got it at Radio Shack about five years ago.

5. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Dismember

Same here: Dell had a travel power pack that has the common "cigarette lighter" plug for input. I'll often sit and work while my wife drives (we do a lot of road trips).

6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

If it's a common need to charge your laptop, I would hard wire an inverter that had double the capacity of your device.

• Disagree x 1
  7. TIppy

TIppy Active Member

[​IMG]
    This is what I use.

8. gsteele

gsteele Member

Most laptop power supplies will run on anything from 100-250 volts at either 50 or 60 Hz. So even a US inverter should work with your European laptop power supply if you can find the right travel plug adapter.

9. cipherTK

cipherTK New Member

Nice, si tu looks suite easy.
    My laptop is a Clevo P775DM3-G, its adapter is very big, it outputs 19.5v at 16A, as marked on the tag. It is made to be able to run big computer components, not mobile version of graphic cards for example.
    Maybe i dont even need an adapter.
    There are also USB type c ports, i should see if I can power my fat laptop with these.

10. cantdecide

cantdecide Member

I love my USB type c... On both my laptop and phone.
    When at work I charge my phone from a laptop charger, in the car I can charge my laptop with my phone charger, and on vacation I only take a portable phone charger.

In your car does the laptop already have USB c ports? If so I guess there is no harm in trying if your laptop says it can charge from us c. I have no idea if your laptop would be smart enough to request the higher voltage and higher amperage.
    However if your laptop want designed for usb c charging them it is unlikely to work.

11. TIppy

TIppy Active Member

USB-C is limited to 100 watts. It looks like your laptop requires over 300 watts.
    The fuse for the 12 volt lighter socket is 15 amps. To be on the safe side you should pull no more than 12 amps from it. That limits it to 144 watts. Looks like you are going to need to have an inverter installed in the car and fused separately.