Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I fast forward Tesla media? Or get it to resume playback where I left off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'm really bad at Google because I don't usually have to resort to making a thread for questions like this.

I primarily listen to the built in Tesla media options. I'm not sure what that's called exactly, but I guess it's the music and talk and podcast options that come with the premium connectivity. To be clear, I'm not talking Spotify or Tidal or anything where you have to log in.

I can't find any way to fast forward while playing a song. Some results on Google mention a +15 second button, or long pressing the progress bar by the song title and dragging it, but I don't see any +15 second button, and long pressing does nothing.

And is there a way to get it to resume where it was last playing when I get back in the car? If I want to listen to an hour long podcast, I'll currently listen to the first half on my way to work, then when I get back in the car, rather than starting where I left off, it starts from the beginning. It basically means I can't listen to it unless I plan on driving non stop for an hour...

Perhaps in Spotify or another app, but definitely in the one that I'm using for streaming. It's the orange icon with some vertical white lines. I'm not sure what the actual service is.
Absolutely in that one. (It is the default slacker account with the premium connectivity)
1682519315687.png

1682519331229.png

Last edited:
Perhaps in Spotify or another app, but definitely in the one that I'm using for streaming. It's the orange icon with some vertical white lines. I'm not sure what the actual service is.
I had same issue with this. There doesn’t seem to be an option and everytime you get out iof car it would reset to start. I found that switching the the tune in app made everything work much easier. They had all the news and pod cast that the other one did but was much easier to use.

Tried again this morning and I cannot scrub. Could it be that this is linked to the MCU version? I've got a 2020 so the old thing. Maybe the Ryzen system is the only one capable?
EDIT: Also, your icon seems to indicate Spotify? We're talking about basic music streaming...

I just tried this in my 2021 MYP. It seems that for whatever reason it is really difficult to start the scrubbing when using the Streaming/Slacker app, but it can be done, at least on my car. I had to try multiple times poking my finger at the left corner of the music controls (the left corner of the screen itself) before the track time appears and I could scrub it. With the Apple Music app it comes up immediately basically anywhere you touch on the progress bar. It's so sensitive for Apple Music (and Tidal when I used that before) that I find that I need to make sure I'm not touching the progress bar when swiping the music controls up or left so I don't accidentally scrub whatever I'm listening to forward or backward.

I signed up for Spotify just to test this. It does indeed seem to work fine with Spotify and I can scrub the song as one would expect.

Still no luck in Slacker. I sat for like five minutes trying over and over just to make sure the car didn't have some picky one pixel wide magic spot that I had to touch. I would just chalk it up to one app supporting it and another not, but if other people are able to get it to work in Slacker, then I really don't know. Also, what kind of music streaming app wouldn't support fast forwarding in the first place?

Reactions: GtiMart
Tried again this morning and I cannot scrub. Could it be that this is linked to the MCU version? I've got a 2020 so the old thing. Maybe the Ryzen system is the only one capable?
EDIT: Also, your icon seems to indicate Spotify? We're talking about basic music streaming...

I have no idea if it's tried to the MCU version but that seems unlikely.
Yes, my icon was for Spotify but it's the same for Slacker, the basic music streaming that you are talking about. I tested it this morning - the progress bar appears exactly the same for Slacker and Spotify, and I can scrub forward/backward on both. Sometimes I accidentally scrub when I go to swipe to the trip odometer card!

Reactions: GtiMart
Give it another shot. For whatever reason, it just started randomly working a couple of days ago. I can scrub in Slacker perfectly fine.

Scrub bar is VERY finicky, especially with the card not expanded up. I've never been able to get it to scrub when I am trying to scrub, but a few times it has scrubbed when I have been trying to hit previous/pause/next.

Shocking to me that with all that Tesla does well with software, they make impossibly small buttons for previous/pause/next with an even smaller tap target size.

Reactions: sfRonH
I haven't yet found a way to scrub the position in a song either so you're not alone. The only thing we get is to skip to the next song. I haven't tried podcasts but presume they work the same way.
I guess I'm really bad at Google because I don't usually have to resort to making a thread for questions like this.

I primarily listen to the built in Tesla media options. I'm not sure what that's called exactly, but I guess it's the music and talk and podcast options that come with the premium connectivity. To be clear, I'm not talking Spotify or Tidal or anything where you have to log in.

I can't find any way to fast forward while playing a song. Some results on Google mention a +15 second button, or long pressing the progress bar by the song title and dragging it, but I don't see any +15 second button, and long pressing does nothing.

And is there a way to get it to resume where it was last playing when I get back in the car? If I want to listen to an hour long podcast, I'll currently listen to the first half on my way to work, then when I get back in the car, rather than starting where I left off, it starts from the beginning. It basically means I can't listen to it unless I plan on driving non stop for an hour...
I'm having the same exact problem. The scrub bar used to work fine, but now it doesn't work at all. Perhaps the latest software update has something to do with it. Frustrated!