Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD getting things right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do agree I have the right of way vs merging traffic but regardless, if the merging car is driving straight into my side (which car is slightly ahead of the other is irrelevant at that point), I feel the car should take some action to avoid a collision. The car may very well do something at the last minute violently in an unexpected way but I do not want to wait to see.
I see your point but that's not the whole picture. Let's say both you and the merging car are even with each other traveling at the same speed. Both cars maintain their direction. Meaning you keep moving straight ahead at your current speed and the merging car maintains their speed and direction towards you. Who is at fault when the merging car runs into you? This question is self answering. Let's avoid an accident for sure, but the onus is totally on the merging car.

Last edited:
Merging I think is always going to be difficult for any kind of autopilot type system as long as there are humans involved. It is a very dynamic environment and peoples feelings and egos get in the way of making rational decisions some times.
I think that a neural network control system will be able to do a great job with this. I know that my reaction to a difficult merge is instinctive at this point. I shudder at the idea of developing a Merge Algorithm in a heuristic language, so I think that whoever did Tesla's did a pretty good job. Not great, but pretty good.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I think that a neural network control system will be able to do a great job with this. I know that my reaction to a difficult merge is instinctive at this point. I shudder at the idea of developing a Merge Algorithm in a heuristic language, so I think that whoever did Tesla's did a pretty good job. Not great, but pretty good.

Ohh I agree that they have done a pretty good job. The issue is the crazy merging lane drivers which in our area is a lot! haha.

Reactions: JB47394
I do agree I have the right of way vs merging traffic but regardless, if the merging car is driving straight into my side (which car is slightly ahead of the other is irrelevant at that point), I feel the car should take some action to avoid a collision. The car may very well do something at the last minute violently in an unexpected way but I do not want to wait to see.
In my experience, FSDb is handling these types of tight merges pretty well (as the non-merging car). When a car wants to merge and beings to proceed in front of FSDb, it slows down, then slows further as the car enters the lane.

Merges onto highways, however - where FSDb is the merging car - are a little more hit or miss in my experience. FSDb usually tries to advance to the end of the merging lane and do a zipper merge. But this often creates disengagements because it misses the opening and has to decelerate quickly. I hope this is addressed - it should merge when there is a safe opening to do so, not at the very end.

In my car, if the car merging is already ahead of me, it will slow down appropriately mostly but when the car merging is somewhat even with me side-by-side the car pretends like it's not there at all and just continues driving at the same pace. If I was driving, I would either slow down or speed up to avoid contact or the merging car having to stop suddenly. In such cases, I have to take over pretty consistently.
It's incumbent on the merging car to find a clear space, rather than start to merge when side-by-side. I think FSDb behaves properly in most of these situations. But I too disengagement sometimes just to be polite :)

Reactions: sleepydoc
As long as we're talking about merging, I recently had an experience merging onto a high-speed freeway (70mph sign, so many go 80+, 5fwy between SoCal and Norcal) where my car accelerated very strongly to 84 on its own while on beta because there was a truck (like Ford F250, Chevy Silverado size) approaching rather quickly behind me. I wasn't sure whether to be impressed or disturbed at the aggressive maneuver (safer to merge behind the truck even though i was technically in front).

As long as we're talking about merging, I recently had an experience merging onto a high-speed freeway (70mph sign, so many go 80+, 5fwy between SoCal and Norcal) where my car accelerated very strongly to 84 on its own while on beta because there was a truck (like Ford F250, Chevy Silverado size) approaching rather quickly behind me. I wasn't sure whether to be impressed or disturbed at the aggressive maneuver (safer to merge behind the truck even though i was technically in front).
I can understand why Beta made that decision. The repeater camera can clearly see the Ford and measure it's speed. It thought it could accelerate to merge safety in front. What it may not have been able to do is ascertain what cars, if any, were behind the Ford. If it slowed to merge behind the Ford, it may have ended up trying to merge with a long line of cars behind it.

Reactions: mgs333
Hi all -

I've been using FSD for the last 8 months. And while I experience a fair amount of screw-ups and disengagements, I've also noticed how comfortable I'm getting using FSD on every drive. It occurred to me that we (rightly) put a heavy focus on where FSD needs to improve. But I think this can diminish the progress it's made over time. I take for granted all the situations it now handles routinely. Things that created disengagements in the past. And capabilities that - for the most part - are unknown to the average driver (maybe even the average Tesla driver!).

So over the last week, I saved and labeled clips of all the things FSD is doing right. I don't have a GoPro setup in my car so these are just dashcam clips. You'll have to take my word that FSD is engaged on each clip and I have not disengaged at all during these videos.

Let me know what you think. Despite its imperfections, FSD now handles many every day driving situations really well.

Video:

I agree. I always tell people that FSD beta is absolutely amazing. The technology is truly astounding. It’s not perfect, but the fact that I can get in a car and it handles 99% of my driving is unbelievable to me.

This is HW3 on a 2023 MYP. I usually drive on Average or Assertive, this video is probably a mix of both. I usually don't select "minimal lane changes" unless I'm on the highway, where I sometimes want to select speed-based lane changes on my own.

My only complaint with lane changes is that it sometimes tries to initiate what is obviously a tight change, and then swerves back into original lane when realizing it. Rather than waiting for a better opening. But all in all I think lane changes have improved a lot.
Interesting. I thought all MY changed to HW4 in 2023 after April especially MYP. HW4 is not usable at signaled intersections unless there are no traffic. It won't recognize left green arrow and yields to cars that are waiting on the opposite direction to go straight. Half of the time, it disengages at intersections.

Interesting. I thought all MY changed to HW4 in 2023 after April especially MYP. HW4 is not usable at signaled intersections unless there are no traffic. It won't recognize left green arrow and yields to cars that are waiting on the opposite direction to go straight. Half of the time, it disengages at intersections.
Not sure I would agree with that. I have HW4 (23 MSP) and it works at every left arrow, signal, and never disengaged. Same for my HW3 MYP.

Reactions: superblast
This MY was delivered in November 2022 and still on HW3. Also lucked out with one of the last cars to have USS.