Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is everyone disinfecting their interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about cranking up the heat in the car to eliminate the virus. Based on the source article it dies at 60 degrees Celsius or 140 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.

Just park in direct sunlight and crank the heater...may need to augment with an electric space heater with a high BTU output.

source: Stability and inactivation of SARS coronavirus

View attachment 531126
Good idea. Someone should tweet Elon and ask for a Virus-Eradication mode! :D

140F does seem really high though. I'm not sure I want to expose my interior to such temperature on a regular basis. Can't imagine it would be good for the seats or other parts of the interior.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
My girlfriend works as an ICU pharmacist at a hospital where there are Covid patients being treated. I wanna know what is a quick and safe way to clean and disinfect my interior? I say quick because this is something I’m gonna have to do 4 or 5 times a week. Don’t want to use disinfecting wipes since they’ll likely be too harsh. Can I spray 70% isopropyl alcohol on most of the car’s interior and wipe it off? I know it’s safe on the seats and the screen. I also have Lysol spray I could use on the floors and trunk/frunk. I usually use Car Guys’s Super Cleaner but that’s obviously not a disinfectant.
Tell her to wash her hands before leaving work.

Tell her to wash her hands before leaving work.
Not just her hands. She'd need to change out of her work clothes before getting into the car if the car is shared with others.

We have an ICU doctor in the family and as soon as he gets home, he strips down, puts his clothes in the washer and runs it. He has the advantage of having his own car, so he doesn't need to worry about disinfecting it since no one else in the family gets into it. Recently, several patients he's treated have succumbed to COVID-19, so he's self-isolating from his family at home just in case he may have become infected.

Reactions: hydro 481
Good idea. Someone should tweet Elon and ask for a Virus-Eradication mode! :D

140F does seem really high though. I'm not sure I want to expose my interior to such temperature on a regular basis. Can't imagine it would be good for the seats or other parts of the interior.

In a locked vehicle, a dark dashboard, steering wheel or seat can often reach temperature ranges of 180 - 200 degrees F, which then warms the air trapped inside a vehicle.

Here's how hot temperatures can get in your car

2699751_1528397343782.jpg

• Informative
In a locked vehicle, a dark dashboard, steering wheel or seat can often reach temperature ranges of 180 - 200 degrees F, which then warms the air trapped inside a vehicle.

Here's how hot temperatures can get in your car

View attachment 531224
200F? Yikes. That’s close to boiling water temp. :eek:

That test was conducted in Arizona and I’ve been there during July and the heat is no joke. So I can how see how 200F would be possible. People in Arizona can get free disinfecting for their cars courtesy of the sun :D

Not just her hands. She'd need to change out of her work clothes before getting into the car if the car is shared with others.

We have an ICU doctor in the family and as soon as he gets home, he strips down, puts his clothes in the washer and runs it. He has the advantage of having his own car, so he doesn't need to worry about disinfecting it since no one else in the family gets into it. Recently, several patients he's treated have succumbed to COVID-19, so he's self-isolating from his family at home just in case he may have become infected.
This is pretty much what my gf does minus the changing clothes before getting in the car. She wipes down all her belongings before leaving work and once she gets home she throws her clothes immediately in the washing machine and showers. I can’t find any feasible way to have her change out of her clothes before leaving work though. I was joking (maybe) about spraying her whole body down with Lysol :D

The truth is you can be as thorough and diligent as you possibly can but it’s near impossible to cover all your bases. I see people outside shopping wearing gloves but still touching their phone and stuff. Most don’t really think about cross contamination.

My girlfriend works as an ICU pharmacist at a hospital where there are Covid patients being treated. I wanna know what is a quick and safe way to clean and disinfect my interior? I say quick because this is something I’m gonna have to do 4 or 5 times a week. Don’t want to use disinfecting wipes since they’ll likely be too harsh. Can I spray 70% isopropyl alcohol on most of the car’s interior and wipe it off? I know it’s safe on the seats and the screen. I also have Lysol spray I could use on the floors and trunk/frunk. I usually use Car Guys’s Super Cleaner but that’s obviously not a disinfectant.

You don't need to. Viruses die when they dry. There are millions of viruses, hundreds of variants, and they all end up dead about as soon as they leave a nice, warm, moist human, unless they happen to reach another warm moist human within seconds.

