Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you decide? Regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been lurking these forums for a while and I think I've made the decision to bite the bullet and go with a MS. I crossed off the 3 and Y since we need the bigger back seat for 3 kids and my wife hates the Model X - doors mostly.

I was able to test drive both the Long Range and the Performance - in that order. My wife and I were both impressed when we drove the Long Range, but dear lord, when we took the Performance out is was unlike anything I've ever experienced. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since then.

I only drive about 10-15 miles on a work day and then probably 100 over the weekend. I can't help but think that most of that exhilirating power is going to be wasted on my mundance no-highway commute.

We take 2-3 trips a year of 150 miles in each direction so I don't think that range will be an issue with either option.

So there's a 20k gap in price with similar finishes. I don't think that I care enough about FSD in its current state and even if they add reverse summon... I'm not letting the car park itself just quite yet.

THEN there's the whole issue of whether this "refresh" is actually coming. I definitely won't be looking for a track car (plaid), but can't help thinking that there is some cosmetic change coming this year. I am in a lease up in May and it's starting to force my hand.

So how do I decide? Range/Performance? Is this the right year to be getting into a MS? I'm sure many of you have faced a similar situation. Any regrets going down either path? Please enlighten me, because I am overwhelmed with decision paralysis!

...decision paralysis!

I think you are on the right track in choosing a Tesla.

Based on your rationales, I agree to eliminate the 3 and the Y. Since your wife doesn't like the Falcon Wing Doors, the X is also eliminated.

That part is easy so far.

The next part remained is for the S, and which S: Long Range Plus with 390-mile range or Long Range Performance with 348?

Since both have more range than the rest of other Teslas, I would say you can't go wrong with either one.

The next is Performance or not? If you can afford it, then go for it. Performance has always been expensive so only you can decide whether you want to pay more for it or not.

Of course, financially, it might be a waste for Performance if you can't use it in stop-and-go traffic commute. But you can certainly enjoy it during road trips so that should be fun and well worth the expense.

...I don't think that I care enough about FSD in its current state...

What I enjoy the most is Auto Lane Change. It does it much better than I can!

Also, I used to miss a freeway exit quite a lot of time because of distractions, talking on the phone or in person, but no longer ever since I use Navigation on Autopilot.

...some cosmetic change coming this year...

Unless someone has access to secrete information, it's very difficult to know when!

I would buy when I need it, and not waiting for uncertainty.

...Any regrets...

Everything has a price so I don't regret what I bought.

Of course, if I have money then sure I would get a Model S performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors and PrGrPa
So I take it you are attempting to figure out if you want the performance or just long range?
I can't figure out if I want an S or the 3. I started a thread to help with that myself.
Which P will it Be? P100D or M3P

I've been on the board for several years and read many post on this subject. I have NEVER found anyone that purchased the performance to regret their decisions.

As far as waiting to see what is around the corner, well, Elon often mentions no refresh for the S, just minor improvements. I feel that they have made some great improvements over the year or so.

So to recap;
Get the car when you are ready, it's always a good time to buy.
Go for the performance, you won't look back. That push your foot down smile is hard to pass up.

The Model S LR is already very fast, so unless you really want to shave off the extra second and a bit off your zero-to-60, it may not be worth it to get the Performance based on your budget limit.

I personally don't care about FSD as that is not coming anytime soon. Even though Navigate on Autopilot is cool, I don't think its worth the $7 to $9K Tesla wants for it.

So I take it you are attempting to figure out if you want the performance or just long range?

Yes, I just had to say it in way too many words :)

Performance or not? If you can afford it, then go for it. Performance has always been expensive so only you can decide whether you want to pay more for it or not.

You're right and honestly compared to times in the past when it was 30-40k gap between models I wouldn't have even questioned it. But 20k seems to be that seductive sweet spot... I have the cash, but I could always find something else to spend it on.

so unless you really want to shave off the extra second and a bit off your zero-to-60

All really good thoughts. I am coming from a zippy little BMW with a 0-60 around 4.5 seconds, which I used to think was zippy enough! I guess even the improvement to sub 4 second is remarkable... but oh man that performance acceleration is addictive.

Even though Navigate on Autopilot is cool, I don't think its worth the $7 to $9K Tesla wants for it.

That's kind of how I'm thinking about it.

Ultimately, noone can make the decision for me, but I was wondering how other people approached the same question.

The Long Range is plenty fast and delivers all the features you might appreciate. From my perspective, selecting the Performance is more about having the extra $$ to spend on a discretionary benefit, given the "extra" enjoyment you will receive from having the highest-end model. It's certainly not required to enjoy the car every day, and you are the only one who can gauge the value vs. putting that money to work someplace else.

I concur with @SilverGS regarding pass on FSD. Standard AP provides the majority of features you will actually use today. NoAP doesn't add much value yet (and is often annoying); the only useful feature you will lose is Auto Lane Change.

I have a Performance model. No regrets. It’s a fantastic car. The added performance is a bargain for $20k and it’s a blast to drive.

Where do you find that the extra power really shines? Do you feel it in everyday driving or is it really limited to wide open throttle driving - red lights, on/off ramps... I mean I won't be at the track or drag strip any time in the foreseeable future.

