Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How could i power my laptop with my model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hier folks,
I am aware that the user manual says that we should not use our car as a power source for common things working at 230V.(France gère)
Like a hoover or a computer.

But that would be great if I could still work on my laptop anywhere i park my car.
I choose having a Big powerful laptop over having a long lasting one.

How could i do that?

You may be able to find a 12v DC plug for your computer. No DC -> AC -> DC path so it would save a bit of electricity.

You should be able to power your laptop, just make sure you don't exceed the current specifications for the 12v port.

What model laptop do you have?

s-l1600.jpg

This is what I use.

Nice, si tu looks suite easy.
My laptop is a Clevo P775DM3-G, its adapter is very big, it outputs 19.5v at 16A, as marked on the tag. It is made to be able to run big computer components, not mobile version of graphic cards for example.
Maybe i dont even need an adapter.
There are also USB type c ports, i should see if I can power my fat laptop with these.

I love my USB type c... On both my laptop and phone.
When at work I charge my phone from a laptop charger, in the car I can charge my laptop with my phone charger, and on vacation I only take a portable phone charger.

In your car does the laptop already have USB c ports? If so I guess there is no harm in trying if your laptop says it can charge from us c. I have no idea if your laptop would be smart enough to request the higher voltage and higher amperage.
However if your laptop want designed for usb c charging them it is unlikely to work.

There are also USB type c ports, i should see if I can power my fat laptop with these.
USB-C is limited to 100 watts. It looks like your laptop requires over 300 watts.
The fuse for the 12 volt lighter socket is 15 amps. To be on the safe side you should pull no more than 12 amps from it. That limits it to 144 watts. Looks like you are going to need to have an inverter installed in the car and fused separately.