TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How far will my insurance pay for towing?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by cwoernle, Aug 27, 2018.

1. cwoernle

cwoernle Member

I live 168 miles from the closest Tesla service center. Does anyone know how far a USAA auto insurance rental and towing rider will pay for towing? USAA rep said coverage is to the closest service center, but I felt she was not referring specifically to Tesla-approved service centers. A flat tire is one thing but while the car is under warranty I'd like to use Tesla centers.

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

I've been towed 100 miles on USAA's dime to get to the nearest Tesla-authorized service center. Call and clarify to be sure.

3. boiler81

boiler81 Member

Doesn't Tesla cover all road-side assistance and towing during warrantee?

• Like x 1
  4. gbrgbr

gbrgbr Member

my m3 was towed about 90 miles to the nearest tesla certified body shop. insurance paid.

5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

except for problems caused by draining your battery to zero, which apparently happens occasionally.

6. silentsnow31802

Also you get one free tow per event.

7. cwoernle

cwoernle Member

All encouraging replies. Thanks.

8. Need

Need Active Member

If it is still under warranty, roadside assistance will tow up to 500 miles to the closest service center if the car broke down unless it is a flat tire. Flat tire is only 50 miles. Now if the car was in an accident, that's on you I guess. I didn't know insurance covers towing expanse, I guess it would. But I have AAA Plus so I will probably just call them for the tow.