Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Do I Use Dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
How do you save dash cam footage with V11? According to the manual you tap the icon but all that does for me is attempt to bring up the viewer which glitches and shows a message saying I can only be viewed while in park.

1645842701162.png

If you enable the On Honk option you can save a DashCam recording when you honk the horn.

Dashcam (if equipped): When enabled, cameras can record and save video footage of the surrounding roadway (see Dashcam). Customize Dashcam by selecting:
  • Auto: Dashcam automatically saves a recording to the USB flash drive (if available and installed) in situations where Model Y detects a safety event, such as a collision or airbag deployment.
  • Manual: You must touch the Dashcam icon to save a recording of the most recent 10 minutes of driving to the USB flash drive.
  • Off: Dashcam is disabled until you select Auto or Manual.
  • On Honk: When you press the horn, Dashcam saves a recording of the most recent 10 minutes of driving to the USB flash drive.

It appears that in V11 if you have Dashcam set to Auto then the only way to save a Dashcam recording is to honk the horn. If you have Dashcam set to manual then you can tap the Dashcam Viewer icon and this will save the recording. Another win for V11.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
Question: Regardless of the size of your drive, will it overwrite every 10 minutes or will it record a new one 10 minutes long until it runs out of space? I was also under the impression that if you tapped the dashcam icon it would save, if you held it, it would pause (while driving)

Question: Regardless of the size of your drive, will it overwrite every 10 minutes or will it record a new one 10 minutes long until it runs out of space? I was also under the impression that if you tapped the dashcam icon it would save, if you held it, it would pause (while driving)
Dashcam captures video in 10 minute clips. After 1 hour, unless you have saved a clip, Dashcam overwrites the data. Once saved a Dashcam clip is stored in the Teslacam folder until you delete it.

Saving Dashcam clips can be set to Auto, Manual, Off and On Honk. With V11 of the Tesla UI you can't manually save a Dashcam clip by tapping the Dashcam Viewer icon if Dashcam is set to Auto. The only way to save a Dashcam clip when Dashcam is set to Auto is for a triggering event such as a collision or airbag deployment; also when you honk the horn.

The only way to save a Dashcam clip when Dashcam is set to Auto is for a triggering event such as a collision or airbag deployment; also when you honk the horn.
I think I figured this out - if you tap the car icon on the lower left and open the setting screen there's a dash cam button you can push that will save the clip. Another win for V11 - Not documented well and not convenient but it seems to work, at least.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I think I figured this out - if you tap the car icon on the lower left and open the setting screen there's a dash cam button you can push that will save the clip. Another win for V11 - Not documented well and not convenient but it seems to work, at least.
I forgot about the option that requires you to first navigate to a separate screen and then tap the button to save the Dashcam recording. Two screen taps while driving; no thanks.

Reactions: ArtK and sleepydoc
With version 2022.4.5.3 it appears that the ability to save a Dashcam clip by tapping the Dashcam icon has been restored.

"Quickly save Dashcam clips by adding the Dashcam icon to your bottom bar. Simply long press any app icon to enter edit mode, then drag Dashcam to the bottom bar for quick access. Tap the Dashcam icon to manually save a clip while driving."

Reactions: sleepydoc
With version 2022.4.5.3 it appears that the ability to save a Dashcam clip by tapping the Dashcam icon has been restored.

"Quickly save Dashcam clips by adding the Dashcam icon to your bottom bar. Simply long press any app icon to enter edit mode, then drag Dashcam to the bottom bar for quick access. Tap the Dashcam icon to manually save a clip while driving."
Yeah, I saw that - that makes a lot more sense. I can verify that 2021.44.30.21 does not have this feature; it's incredible how half-baked and poorly thought out V11 was. Hopefully they'll keep working to fix it.

I'm in the FSD beta program which may actually be hurting me in this regard since the FSD upgrades seem to be less frequent. I updated to 44.30.21, FSD 10.2 a few weeks ago. From the sounds of things Tesla is working on a major revision to V11 so I'll probably have to wait for that to get other updates unless they're critical issues that Tesla has to push out earlier.