Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast do you drive? And what about range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mostly do highway driving, and usually drive my ICE cars at about 70-85mph depending on traffic and speed limits. Sometimes I’d even touch 90 or over, but not for very long.
I understand that at high speeds there is more drag / air resistance so it’ll impact range (mpg in ICE). But how much does fast driving really impact the range?
What is a good highway speed without killing the range too much in folks’ experience.

I mostly do highway driving, and usually drive my ICE cars at about 70-85mph depending on traffic and speed limits. Sometimes I’d even touch 90 or over, but not for very long.
I understand that at high speeds there is more drag / air resistance so it’ll impact range (mpg in ICE). But how much does fast driving really impact the range?
What is a good highway speed without killing the range too much in folks’ experience.

Here are some estimations (speed is the biggest hit to range on the car, and driving 80 will knock it down a lot, even if thats the speed of traffic). You simply will need to plan to stop more, etc.

Teslike.com.

I am on a trip right now, and the longest leg was 203 miles from a 90% charge, and the car said "keep speed at 65mph or under to reach the next charging station. I slowed down to 65mph, and made it with 12 miles left. Even doing 70mph was too fast to make it. So I would never plan on over 200 miles on a charge if you can help it. Too much range anxiety. Less distance, quicker charges is the way to go. Plan the charging stations and select that as the destination, instead of the end point. My car changed charging stations on the fly and made me miss some charging stations and arrive with very low miles left.

Reactions: Tsmod3fsd
Didn’t some people who like math compute that the answer is simply to drive as fast as you are comfortable to get to the next supercharger? I.e. driving “slowly” to conserve range isn’t worth it.

When I first bought this car I thought I wouldn’t be able to tolerate long distance travel in it due to all of the concerns cited here. After our first proper road trip, my opinion flipped completely around. Set it to %, cruise at 75 - 80, and forget about it. Autopilot is a godsend. As is the absence of noise fatigue from the engine and the mental toll that I personally experience from thinking about all the mechanical wear going on - even if it’s mostly in my head. It’s the most stress-free long distance driving I’ve ever experienced.