Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How embarrassing ! Did I get a lemon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Horn will be controlled by the BCM. Whilst technically run by software, this is a system based on dual redundant controllers and it MUST not fault, otherwise nasty things could happen. For example it could lock the doors after an accident, windows/liftgate could close on fingers, etc. Or lights could fail to come on in the dark or go off during driving - NOT good! It also manages the keyless entry system so incorporates multiple security systems.

More likely, faulty/contaminated switch.

Horn will be controlled by the BCM. Whilst technically run by software, this is a system based on dual redundant controllers and it MUST not fault, otherwise nasty things could happen. For example it could lock the doors after an accident, windows/liftgate could close on fingers, etc. Or lights could fail to come on in the dark or go off during driving - NOT good! It also manages the keyless entry system so incorporates multiple security systems.

More likely, faulty/contaminated switch.
Do you know if the BCM has a high-current driver that drives the horn directly, or is there a relay in between? There may be the chance for a sticky relay (so low tech!)

I agree, apart from the legal definition I consider a lemon to be a vehicle that has consistent mechanical problems that prevent you from driving the car. This isn't to make any excuse for all the issues you're encountering. You have a right to enjoy your vehicle when you get in rather than cringe while awaiting the next nuisance problem.
This probably depends on the state, but in CA something that's in the shop for more than 30 days, even if it's for annoying nuisances, it's generally considered to be a lemon. Quality standards apply to everything covered by a warranty, although for mechanical problems the threshold can be much lower, something like a few visits depending on whether or not they can affect safety.

I agree, apart from the legal definition I consider a lemon to be a vehicle that has consistent mechanical problems that prevent you from driving the car. This isn't to make any excuse for all the issues you're encountering. You have a right to enjoy your vehicle when you get in rather than cringe while awaiting the next nuisance problem.

This probably depends on the state, but in CA something that's in the shop for more than 30 days, even if it's for annoying nuisances, it's generally considered to be a lemon. Quality standards apply to everything covered by a warranty, although for mechanical problems the threshold can be much lower, something like a few visits depending on whether or not they can affect safety.

Most states use language (or very close to) that says the manufacturer has to refund or replace the vehicle after a "reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle." What constitutes "reasonable number of repair attempts" is generally left up to the judge or arbitrator. There are sometimes rules for certain situations that would be presumed reasonable attempt to repair (e.g. 30 days in the shop). Some states have very aggressive presumptions for number of reasonable attempts for safety situations. Some states expand the standard of definition of a covered problem to include anything the manufacturer's warranty covers. So yes despite the similarities there are substantial differences from state to state.

Hard to say if the OPs situation falls into the Indiana Lemon Law. I'd suggest he talk to a lawyer if he's not happy with the number of issues.

Do you know if the BCM has a high-current driver that drives the horn directly, or is there a relay in between? There may be the chance for a sticky relay (so low tech!)

There's a picture on the 'net f Tesla's bcm - it's a module made by a UK company "Pektron".
No relay, but I think it uses a high side driver ic which is effectively the same thing but electronically implemented.

Yes, that's specifically why I said "apart from the legal definition." I understand why the statutes are written the way they are; to me there's a "reasonableness" test that hasn't necessarily been met in this case. The 120 mile distance to the service center certainly doesn't help matters in this instance.

The good news, it hasn't done it again. Of course, I've only tried the horn once or twice for testing purposes. It works just fine from the App, which I just tried from inside my house :) Of course, that doesn't put any pressure on the actual horn. So, it's not a matter of pressure activation only.

Hey, sorry about these little issues you're having so early on after delivery, although honk issue is fair safety issue, I tend to use mine often as there are so many not paying attention drivers around here.

On the seat belt issue, how did you fix it? I have mine twisted and I've tried everything my brain could think of to fix it, but with no sucess.

Sorry about not seeing your Question skboston! From memory, the tech pulled the belt fast to make it lock up and then kept tension on it.
He then folded the belt over on itself at about a 45 degree angle while it was not belted (latched).
THEN while holding the belt and 45 degree angle part, he just slid the part that latches OVER the folded part.
Then it just unfolded and voila... gone.
I was trying to twist it somehow right in the buckle part itself and that is just too tight to work.
Basically it takes 10 seconds... fold it below the buckle, slide buckle over it, and it unfolds. If it's worse than before, fold it the other way (twice now) :)