As most cars are dry inside, you're pretty safe. Unlike when you kiss your girlfriend good night. You don't get it from your car, you get it from warm, moist humans. That's why there's a 6' distance rule. When it dries, it dies.

Your car is sterile. There is no need to "wipe it down" four or five times a week, unless you slobber a lot, and I mean a LOT.

You don't need to. Viruses die when they dry. There are millions of viruses, hundreds of variants, and they all end up dead about as soon as they leave a nice, warm, moist human, unless they happen to reach another warm moist human within seconds.

As most cars are dry inside, you're pretty safe. Unlike when you kiss your girlfriend good night. You don't get it from your car, you get it from warm, moist humans. That's why there's a 6' distance rule. When it dries, it dies.

Your car is sterile. There is no need to "wipe it down" four or five times a week, unless you slobber a lot, and I mean a LOT.
According to WHO:
Q&A on coronaviruses (COVID-19)
How long does the virus survive on surfaces?

It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary under different conditions (e.g. type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment).

If you think a surface may be infected, clean it with simple disinfectant to kill the virus and protect yourself and others. Clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, or nose.

For someone who works in an environment with known COVID-19 infected individuals (such as the OP's girlfriend), don't you think it would be prudent to err on the side of caution?

hat test was conducted in Arizona and I’ve been there during July and the heat is no joke. So I can how see how 200F would be possible. People in Arizona can get free disinfecting for their cars courtesy of the sun :D

I was in Tempe AZ for work a few years ago, during July also. Hertz made us sign a document stating if we left an ink pen in the car, and it exploded, we were responsible for the cost to clean the inside of the car. She told us it happens more times than we would think. I couldn't believe how hot the door handles and steering wheel got. Unfortunately, the business we were at had no shade in the parking lot..

• Funny
I was in Tempe AZ for work a few years ago, during July also. Hertz made us sign a document stating if we left an ink pen in the car, and it exploded, we were responsible for the cost to clean the inside of the car. She told us it happens more times than we would think. I couldn't believe how hot the door handles and steering wheel got. Unfortunately, the business we were at had no shade in the parking lot..

If they had only done that at the truck rentals near that 7' 8" bridge.

I think erring on the side of caution would be to not share a same car as someone with exposure to the virus. Especially not for non-essential purposes.
Ideally, yes, don't share a car with someone whose job may expose them to COVID-19 (as with my ICU doctor relative mentioned above). However, some people may not have the luxury of having a second car in the household. Don't know the OP's situation, but if they only have one car between them, hopefully he is able to work from home and won't need to use the car.

Ideally, yes, don't share a car with someone whose job may expose them to COVID-19 (as with my ICU doctor relative mentioned above). However, some people may not have the luxury of having a second car in the household. Don't know the OP's situation, but if they only have one car between them, hopefully he is able to work from home and won't need to use the car.
We do have another car (Chevy Bolt) but there’s an issue with the brakes so right now we have to share one car.

Willing to share what is going on with the brakes on your Bolt ? We almost traded in our 2016 Chevy Volt for a Bolt, when they first came out. I liked the washer nozzle on the rear camera and I liked the image from the rear view mirror camera..
It’s been making this strange rapid clicking noise that’s coming from the footwell. Per my research, it seems to be caused by a faulty ibooster brake module. It’s been an ongoing issue since late last year. At first it was intermittent but now it’s happening more frequently. I took it in for service earlier this year but they claimed they didn’t find anything wrong. Brakes appear to still be working fine but I honestly don’t want to take the risk with my gf driving it.

Other than that it’s been a great car. I’m currently leasing it. Touchscreen is a decent size (10”) and it has has Carplay and a 360 aerial view camera which is super useful for parking. I really my Tesla had those features.

my wife is a pharmacist. And she deals with the covid floor. Entire family just don’t go into her car anymore.

If she's an ICU pharmacist, presumably, she'd be a secondary contact, as the patients would all be bedridden. Her exposure would be via another member of staff, and those are going to be full-gown, protected. Plus, the ICU pharmacy may not even be near the ICU. Find out how the pharmacy gets meds to the ICU. If she has a high risk of exposure, she'll be wearing disposable PPE, and she'll remove that , using the approved procedure. Then she'll disinfect her hands. She should be fine.