Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far ahead of production should we expect to see specs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably a dumb question, but seems like early models may roll off the assembly line mid 2023 (maybe not for delivery but similar to what they did at Austin for the MY). Assuming that (big assumption), shouldn't the specs be finalized by now? At least for things like

Exact Dimensions (L, W, H)
Motor and Battery configurations
4-wheel steering (Yes/No)
Ability to power your house (2-way power) or at least supply 240VAC
Wiper configuration
Side view mirror configuration

Some of these decisions could be delayed until closer to production. But some, such as Dimensions, have to already be determined if they're tooling up.

Or is any expectation of a 2023 delivery just a pipe dream?

I would think that after the preproduction Trucks are built and tested specs would be released. Just incase they need to do some changes with the Trucks or equipment. Have they built any preproduction Trucks yet? Maybe specs come out toward the end of 2023? Unless they don't build any preproduction Trucks and just go straight to deliveries.

I went back and looked at Model 3 and Model Y launches.

With the Model Y you ordered the car at launch and had the full Specs from go. Deliveries happened a year later.

With the Model 3, the config page didn’t launch with full specs until 1 month before deliveries started.

I wouldn’t worry overmuch about not seeing the final specs yet. We’ll see beta trucks on the road before it happens.

I’m sure we’ll see at least some deliveries in 2023. Tesla just dropped half a billion or so getting the last of the assembly line equipment to Texas. They don’t do that until they are in the last inning.

I would think that after the preproduction Trucks are built and tested specs would be released. Just incase they need to do some changes with the Trucks or equipment. Have they built any preproduction Trucks yet? Maybe specs come out toward the end of 2023? Unless they don't build any preproduction Trucks and just go straight to deliveries.
There are rumors that 20+ Beta trucks have been made. At the earnings call Musk said he was getting his soon. We’ve also seen the half-built truck frame in Texas. Not sure when they will make a public appearance.