Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do i retract the spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all-

My spoiler is up and stays up at all times. How do i lower it or set it to active? The only thing I found is on Tesla's site but it's wrong. It says to go to controls->service->spoiler mode but there's no "service" subsection under controls

This is for a 2023 MXP.

Honestly they really should let the spoiler retract. Kind of like how the A7-S7-RS7 for Audi does it. 85+ MPH the spoiler will automatically come out, and then you can manually do it as well. Would be really cool if they had that option

It was supposed to do cool tricks like that, but they had so much trouble with it, they gave up fixing it and made it "fixed".

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
It should retract, it would help efficiency at speeds under 80 mphs. Being the "efficiency" company Tesla is, they solved a likely maintenance headache by fixing it. A retractable spoiler would be a very expensive and cool retrofit, likely with low demand due to certain high cost. Also controlling it would be not integrated with the car's own software. No such product exists. For exotic cars like the Carrera GT there are replacement "eRam" kits to avoid hydraulics, I wish someone made one for the X, but likely it would require custom tailgate so the cost would spiral well north of 10-15K.

Reactions: MikeChicago
The retracting spoiler moves flat so you can see out the window at speeds lower than 45 mph. It was originally offered only on the performance models when the car was first produced but a few of the earlier regular cars got them also. I like mine. great way to determine the car is locked from a distance as the spoiler retracts flush when locked.

Fixed spoiler saves weight, complexity, motor and multiple gears, software, warranty costs etc. Early automated spoilers were prone to failure, damage in car washes and generally provided little value. One less thing for Tesla and customers to deal with. The best automated spoiler is no automated spoiler.

Reactions: rhumbliner
Fixed spoiler saves weight, complexity, motor and multiple gears, software, warranty costs etc. Early automated spoilers were prone to failure, damage in car washes and generally provided little value. One less thing for Tesla and customers to deal with. The best automated spoiler is no automated spoiler.

Now it just blocks seeing out the rear window. They should have just removed it completely.

I guess so I've never had this issue with automated spoilers with audi lol

Reactions: MikeChicago