Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is km/h charging calculated? Please help by showing how YOUR car charges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
From other threads, I am doing testing with charging: Single vs dual charger installed, 1 vs 3 phase, Tesla vs non-Tesla charger (all AC)

While doing that, I was wondering how rated and typical range is calculated.

It is obvious that when selecting "Distance" in the units screen of settings, it is using average, not instant, as the km/h starts low and only stabilises after charging for quite a while, at least 15 minutes maybe even more. Selecting Energy rather than distance, shows instant power in kW, unfortunately with no decimal point. It can be calculated more precisely, though, as in point 1. below.

For a given charge, at a certain kW charger, do our cars indicated the same km/h charging (Distance/Typical), or is it dependant on the driving history of the car?

Please help me find out - it's very easy, just do this for me next time you are charging:

1. While charging, note the combined amps and voltage, to find the precise kW of charging, ie for a 3-phase charge, it could be (32A+32A+32A) x 218 V = 20,928 W or 20.928 kW. If the voltage is fluctuating, use the average value.

2. Select "Distance" and "Typical range" in the units screen under settings

3. Let the charging stabilise, like 30 minutes charging or more, but before it starts to taper (battery getting full, for AC charging, up to 80% full should still be full speed)

4. Divide the kW you calculated in 1. above, with the indicated (and stabilised) km/h charging, ie 20,928 W / 94 km/h, to get 222.6 Wh/km

Please do the above calculation when you are charging (not supercharging please as it tapers almost right away).

Report back here with

a) Charger location
b) Type (ie HKEVPower single phase 32A)
c) Single/dual charger installed
d) kW indicated in car (when selecting Energy)
e) Amp (1 or 3 phase, 3 phase has a small 3 in a circle)
f) Average voltage (if showing 217-219, just choose 218, no need to time it)
g) km/h indicated (before tapering begins).
h) Optionally, do the calculation above from point 4., or just provide the numbers then I can do it

Thank you for your help :)