Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How future proof is model 3 hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can say more future proof than the S or X for sure.

Elon saw what happens when he tries to pull the same stuff on 3 owners that S and X owners shrugged at.

What do you mean my neighbor can get my car for 5K cheaper??!!

What do you mean I got the stripped performance model with the same suspension, brakes and wheels of a 35K Model 3 but I don’t get track mode???? Why can’t Tesla certify whatever I throw on??!

Imagine if March 1st, HW3 rolls out and Elon says nope - actually can’t replace HW2. Sorry.

Oh and it comes with a HUD and dropping the price a other 5K to further increase adoption of sustainable transport.

TMC would crash and never come back online. :D

Last edited:
What can Homelink 5 that's missing with the version in the Model 3?

I believe the newer versions of homelink support two way communication, so if the Model 3 supported this and your garage door opener did as well it would be able to send discrete open and close commands instead of a single command that is either “open” or “close” depending on the current state of the door.
Not only discrete open and close commands the car can query what the door is currently doing such as opening, closing, open or closed. I have a Homelink 5 opener installed at my house.

Imagine if March 1st, HW3 rolls out and Elon says nope - actually can’t replace HW2. Sorry.

Oh and it comes with a HUD and dropping the price a other 5K to further increase adoption of sustainable transport.

TMC would crash and never come back online. :D
He will be adding an air suspension option as well. Can't wait to complain about not having it.

Last edited:
It would be nice to know if the garage door is open or closed. I don't think my current garage door opener is Homelink 5 capable though.
I can use my Chamberlain garage door app to check as well. I can also ask Siri because it is Apple Homekit compatible.
IMG_3616.jpg
IMG_3617.jpg

In that case it's really more of a limitation of my garage door opener than the Model 3.
Yes you can use your phone but if I'm going to be 15 miles away somewhere all day I may just have my car drive home and park in my garage then come back and get me when I summon it. Yes this is a long time from now example but what I don't want happen is my car to drive into my door because it doesn't know what's going on. Basically stuff like this Summon failed and hit my garage.

Thanks folks, for all the replies. To clarify, I asked about Tesla Model 3 in general, and not about how it compares to other Tesla models.
Also, regarding how it compares to buying a BMW or Subaru, when I bought my Subaru, I just bought it for its reliability and it driving capabilities (4wd etc). I never expected any updates.
But, Tesla model 3 is a game changer. I feel like I'm buying a cool gadget. And it is a platform whose capabilities are unlocked by the software. So, it is like a bunch of building blocks, some hardware some software. By buying this car, I'm buying a "platform". Let's say 5 years down the line, the software can do more more wonders, some features requiring more compute, and if I have the option to upgrade the computer in the car to newer hardware (which will be order of magnitude faster), I would gladly do so, because I'm not paying for the full car. 8 years down the line, if I want, I can just replaces the batteries. This way, I'll end up keeping this car much longer than I would keep any other car. A bigger better display with better ways to interact, I'll just upgrade that piece. What about 5G? It will also be a constant revenue stream for Tesla ;-)
So, I'm just trying to see how modular the car is..

Yes you can use your phone but if I'm going to be 15 miles away somewhere all day I may just have my car drive home and park in my garage then come back and get me when I summon it. Yes this is a long time from now example but what I don't want happen is my car to drive into my door because it doesn't know what's going on. Basically stuff like this Summon failed and hit my garage.
Seems like a software update should be able to add this functionality assuming your garage door supports homelink 5.