Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How could this affect Model 3 deliveries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobileye was instrumental in developing autopilot, but is not any longer. Tesla is only using their hardware for the current version and is no longer using any of their software. Seeing how the next iteration of autopilot is constantly rumored to be released any day now (and without anything Mobileye), I highly doubt Mobileye has any bearing on Tesla's plans and timing.

Reactions: Red Sage and PaulJB
I have followed this over the past week or so and have found it an interesting turn of events. Considering how instrumental Mobileye has been in the current autopilot, how do you foresee this affecting the Model 3's development and delivery date(s)?

Mobileye bailed on Tesla over Autopilot safety concerns

Honestly, not much. Regarding Mobileye, the fact is we really don't know who 'bailed' on who. We do know v8.0 Autopilot doesn't rely on Mobileye's tech (camera) as much as the radar system, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla had already been planning on this transition before 'pencils-down' of the Model 3. Given that autonomous driving is the other thing Tesla is heavily working on besides Model 3, I don't think it will slow them down much.

On a side note, I have a hard time believing the Mobileye exec's statement that Mobileye ended the partnership with Tesla given how he's badmouthing them. Truth is probably Tesla felt Mobileye couldn't keep up with innovation, Mobileye thought Tesla was moving recklessly too fast, and the break was somewhat mutual. *shrugs*

Reactions: Red Sage
That's good to hear. I know one of the biggest hurdles for the 3 will be to get all of the vendors to delivery reliably and on time and I thought almost instantly uh oh, these guys are going to make it difficult. I agree Tesla in innovating incredibly fast (enough to make me shake in my boots if I was a vendor).

Counterpoint, if you were the vendor being exposed to negative press after a fatality then it could make sense to distance yourself from the source. Especially if the hardware was being used in a way that the it was not designed. Even though they couldn't bare any legal burden, it could make your safety tech look less... safe?

Reactions: Red Sage
I don't understand how Mobileye is criticizing its own software. I believe that Mobileye is going to suffer more than anyone in this scenario.
Risky move, but they may be setting a precedent in the event of more Autopilot crashes and lawsuits. Saying "our tech has its limitations" now might prevent them from getting in hot water later.

And they're already so ingrained in the market so they'll probably be able to handle the hit from such a statement.

It sounds like they're perfectly happy as being part of the safety feature suite and less of the autonomous revolution. The other guys (toyota, mazda, subaru) will probably double down on that part of car safety and let the Telsa's of the world go beta.