My 2 cents, you mentioned you don’t have a long highway drive and thought performance might then be a waste... I mean, it’s not like you get on the highway and are accelerating 0-60 constantly. The regular S is plenty fast for me and everyone else that regularly drives an ICE that’s ever gone for a ride in mine. The whole allure of the performance model is that insane 0-60 but, to me, that’s kinda just a stunt/trick. It’s not a day to day feature. Day to day I don’t think you’d find any appreciable difference going LR over performance. And then you’d have an extra 20k.

Reactions: SilverGS
it’s not like you get on the highway and are accelerating 0-60 constantly

That's true, but on ramps, off ramps, passing, merging, overtaking... that's where power comes in to play. More so than driving from traffic light to traffic light. I guess what you're saying is that the LR would keep up fine in all of those situations. I can see how the head snapping acceleration could turn into more of a party trick at some point.

I went with LR+, for a couple reasons:

1. I anticipate using the car fairly frequently for trips from southern Utah to California and Colorado. Wide open spaces, especially when you get off the beaten tracks of the Interstates, which I intend to do. Any bit of extra range will help, I think.

2. Performance I am sure would be way fun, especially when sprung on unsuspecting passengers. But that joy is not worth $20k to me, especially since said passenger’s only and first exposure to a Tesla will be in mine.

As far as FSD, I went with it knowing it is not ready for prime time, but it buys me into incremental improvements in the coming years. The engineer in me made me do it.

Where do you find that the extra power really shines? Do you feel it in everyday driving or is it really limited to wide open throttle driving - red lights, on/off ramps... I mean I won't be at the track or drag strip any time in the foreseeable future.
I feel it in every day driving. Car stays in Ludicrous unless my wife is with me then it’s in Chill. It’s most exhilarating off the line so red lights, getting on to highway, pulling out of work or my subdivision, etc. Highway driving, merging, passing is effortless. I can’t see the feeling getting old and it doesn’t seem like a party trick to me. This my be my last car and I wanted to do it up without having to always second guess myself. In my younger days I probably would have made the more practical choice and gone with a LR. They are both great cars.

• Love
Reactions: UkrHog
I have been lurking these forums for a while and I think I've made the decision to bite the bullet and go with a MS. I crossed off the 3 and Y since we need the bigger back seat for 3 kids and my wife hates the Model X - doors mostly.

I was able to test drive both the Long Range and the Performance - in that order. My wife and I were both impressed when we drove the Long Range, but dear lord, when we took the Performance out is was unlike anything I've ever experienced. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since then.

I only drive about 10-15 miles on a work day and then probably 100 over the weekend. I can't help but think that most of that exhilirating power is going to be wasted on my mundance no-highway commute.

We take 2-3 trips a year of 150 miles in each direction so I don't think that range will be an issue with either option.

So there's a 20k gap in price with similar finishes. I don't think that I care enough about FSD in its current state and even if they add reverse summon... I'm not letting the car park itself just quite yet.

THEN there's the whole issue of whether this "refresh" is actually coming. I definitely won't be looking for a track car (plaid), but can't help thinking that there is some cosmetic change coming this year. I am in a lease up in May and it's starting to force my hand.

So how do I decide? Range/Performance? Is this the right year to be getting into a MS? I'm sure many of you have faced a similar situation. Any regrets going down either path? Please enlighten me, because I am overwhelmed with decision paralysis!

I went through this debate in late 2016 when I specd my car between a S90D and P100D. The price difference was about 40k. I went with the 90D. I sometimes regret it but my car is plenty quick. I also don’t find myself flooring that much anymore in order to save the new tires. (I got 38k miles from my factory set).

But if the price difference had been 20k, hell yes I would have purchased the performance. There’s just something about knowing that I “can” use that much power. And of course the performance model today is actually about the same price I paid for my S90D. (Granted no fed tax credit now.)

I didn’t buy autopilot initially but did get the entire FSD and autopilot suite during the 5k fire sale.

I do like the ability to change lanes with just the blinker and not disengage Autopilot. I don’t think the basic lane keeping allows for this. (I don’t use navigate on Autopilot very often. I prefer to be in control of when to change lanes.)

Last edited:
My 2 cents, you mentioned you don’t have a long highway drive and thought performance might then be a waste... I mean, it’s not like you get on the highway and are accelerating 0-60 constantly. The regular S is plenty fast for me and everyone else that regularly drives an ICE that’s ever gone for a ride in mine. The whole allure of the performance model is that insane 0-60 but, to me, that’s kinda just a stunt/trick. It’s not a day to day feature. Day to day I don’t think you’d find any appreciable difference going LR over performance. And then you’d have an extra 20k.
This is a good thought and I agree. With the price somewhat competitive for performance, it's a hard decisions to leave so much on the table when you drive away. This is what makes it, the ultimate question, not so much of the practicality of it all.

The only car a faster car a LR is going to see at a stoplight is another Tesla

This is the thing that I think sums it up best. I really am leaning toward the LR+. I also am very curious to see what these announcements that are coming this weekend will bring regarding 400 mile range and the new software updates.

I do like the ability to change lanes with just the blinker and not disengage Autopilot. I don’t think the basic lane keeping allows for this.

This is obviously on purpose. This is the one feature that would make me want the FSD in its current iteration. If they added this to the basic AP I don't think as many people would upgrade.