Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How different are the 2015 Model X mules vs. 2012-2013 prototype(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because the windows were made larger by bringing the lower edge of the trim downward, that now interferes somewhat with the style lines that came across the front fender and below the leading edge at the front, as well as from the rear fender and forward below the rear windows. The absence of those styling cues gives an optical illusion that makes it seem the 'shoulders' are less pronounced. They are still fully there, it's just that the flourish of the styling pen is lost in translation.

[500th POST! w00+!]

This shear line catches the eye and makes a fine sailing yacht beautiful. In the original prototype the door crease reappeared in the fender and the fine built-in spoiler wrapped all the way to the corner. On the model S the fender has a graceful curve that ends in the taillight. On the mule MX a similar curve appears without a crease but terminates without a relationship to either the taillight or the spoiler. The details may be lost under the camouflage. I would expect the final version to have a very sweet rendition of these lines.

Because the windows were made larger by bringing the lower edge of the trim downward, that now interferes somewhat with the style lines that came across the front fender and below the leading edge at the front, as well as from the rear fender and forward below the rear windows. The absence of those styling cues gives an optical illusion that makes it seem the 'shoulders' are less pronounced. They are still fully there, it's just that the flourish of the styling pen is lost in translation.

[500th POST! w00+!]

Perception is, of course, the thing I'm talking about when talking design as a whole - as I've explicitly said, literally I don't expect the car to be less broad for example. So I agree.

A lot of this stuff, really, is lost in translation and/or communication.

We're saying the same things with different words much of the time. :)

That said, I'm not discounting the possibility that moving those windows closer to the shoulder line may have actually widened the top part of the vehicle a little, thus adjusting the broadness difference between shoulder and top of the car too. Hard to measure by sight alone.

A couple of more threads and choice images on this topic:

Visual differences: Model X prototype (2012/2013) vs. Mule(s) (2015)

16509913422_cff71c8c96_o.jpg

How much has Model X changed: mule (2015) vs. prototype (2012) silhouette

attachment.php?attachmentid=81273&d=1431901570.jpg

How has Model X nose changed since 2012 - and has it changed in 2015 mules?

attachment.php?attachmentid=85354&d=1435336023.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=85355&d=1435336026.jpg