Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does FSD data collection work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mimetz

Supporting Member
May 21, 2023
I'm a happy and impressed FSD user who is curious about how Tesla gathers FSD data, filters and uses it to improve future versions.

My first question is re Teslas not using FSD. Musk has implied that the millions of Teslas currently on the road are somehow providing the company data that will improve FSD. What data might this be, and how is it gathered and utilized?

Second question is regarding cars like mine that are using FSD. I'm guessing that when my car is sitting in the garage at night, within range of my house wifi, video clips of FSD disengagements are uploaded to Tesla (tho I have no actual evidence of that). But if that is correct, what happens next? Is there a manual review of those clips to see which might be useful for training purposes? (Sounds prohibitively labor intensive.) If not then is there a software-based review of the uploaded clips that somehow sorts the useful clips and feeds them to the neural network?

Thanks for any help educating me.

I'm a happy and impressed FSD user who is curious about how Tesla gathers FSD data, filters and uses it to improve future versions.

My first question is re Teslas not using FSD. Musk has implied that the millions of Teslas currently on the road are somehow providing the company data that will improve FSD. What data might this be, and how is it gathered and utilized?

Second question is regarding cars like mine that are using FSD. I'm guessing that when my car is sitting in the garage at night, within range of my house wifi, video clips of FSD disengagements are uploaded to Tesla (tho I have no actual evidence of that). But if that is correct, what happens next? Is there a manual review of those clips to see which might be useful for training purposes? (Sounds prohibitively labor intensive.) If not then is there a software-based review of the uploaded clips that somehow sorts the useful clips and feeds them to the neural network?

Thanks for any help educating me.

Tesla collects all kinds data from your car: coordinates, video, telemetry... No wifi needed.

We know that because Tesla can announce after an accident that the system didn't detect the presence of hands on steering wheel for how long and fast the speed was...

There's no manual way for you to let the FSD team to examine your sample.

You can verbally report to the team through the voice command.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Tesla collects all kinds data from your car: coordinates, video, telemetry... No wifi needed.

We know that because Tesla can announce after an accident that the system didn't detect the presence of hands on steering wheel for how long and fast the speed was...

There's no manual way for you to let the FSD team to examine your sample.

You can verbally report to the team through the voice command.
Good point, you're correct, but how does Tesla do that, what technology is transmitting the data?

Upvote 0
Good point, you're correct, but how does Tesla do that, what technology is transmitting the data?
It collects telemetry continuously as long as the modem and 12V are intact even after an accident.

Larger data such as video have to wait for wifi.

Please warn the nudists to not go to the fridge in the garage to retrieve beers because Tesla might have a peeping Tom

Upvote 0
Thank you. Excuse my ignorance but I didn't even realize my car had an internal modem transmitting data to the mother ship over the phone network. But surely there's not sufficient bandwidth for video transmission from the cameras?

Upvote 0
Thank you. Excuse my ignorance but I didn't even realize my car had an internal modem transmitting data to the mother ship over the phone network. But surely there's not sufficient bandwidth for video transmission from the cameras?
The telemetry is cheap so it transmits to the server almost in real time. Most of the time, in a severe accident, the data is transmited right up to the loss of 12v (battery crushed/dislodged in front).

The video is expensive so it stays in the memory chip in the car until it can be unloaded by wifi automatically or after an accident, some one (investigator) can physically take that memory chip out to play the video.

Tesla can absorb the cost of telemetry transmission.

For the video transmission, it wants owners to pay their own wifi to transmit it to Tesla. It's at your Internet expense.

If Tesla is generous, video should transmit fine without wifi if Tesla is willing to pay the cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0