Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I know if wheels need balancing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After changing to my summer tyre/wheels (Michelin Pilot) I have noticed a slight "vibrant/swishing" sound from one or more of the wheels on the motorway. There is no steering wheel vibration or any kind of vibration that I can feel. The wheel cover is securely fitted. Might one of my rear wheels be unbalanced? Or is there another possible cause?

After changing to my summer tyre/wheels (Michelin Pilot) I have noticed a slight "vibrant/swishing" sound from one or more of the wheels on the motorway. There is no steering wheel vibration or any kind of vibration that I can feel. The wheel cover is securely fitted. Might one of my rear wheels be unbalanced? Or is there another possible cause?
Sounds like it could be a wheel balance issue. It is about $40 to get them balanced so that is the easiest thing to do.

Reactions: Cogarch
Upvote 0
Sound? But no vibration? I'd look carefully at the tread to make sure there isn't any cupping or feathering starting. If you can't tell, maybe take your 3 to one of those tire shops that do free alignment checks. Also, how did your winter tires look?

Reactions: Cogarch
Upvote 0
Sound? But no vibration? I'd look carefully at the tread to make sure there isn't any cupping or feathering starting. If you can't tell, maybe take your 3 to one of those tire shops that do free alignment checks. Also, how did your winter tires look?
Thanks -- that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I will look into it. FWIW my winter tyres were fine when I put them away (I had occasion to inspect them in detail after spending a lot of time getting the bits of gravel out of the treads!)..

Upvote 0