Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Turo renting work with Tesla's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
I drive a MY and since I'm going to Europe in a couple of months I wanted to rent a Tesla through Turo. I've used Turo before for a ICE vehicle and the owner met us and physically gave us a key. However, with a Tesla, wouldn't the owner just need to add me to their Tesla account? Would I need a physical key to add my phone to the list of keys? Can the user track where I go? What about radio stations and streaming audio playlists?

There are rumors that Tesla will be introducing "cloud" preferences at some point in the future. That would make some of these questions more straightforward (streaming playlists, etc.)

I don’t know how things will work in Europe, but I’ve rented a Model 3 once in the US and have a couple of upcoming rentals. The person I rented from gave me access to the app at no extra charge, but some renters charge extra for that. You would need a physical key card to set up your phone as a key. I brought a music USB so I didn’t need to login to any services while using the car (I listen to the music USB in my Tesla). I created a new driver profile, and before returning the car, deleted my profile, phone key, phone Bluetooth pairing, and navigation destinations.

You can look at reviews of your Turo host before deciding who to rent from.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
Like EVRider-FL, I've rented Teslas on Turo but just in the US. I've always just used the key card and not messed around with the app since it's always only been a 2 or 3 day rental. Yes, of course, the renter could check on where you've been. They could also pull up the dash cam and see where you've parked ect. My feeling is that most of them wouldn't do that unless you gave them reason to be suspicious. I think Turo renters like to rent to fellow drivers because they don't have to spend time at the airport showing you how to set up profiles, use the car, ect. Just read their profiles and they will always let you know specifics like whether SCing is free ect.
Let us know how the renting in Europe goes. Is this a left side driving or right side driving country. I've been in left side driving countries before and it definitely takes a while getting used to. Driving straight down the road isn't too bad. It's when you make a turn where things can get hairy if you let your guard down.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
That's great information! I will be spending 2 weeks in England so (hopefully) I'll have time to get used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

I did reach out to the renter and he said that he would meet us at the airport to give us keys and such. I'm really hoping he gives us access to the app because I want to be able to condition the car as well as check on charging status.