Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I get charging location to work properly in the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plugged in at work today but the app is showing I charged at “other”. I’m pretty sure I just have to set my work location somewhere for it to show correctly but I’m not sure where I do that. Also, what if I have more than one work location? Can it handle that? TIA!

I plugged in at work today but the app is showing I charged at “other”. I’m pretty sure I just have to set my work location somewhere for it to show correctly but I’m not sure where I do that. Also, what if I have more than one work location? Can it handle that? TIA!
You didn't charge at a SC and you didn't charge at home. So by default you charged at "other". It doesn't matter if it's at work or at a hotel or shopping center, they still total it as "other".

I worried about mine for a while and finally gave up.
The car assigns the OFFICIAL U.S. POST OFFICE location for "Home". I happen to live in an RV park, so the front gate is the location for home and on navigate the car will insist I make a U turn and go back to the park entrance.

When the car is parked in my car port it shows the physical location correctly? If I charge the car while parked in the car port , (with my Tesla Wall Connector"), it correctly assigns the charging cost to the "Home" account? Although that is about a mile from where Nav believes "Home" is???? I have tried saving the car port location to "Work", which would be just fine as I am retired, except it believes "Work" is about 1/2 mile from my car port in the other direction??? It has never assigned charging to "Work". Superchargers cost are assigned correctly. Charging at a couple of friend's location have been correctly assigned to "Other". Free charging at motels weren't assigned to anything as far as I can tell? {How do it know the difference between friend = other and motel = }?

I did go the route of pointing out the Google maps calling lot E-7 the front gate and filed an editing suggestion with Google. Did the whole bit with uploading a video of standing at the location and turning a full 360º. Got a really nice thank you note from them and assurance they appreciated the information and would immediately make the change and it would take effect in 8 to 24 hours.

Nothing changed. Life goes on and I just ignore the wrong nav instructions.

My home charging was always showing up as other. I had gone into navigation and made sure my home was the correct address but this didn't work until I went to the grocery store and decided to navigate "home". After that the charging stats showed the car charging correctly at home.

I had gone into navigation and made sure my home was the correct address but this didn't work until I went to the grocery store and decided to navigate "home". After that the charging stats showed the car charging correctly at home.
Has this been the case for other people too, i.e. charging at home is not recorded as attributed to the home location unless if you had the navigation running to home before the charging started?

I noticed that for the last few days the app says that my car was charged at other locations. My Wife was driving the car more than I have recently and she tends to not use the navigation when driving familiar routes, like going back home.

Has this been the case for other people too, i.e. charging at home is not recorded as attributed to the home location unless if you had the navigation running to home before the charging started?

I noticed that for the last few days the app says that my car was charged at other locations. My Wife was driving the car more than I have recently and she tends to not use the navigation when driving familiar routes, like going back home.
It seems more random than that. I really never navigate to home - or at least all the way to home. For example on a trip, I may tell it to navigate to home, but by half way back (or on long trips the last charging stop) I know the rest of the way so I turn it off. And yet it has most of my charging correct. It does show 8% of it as "other" and all of those were at home. But it correctly attributes 55% of it to "home" (and the rest from trips on superchargers). Why it has that 8% as other I have no idea. Again, it seems pretty random to me.

My home charging was always showing up as other. I had gone into navigation and made sure my home was the correct address but this didn't work until I went to the grocery store and decided to navigate "home". After that the charging stats showed the car charging correctly at home.
I installed and set up a wall connector before I took delivery. All charging at home in my carport has always showed up in the App charge stats as "Home". The visualization shows my car in the carport correctly. If I navigate to Home it tries to take me .8 miles away. So I also saved the location while parked in my carport as "Work". Now if I navigate to Work, it takes me .3 miles in a different direction and Home continues trying to go 0.8 miles away. Because I selected "Always Navigate", any time I get in the car it plots a route 0.8 miles away and wants to take me there.

I also noticed that "home" "work" locations etc. are per profile as well. For example, I had my home location defined in the Nav so if I drove last and charged that night it would show up in the app but every once in a while the charge would show gray as in "other". Come to find out my wife hadn't set this yet in her profile. If she last drove the car it show as "other" in the app. Once she set her home location in the Nav it fixed the issue and it's been blue ever since.

• Informative
Reactions: Jerry Ham