Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is passing performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
today, I drove an awd model 3 for the first time. (yeah, what took me so long, lol).

bought my rwd model 3 in sept of last year (so, just a few months, now). I didn't think I could justify the higher price of the awd so I didn't even consider it. not even for a short bit (big mistake).

been driving this car and really liking its torque. at higher speeds, though, it seems a little unsteady (like there is too much power for the suspension). at lower speeds, the suspension is too firm, but at higher speeds, it becomes better tuned. however. at higher higher speeds (lol) its not as confident.

now compare the awd version. I tried my friend's 1 year old awd m3 and in less than 1 minute on the road, I could tell an immediate difference. HUGE difference, not subtle at all. almost depressing, since I now want his car and not mine, anymore (half serious).

at lower speeds and higher speeds, its a better performing car. felt more confident as the front did some work, too.

summary: find a way to get the extra money for the awd version and don't settle for rwd ;) sell your children into slavery, if you have to. work for tony soprano. do what you have to do - but don't settle for less than the awd version.

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt and DR61
IMO, the straight line acceleration in my 3P+ is fantastic up to around 80 mph, then it's just ordinary. My old 1991 300ZX-TT would power on to 120 or so. Those speeds are so rare that it's basically a party trick. The 0-60 range, hell, I use it all the time and there is no comparison to anything other than a Performance S (which is jarring at launch).

One thing, and I don't know if I'm just getting old or what, is that I don't feel as confident on twisty roads in my 3 compared to the old Z. Back in the 90s I drove my Z up in the mountains of north GA and had a blast. The section of US19 from US129 to Vogel State park, in particular. Very twisty and the road is significantly banked into the curves. Did the same last weekend in my 3P+. Now, I was in a pack of around five vehicles (two pickups!, a motorcycle, and some sort of BMW 3), so the spacing and lane discipline was a concern. Anyway, the BMW came up on me aggressively early on so I decided to test out my 3. The BMW would kill me in the curves. I can't put my finger on it but entering a curve in the 3 doesn't seem as solid as my old Z. It feels like the front is "light" and will break free on entry. It didn't matter in the end because I killed them on the short straight segments and exited the pack well ahead of the BMW. My wife was with me and said we averaged around 50 mph (obviously, slower in the hairpins but fast in the straights).

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Got it. So passing performance is not an issue, it will feel different but perform as well.

Thanks everyone

Now I have to wait to get closer to end of lease in Aug....time to move to Model 3 from BMW.

Just wish they had a HUD

I went from a breathed-upon 2 series coupe with 280hp and a great exhaust to a Model 3 LR AWD. The Tesla is faster because the acceleration is instantaneous and always the same. But not a day goes by when I'd rather be in the 2 series, or for that matter in the 335i touring I had before. The in-line 6 is a gem of an engine as you well know..

The Tesla is soulless in comparison and is full of 'almost always works but not quite there yet' tech. I never look back when I walk away anymore. This is the real meassure of a great car - do you feel connected to it emotionally? And with the Tesla I just don't.

Caveat emptor.

I went from a breathed-upon 2 series coupe with 280hp and a great exhaust to a Model 3 LR AWD. The Tesla is faster because the acceleration is instantaneous and always the same. But not a day goes by when I'd rather be in the 2 series, or for that matter in the 335i touring I had before. The in-line 6 is a gem of an engine as you well know..

The Tesla is soulless in comparison and is full of 'almost always works but not quite there yet' tech. I never look back when I walk away anymore. This is the real meassure of a great car - do you feel connected to it emotionally? And with the Tesla I just don't.

Caveat emptor.
I've also felt this way a little bit recently - not sure what to think about it. Then again, I felt similarly about my 3 series when I also owned a Miata. I'm not sure if it has to do with it being electric and just so good at what it does, vs. it simply not being a sports car. I have MPP sport coilovers I'll be installing soon... we'll see if that wakes things up a little.

But I will maintain that there is simply no better daily driver, period. Especially considering its performance.

Got it. So passing performance is not an issue, it will feel different but perform as well.

Thanks everyone

Now I have to wait to get closer to end of lease in Aug....time to move to Model 3 from BMW.

Just wish they had a HUD
I had an add-on HUD in my previous car- was going to add it to my model 3, but after a day of driving the 3, I thought “no way!”
The centre screen is intuitive, super easy to read, and not distracting. I would also go so far as to say the speed is easier to read, by far, than looking down through a steering wheel. The HUD would be a total waste- and as a 737 pilot used to using a HUD everyday “at work” I don’t feel any need whatsoever for one in the Model 3.
I so remember the angst and whinging about ”only a centre screen” before the Model 3 was in owner’s hands. What a load of rubbish that turned out to be- the centre screen is fabulous, and I love the uncluttered dashboard in front of me in the 3. I get in our other car, (ICE, sadly ) and it feels cluttered, slow, noisy, archaic, horrible. Can’t wait till we become a two EV family, (likely in the form of a Cybertruck as I need something with great heavy towing ability). So the really big problem is- The model 3 totally ruins any other ICE vehicles you may have to drive.

OT: By the way the acceleration and general performance of my stealthy performance 3 is just mind blowing. Although I’ve never pulled up beside a P100DL Tesla, (or even another Model 3 performance) there is nothing that I haven’t been able to effortlessly leave in my wake .... at any legal or near legal speed. You just think about passing, and it’s done.

