Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the Performance version have the same 310 range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, very much appreciated. I heard something long ago that was false and/or incomplete. Appreciate the accurate info.
If anything with the Model 3 it’s the brake pads that need help.
The pack and drive train seem able to cope with track time but the standard pads give up really quickly.
I honestly think the Model 3 is how the new Model S & X will be. It’s a technological leap forward.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Along with this, the 3P motors are binned /sorted so they are more efficient/ powerful than stock AWD, so that provides an efficiency increase.
Possibly enough of an increase to overcome the extra mass and friction of the front AC induction motor.
Whereas the S/X has two AC Induction motors with different gear ratios that trade off operation for peak mileage, the 3 will likely rely heavily on the more efficient rear PMSR motor.
When not energized, the front motor produces no additional drag beyond the purely mechanical effects.
I don’t know what physical process would allow the “binned/sorted” P3D motors to be more efficient. With the same wheels/tires, I’d expect the P3D to have similar efficiency to the 3D.

My personal experience driving a Model 3 LR for several hundred miles is that it handily exceeds rated range.
This is very true. If you maintain 65 mph it is much easier to beat the EPA on the M3 compared to a 'S' or 'X' or the Leaf. No super human effort needed to get 330 miles range. On 80F day with no head wind and elevation, you can get EPA range even at 75 mph.

I don’t know what physical process would allow the “binned/sorted” P3D motors to be more efficient. With the same wheels/tires, I’d expect the P3D to have similar efficiency to the 3D.

Part to part variation in the main switching devices in the drive unit results in varying levels of efficiency. Since heat generation has a negative impact of the switching characteristics of the parts, the efficiency boost can be in the 10s of percent. However, this improvement will impact maximum power more than total DU efficiency due to the high inital motor vs electronics power usage. P unit are tested twice as long and selected from the units the output the most power/ generate the least heat.
Bearing, gear, and assembly tolerances could also impact overall performance, but that is less in my knowledge sphere.

Analogy: feeding the same motor or other electric load with a larger wire reduces wire losses and increases load power.

This is very true. If you maintain 65 mph it is much easier to beat the EPA on the M3 compared to a 'S' or 'X' or the Leaf. No super human effort needed to get 330 miles range. On 80F day with no head wind and elevation, you can get EPA range even at 75 mph.
I’ve definitely seen this in practice.
My old Leaf never got it’s rated range or anywhere near the Guessometer range.
My Model 3 is consistently accurate or better range than indicated.
Also Tesla is doing this without needing new motor designs all the time. This bodes very well for the future.

I’ve definitely seen this in practice.
My old Leaf never got it’s rated range or anywhere near the Guessometer range.
My Model 3 is consistently accurate or better range than indicated.
Also Tesla is doing this without needing new motor designs all the time. This bodes very well for the future.
Well, the Model 3 does have a new motor design...

The energy required is mass x (delta v)^2... accelerating to 60mph requires the same energy regardless of how quickly you do it, disregarding minor losses due to increased heat in the battery pack, motor, etc.
Yes, and doing so in 3 seconds means that you have also done it in 50 feet. Doing so in 3 minutes means you spent the same amount of energy over 5 miles. Which one equals better 'gas mileage'?

Yes, and doing so in 3 seconds means that you have also done it in 50 feet. Doing so in 3 minutes means you spent the same amount of energy over 5 miles. Which one equals better 'gas mileage'?

In 50 feet, the 3 second acceleration case uses less energy than the 3 minute acceleration case. (Mostly kinetic vs kinetic, aero, and accessory)

If comparing identical distances traveled, the 3 second to accelerate case uses more energy for motion due to increased air resistance (speed). However, it uses less energy to run HVAC, lights, and computers due to shorter travel time. So which is more efficient will depend on the actual situation.

The hyper mile races (ICE type) often operate by accelerating at their max efficiency point to a preset speed, then shutting off the engine to coast.....

@RayW ,I think you had a typo: it's 1/2×m×v^2 or 1/2×m×(vf^2-vi^2) for change in speed.