Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast will Model S go in Reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the motor actually turns backwards. There is no reverse 'gear'. And it can turn either direction at the same speed. So as fast as your car will go forward is the technical answer. I imagine that Tesla has the speed software limited to 25 or 30 mph in reverse. As having rear turning isn't a stable system.

yep, as already said in theory as fast as it can go forwards although of course it is limited to be safe.

An odd example of this capability in EVs would be a race at the goodwood festival of speed where a nissan leaf was raced on the course backwards...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the motor actually turns backwards. There is no reverse 'gear'. And it can turn either direction at the same speed. So as fast as your car will go forward is the technical answer. I imagine that Tesla has the speed software limited to 25 or 30 mph in reverse. As having rear turning isn't a stable system.
I also noticed there is no regen in reverse when I first got the vehicle. I haven't retested it recently.