Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is it possible for Robots to mess up on some Xs but not all the Xs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ModelXBoy

No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!
Jan 3, 2016
Orange County, CA
Hi TMC

According to my factory tour, I have seen two lines, one line to work on Model S, one line which is line 2 is working on Model X. My question to you guys is how is it possible for the robots that were programmed the same way, doing the same tasks to build Model Xs in different quality standards. Some Model X were flawed, problematic with doors, seals, alignment etc. But some are all good to go. I believe there are human intervention in the assembly line that created the difference. But what else? Maybe all Xs have problems, just some owners did not have enough time to catch them or there are perfect Xs been built? But Why?

Also problems seem not only apply to earlier Vins, even the most recently Model X deliveries have problems. VIN is now in thousands. Vin does not seem to matter on quality.

Feel free to comment below.

Because manufacturing engineering is all about tolerances. 1+1 ≠ 2. 1+1 = 2±0.002 or something like that depending on what accuracy you need. Materials aren't 100% consistent either... heat treatments, welding etc. also further affect it in slightly different ways. 1+1+1+1+1 might then not be 5 but rather 5.005 or on a 5000mm car it's suddenly 5mm off.

See 0:52

People have different tolerances for acceptability of "defects". My family picked up their model X this past Monday, and while I noticed a couple of mis-aligned seals, leather seats that were slightly wrinkled, and a rattling subwoofer, no one else in my family noticed and when I pointed them out, didn't really seem to care either. Those magnificent FWDs are like a reality distortion field.