Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is 10.3.1 compared to 10.3 ?

How would you compare 10.3.1 to your experience with 10.2 ?

• 10.3.1 is much better

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 10.3.1 is somewhat better

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • They are about the same

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • 10.3.1 is somewhat worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10.3.1 is much worse

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like 10.3.1 is noticeably better and was pleased that I could actually tell a difference. The biggest improvement to me is the creep speed and not stopping so far away from stop signs. I also noticed some of the smoothness and less of the crazy acceleration some others have mentioned.

On a side note, the acceleration out of turns cracks me up. There is a certain turn near my home that is almost 180 degrees, uphill, and you start from a stop sign at the bottom. When driving manually, the power is limited when the steering wheel is turned and the traction control always kicks in. When FSD is driving, both of those can be bypassed because the only time my car has ever spun the wheels there mid turn was with FSD! Makes me excited for when track mode finally arrives for MYP.

Reactions: powertoold
Has anyone noticed an automatic (!!) set speed increase from 50 to 70 mph?

AP/FSDbeta 10.3.1 was driving on Central Expressway eastbound (see below). There's a speed-limit change from 45 to 50 mph and my AP set speed jumped to 70 mph before getting to Mary Ave. I didn't change my set speed. Going 20 over a 50 mph speed limit is way too much.

FSDbeta_speed_limit_jump.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Has anyone noticed an automatic (!!) set speed increase from 50 to 70 mph?

AP/FSDbeta 10.3.1 was driving on Central Expressway eastbound (see below). There's a speed-limit change from 45 to 50 mph and my AP set speed jumped to 70 mph before getting to Mary Ave. I didn't change my set speed. Going 20 over a 50 mph speed limit is way too much.
Any chance it happened while crossing under the freeway? I have a road near me that runs underneath the freeway and 100% of the time with/without FSD beta the car thinks it is on the freeway and thus tries to set speed to 50 mph no matter what road it just came from

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
That could be it. It's a regression and has never happened prior to FSDbeta. I'll try repro'ing it.

Any chance it happened while crossing under the freeway? I have a road near me that runs underneath the freeway and 100% of the time with/without FSD beta the car thinks it is on the freeway and thus tries to set speed to 50 mph no matter what road it just came from

Now that in Seattle area we are back to normal programming a.k.a. rain, I'm seeing "bad weather - AP not available". But, FSD continues to work !

Today I had the dreaded - freeze midway on the street when turning left problem. Its the neighborhood road at 25 mph and low traffic. Not sure what happened, there were cars coming from the left and right - but at a distance. FSD decided to turn - and mid way stopped/disengaged.

ps : Hats off to people who have the nerve to try unprotected left on busy & fast roadways.

Never used to get bad weather warnings earlier in rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG_NJ
I only had 10.2 for a few days before getting 10.3.1, but they seem about the same and quite honestly, I was adjusting settings like Chill vs Aggressive, so it's hardly been a disciplined basis for comparison.

I've been using 10.3.1 as much as I can and it is definitely unpredictable and at times dangerous when other cars are nearby. Phantom braking on residential streets, turning wide (into the left lane) when making a sharp right at light, and stopping at a stop sign in the middle of the road so that oncoming traffic was blocked (and angry). Well marked roads with a center stripe and traffic lights are generally fine - though it brakes WAY late when approaching a car stopped in front of it. Hard braking anyone?

I don't get the jerky steering, though. Back and forth with the wheel, like someone who can't see past their nose and has to make constant adjustments in the turn. No one drives like that.

I tried again yesterday and couldn't repro the 50 to 70 spontaneous speed change. I had my speed set to 53 in the 45 zone and I noticed that it got switched to 50 when I got into the 50 zone. It didn't maintain my 53 speed setting.

I changed some FSD settings (Profile: Average to Chill) and driving conditions were different as I ran into a lot of traffic.

I understand they’re updating the map data reasonably frequently (not the major update that you see in the software settings but some additional overlays), so this behavior change could’ve happened through that mechanism

I did a bit of testing last night.

- Auto highbeams are a bit random. Sometimes they only go on for a second or so.

- I had a couple phantom braking incidents. One of them was legit braking (vs coasting) when a car was passing me on the right and I must have slowed 10 mph in a couple seconds. I'm glad that passing car wasn't behind me. I looped back and tried reproing, but it didn't brake so I think it was the passing car that triggered the phantom braking. I've used AP on this same road at night without any phantom braking.

- My Tesla swung-out right (almost like it was trying to avoid a head-on collision) and straddled the lane marker for a second before returning when I was going around a bend and came up on a car coming the opposite direction. There was no FCW alarm or anything. It's a separated road (absolutely no risk) and the oncoming car was way ahead. I've used AP on this same road at night without any issues.

1st pic: Driving the middle of the lane
2nd pic: Straddling the lane marker

FSDbeta_10_3_1_night_error_correction.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Nearly flawless drive last night on most of the same roads. No phantom braking even in traffic, just slight coasting slow-downs on turns where visibility was reduced and you can't see around the bend. No emergency maneuvers or lane departures.

I did encounter a potentially dangerous bug/regression though.

Nearly flawless drive last night on most of the same roads. No phantom braking even in traffic, just slight coasting slow-downs on turns where visibility was reduced and you can't see around the bend. No emergency maneuvers or lane departures.
Variability of NN output.

The slowdowns are I think because of uncertainty. When the car is not sure about the lanes or where are all surrounding cars are - it slows down.

Reactions: mark95476