Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you guys allocate your USB ports?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slot 1- 128GB Samsung FIT Plus USB key for teslacam exclusively.

Slot 2- 4 port USB hub that was recommended here and was like 10 bucks on amazon. Into that are plugged both iphone charging cables for the factory charging dock locations, and a 256GB Samsung BAR Plus USB key filled with about 200GB of high quality music.
4-port splitter is what I utilize + OEM phone charger cables for the dock.

I only needed to drill one hole in the front compartment. Once you pull the trim off (really easy) - right next to the 12V outlet is a small rubber grommet. That comes out and there’s enough room in the “gap” it leaves to pass the power cable through.

The replacement power cable I linked to above fits through there *perfectly*!

did you put the grommet back over it? i'm using the grommet on the passenger side to pass my satellite radio power cable through, but i like having the grommet back on top of it to keep it in place and protect the cord. the satellite radio power cord is very thin, so i know there's not much room there...

Reactions: dmurphy
did you put the grommet back over it? i'm using the grommet on the passenger side to pass my satellite radio power cable through, but i like having the grommet back on top of it to keep it in place and protect the cord. the satellite radio power cord is very thin, so i know there's not much room there...

No, I removed the grommet altogether. I thought about “deepening” the notch so it fits, but I haven’t yet.

Reactions: crackers8199
Sure but what if I like leaving that dedicated sentry drive in there and then do music on a separate USB which I can carry back and forth. Or how about if a friend brings their USB.
I"m not a big fan of doing them on the same drive, either. It's fine if you're using a big (250GB+) SSD drive that has advanced wear leveling and lots of extra space, but for a smaller USB stick or SD card, I wouldn't want music to be statically using 70-80% of the drive and having all the Sentry files rotating on the last 20-30%.

I"m not a big fan of doing them on the same drive, either. It's fine if you're using a big (250GB+) SSD drive that has advanced wear leveling and lots of extra space, but for a smaller USB stick or SD card, I wouldn't want music to be statically using 70-80% of the drive and having all the Sentry files rotating on the last 20-30%.

You could repartition it every once in a while so that the Sentry partition is at the other end of the drive. It would be the flash drive equivalent of rotating your tires.

Here's my setup:

USB1: 256 GB high endurance micro SD card partitioned into Music and TeslaCam/Sentry partitions, connected via adapter.

USB2: Portable battery

Battery: USB-C PD for fast charging cell phone dock position 1, USB-A to lightning (or whatever I need to swap that out for depending on my passenger) for slow charging phones in dock position 2.

I've tried splitter setups in the past but had bad experiences with them. It caused USB music to not work well and resulted in more corrupted TeslaCam videos.

USB2: Portable battery

Battery: USB-C PD for fast charging cell phone dock position 1, USB-A to lightning (or whatever I need to swap that out for depending on my passenger) for slow charging phones in dock position 2.

I like this idea in theory. But I worry that extreme hot temperatures in the cabin when the car is parked in the sun on summer days would result in degradation of the battery, and cold temps in the winter would keep it from providing enough power to work properly when the battery is cold.

I have the Taptes wireless charger and the splitters , and then I have 2 x Sandisk usb with a formatted 128gb micro sd card. One I’d hoped to use for dashcam and one maybe for music.

what am I doing wrong when I plug it all in with the splitters I can only get one of the sandisk/sd to work so that covers dashcam etc . But then I can only get one half of the Taptes wireless charger to work.

I have the Taptes wireless charger and the splitters , and then I have 2 x Sandisk usb with a formatted 128gb micro sd card. One I’d hoped to use for dashcam and one maybe for music.

what am I doing wrong when I plug it all in with the splitters I can only get one of the sandisk/sd to work so that covers dashcam etc . But then I can only get one half of the Taptes wireless charger to work.

make sure you're plugging each thing into the correct side of the splitter. one side is power/data, the other just power.