Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I get a hold of someone in the referral department?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story, I have been trying for months to get my friend his reward for using his referral link for when I purchased a model 3 performance.

I upgraded in August from AWD to performance after verifying with tesla over the phone that we would both qualify for referral benefits if I used his referral link for an upgrade instead of a new purchase (I would have canceled and re-ordered if needed).

When I contact tesla they say their computer shows that the referral was rejected due to the time frame? But they are unable to do anything to help me. My only point of contact is to email the referral program. I have contacted tesla about this issue over 5 times now and I never get any response. Is the only way to drum up a response to have a youtube channel and blog a video about this issue?

I feel like I owe my friend a wall connector. Maybe I should just buy one for him since tesla is failing to fulfill their referral program rewards? I mean I'm not asking for a roadster here just that my friend gets his free wall connector as I got my free supercharging!!!

Is there anyway I can escalate this issue? Tesla support is telling me there is nothing they can do because the referral department is not contactable except through email, even for them!

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I got my wall connector reward in October. They still haven't delivered. I've heard it takes up to 9 months between reward and delivery....

Their response times have also been very spotty as I'm sure they're being overloaded right now due to the closure of the program.

I got my wall connector reward in October. They still haven't delivered. I've heard it takes up to 9 months between reward and delivery....

Their response times have also been very spotty as I'm sure they're being overloaded right now due to the closure of the program.
Good to know, I just want him to at least have it coming vs being denied currently. I think what happened is I picked up my 3 in September, which had a different vin than the one I was initially assigned due to rejecting the first one due to glaring paint defects and door dings. So I have a feeling their system was showing I had a September order when in fact the only time I ever updated my order was in Aug. I cannot think of any other reason the referral was denied do to timing issue. But it is quite clear that I ordered in Aug as you can see above.

[email protected]

That email address works. I have had back and forth correspondence with someone in the referral department via email at that address, so I can confirm 100% that it is a live address. Now, it sometimes takes a "while" as in a few days to a few weeks to get a response. They are likely drowning right now in referral questions since the program just ended.

As far as the wall connector, I also qualified for that and ordered it through the referral program. It says "scheduled", and I suspect it will be some time before I get it. I already paid for one, and have had it installed already, I just figured the wall connector was better than the kiddy car, as I could sell it, give it away, keep it, etc.

I suspect that they only send out "X" number of these per month.. thats my guess anyway. In any case I dont know what exact issue you are having. It sounds like the referral doesnt show at all. You can email them and explain the situation in as much detail as possible (so that someone can take action with just the information in your email), and wait a few weeks.

From my correspondence with someone there, I was told its a "small team" so I dont think there are a lot of them in that department (so spamming them in email repeatedly is not likely a good option to get what you want).

Last edited:

I was in the same boat. Earned a referral in October...filled out the form, and basically no communication until two weeks ago when a very heavy wall connector arrived at the house.

Bottom line, don't expect any communication :)

Thank you for contacting Tesla. After reading your email I know there has been some confusion around if your car qualifies for the free Supercharging. I hope I can help clear this up for you. I know you mentioned your VIN was changed along the way, this would not matter with the Referral Department and if you qualify for the incentive. Basically, you qualify by what trim package you order and when you place your original order. You originally ordered on 6/30/18 and paid your $2500 deposit on that date to configure your new Tesla Model 3. That is the date we use to decide if you will receive this incentive of free Supercharging and your Referrer their reward.

In this case, you do not qualify. Our Referral Program did not include Model 3's until 8/1/18. This is the reason your friends Referral code cannot be added. The computer will not take the codes until 8/1/18 and only on Performance Model 3's.

Well that is NOT acceptable. I spoke with a tesla representative on the phone and they verified my upgrade from AWD to performance after the referral was announce on AUG 25th would in fact count for the referral program. I placed the order after the phone call. They even told me they put a note on my account. I called to verify that I could simply change my configuration using his referral link, and I did not need to cancel and re-order the car, they confirmed this. Now I'm being told that I was lied to?