I had an add-on HUD in my previous car- was going to add it to my model 3, but after a day of driving the 3, I thought “no way!”
The centre screen is intuitive, super easy to read, and not distracting. I would also go so far as to say the speed is easier to read, by far, than looking down through a steering wheel. The HUD would be a total waste- and as a 737 pilot used to using a HUD everyday “at work” I don’t feel any need whatsoever for one in the Model 3.
I so remember the angst and whinging about ”only a centre screen” before the Model 3 was in owner’s hands. What a load of rubbish that turned out to be- the centre screen is fabulous, and I love the uncluttered dashboard in front of me in the 3. I get in our other car, (ICE, sadly ) and it feels cluttered, slow, noisy, archaic, horrible. Can’t wait till we become a two EV family, (likely in the form of a Cybertruck as I need something with great heavy towing ability). So the really big problem is- The model 3 totally ruins any other ICE vehicles you may have to drive.

OT: By the way the acceleration and general performance of my stealthy performance 3 is just mind blowing. Although I’ve never pulled up beside a P100DL Tesla, (or even another Model 3 performance) there is nothing that I haven’t been able to effortlessly leave in my wake .... at any legal or near legal speed. You just think about passing, and it’s done.
I pulled up next to a Performance S. It wasn’t pretty. He annihilated me :D

• Funny
Reactions: Futuresystem

As an enthusiast I fully understand what you mean. The Tesla Model 3 is a very well rounded vehicle, which is what was designed to be. As a mass market EV, it needs to appeal to a wide audience in order to sell well.

However, enthusiasts look for a deeper connection with the vehicle, which means the vehicles has to have character and tickle all the senses.

- Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros have V8 rumble and they each sound a little different, the flat plane crank V8 sounds the best. :D
- Miatas and BRZs are down on power but still put a huge grin on your face because of how light they are and how well they handle.
- The Supra was reincarnated as a BMW Z4. Oops, well at least the older generations were great.;)
- The C8 Corvette is going mid-engine for the first time and achieving 0-60mph in 2.8 sec/11.2 sec 1/4 mi for $60k range.
- Some let you put the top down and row your own gears.
- Some enjoy starting a car and hearing it roar to life.
- Even though a transmission is slower, some still like to hear the winding of engine through a quick shifting DCT.
- Jeeps and pickups have character.
- Part of it is how a car looks. The Model 3 shape is "nice". Most aren't crazy about it or offended by it, mass market appeal. In order for you to want to wash it every few days it has to look beautiful though.

and the list could go on and on as we think of the charm certain vehicles have and the emotion they evoke.

I enjoy my M3P+. It is super quick, easy to drive in traffic, handles well for the street, blah, blah, but it does just feel like an appliance most of the time. I think we will actually see more "character" in future EVs from other auto manufactures. It will be one of the ways that they compete with Tesla. The new EV Hummer will be interesting as they appear to being going all out with a 1000hp version. :D Ford is going the route of a 4 door SUV Mustang EV to help drive sales. I hope Chevy will release a 2 door coupe Camaro EV and hopefully a convertible version.

This thread is wild and makes me think they’re are several distinct groups of M3P owners.

I was never interested in Corvettes or Chargers. I grew up loving the understated German sports sedans of the 90s and dreaming about flying in space ships. When I drove the M3P, I knew there wasn’t a car I’d rather own that had four doors. The quietness and understated appearance are benefits from my perspective, just like the amazing acceleration and relatively neutral handling where I don’t have to worry about traction. That being said, my third car will one day be a Targa 4 GTS.

This thread is wild and makes me think they’re are several distinct groups of M3P owners.

Yep, mainly because there aren't any other EV options for enthusiasts yet in this $40-$60k price range. Tesla has attracted some muscle car fans, import fans, german performance sedan fans, etc. It is a really great thing but if instant torque and silent acceleration start to get old then enthusiasts may need a 2nd car or switch back to a ride with a more visceral experience.

Reactions: Dolemite
Yep, mainly because there aren't any other EV options for enthusiasts yet in this $40-$60k price range. Tesla has attracted some muscle car fans, import fans, german performance sedan fans, etc. It is a really great thing but if instant torque and silent acceleration start to get old then enthusiasts may need a 2nd car or switch back to a ride with a more visceral experience.

The next 5 years for performance car enthusiasts is going to be bananas. What you’ll be able to get for $50-75k as EV competition heats up is going to solve this problem IMHO. I can’t wait, it’s an amazing time to be a car guy/gal.

Reactions: raptor5244
The first time I passed a car in my M3 Stealth I felt like the car tried to rip itself in half it was so fast..Hit the throttle at ~50mph, was doing nearly 90 in what felt like about 2s. ...It's fast.
Set your regen to standard, get up to about 40 and let the car regen down to about 20 and then rip it. If you’re nearly full charge it’s downright violent but still not quite S/X DL violent.

Reactions: RacerChris
Great responses thank you. Handling on the twisty roads is my old other concern

while the 340i is not perfect it feels nicer on those twisties.

just saw there might ?? Be an air(adaptive) suspension for the model 3. I hope this happens fast lol