Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I tell what alarm has gone off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mostly I'm not getting alarms at all, but today I heard a loud noise and a red box appeared on the screen and quickly disappeared. I have no idea why - a car was turning right (into a driveway) a bit ahead of me, but was in the next lane and in no danger of any collision. I reviewed camera footage and didn't see anything that looked odd to me, so how do I tell what the alarm was for?

Mostly I'm not getting alarms at all, but today I heard a loud noise and a red box appeared on the screen and quickly disappeared. I have no idea why - a car was turning right (into a driveway) a bit ahead of me, but was in the next lane and in no danger of any collision. I reviewed camera footage and didn't see anything that looked odd to me, so how do I tell what the alarm was for?
A red "box"? With text or it was maybe a red coloured vehicle avatar out ahead of you? If your collision warning is set to early detection you can easily get triggering in situations where you might not thought it not yet crucial to react. It is pretty aggressive at warning you on the most sensitive setting. Which is probably okay in case of situations where something has drawn your attention away from in front of you, it gives you a good amount of time to bring your attention back and assess the situation.

A red "box"? With text or it was maybe a red coloured vehicle avatar out ahead of you? If your collision warning is set to early detection you can easily get triggering in situations where you might not thought it not yet crucial to react. It is pretty aggressive at warning you on the most sensitive setting. Which is probably okay in case of situations where something has drawn your attention away from in front of you, it gives you a good amount of time to bring your attention back and assess the situation.
It probably was a red colored avatar/car but it flashed so quickly I couldn't really see it. I do have collision warning set for early but I have not had ANY warnings work except today and one other day (in the 2 weeks I've had the car) even tho I think some should have.

Is there a different warning avatar for lane departure, collision, etc.?

It probably was a red colored avatar/car but it flashed so quickly I couldn't really see it. I do have collision warning set for early but I have not had ANY warnings work except today and one other day (in the 2 weeks I've had the car) even tho I think some should have.

Is there a different warning avatar for lane departure, collision, etc.?
The ELDA will scream at you and flash the lines beside your car, the "lane lines" red and pop up regular, red error message that you should have time to notice. It'll say something about making a steering correction for safety, I forget the exact text. LDA will either vibrate your steering wheel slightly or tug at the wheel in the direction it thinks you should have steered. If it doesn't sense driver input before it triggered again it'll put up a yellow warning message that you should take control.

Both those error messages should be up long enough to at least notice there is text to them.

I'm a two-footed driver and I found the car will beep at me if I tap the brakes at the same time as the "gas". Took me a few weeks to figure that out. It is a very brief warning that you almost never can see.
It gives you a very small bit of travel on the brakes before it'll throw that error, but yeah. I never had a problem seeing, although I don't look at it at all now because when it happens now I know it is happening and why the beep occurred. Maybe I'm just quicker at glancing so my "you should be able to notice that error message" assertions should be taken with a large grain of salt. :p

What I experienced was a LOUD chime and some red object on screen but no text and I was on a city street so no lane markings. This happened when a car in front of me was turning right.

Separately I remember the vibration when I did test drives, but when I inadvertently crossed part way into another lane on the freeway nothing happened (but there was no car nearby - does that matter?).