Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased Amp for Already Installed Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ccourt75

Aug 11, 2023
CT
I got my Model Y in May and only had the option for minimal 20amp install. The electrician just upped me to 50amps today. Before I plug in the charger the app shows me 48A but once it's plugged in it drops to 15A.

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the wall connector entirely or is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? TIA for any help!

Solution
You need to re-provision the Wall Connector for the new 50 amp circuit. You will need the password that is in the documentation that came with the Wall Connector (The password can also be found on a label on the inside of the Wall Connector cover.) You would use the password to connect to the Wall Connector's local Wi-Fi hot spot using your phone's Wi-Fi. Flipping the circuit breaker off and back on should initiate the Wall Connector's Wi-Fi polling for users.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

This Youtube video includes the steps for provisioning starting at about the 10:40 mark.

You need to re-provision the Wall Connector for the new 50 amp circuit. You will need the password that is in the documentation that came with the Wall Connector (The password can also be found on a label on the inside of the Wall Connector cover.) You would use the password to connect to the Wall Connector's local Wi-Fi hot spot using your phone's Wi-Fi. Flipping the circuit breaker off and back on should initiate the Wall Connector's Wi-Fi polling for users.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

This Youtube video includes the steps for provisioning starting at about the 10:40 mark.

Upvote 0
Solution
I got my Model Y in May and only had the option for minimal 20amp install. The electrician just upped me to 50amps today. Before I plug in the charger the app shows me 48A but once it's plugged in it drops to 15A.

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the wall connector entirely or is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? TIA for any help!
Was it wired with the appropriate gauge originally to support a 50amp circuit?

Reactions: lencap and Beans4Me
Upvote 0