Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Is There No Disclaimer or Terms and Conditions on FSD, a Product That Costs Thousands of Dollars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m paying thousands of dollars for something that’s not even here yet (assuming EAP is already on the car). The goal posts have been moved and there’s no specific details on features or timelines. And this is what we get:

Full Self-Driving Capability

• Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.

$7,000 upgrade if added after delivery

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

Where’s the fine print?....

I’m paying thousands of dollars for something that’s not even here yet (assuming EAP is already on the car). The goal posts have been moved and there’s no specific details on features or timelines. And this is what we get:

• Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
Coming later this year:

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

Or you can just not pay for it? o_O

Nobody is being forced to purchase FSD. You're requesting features and timelines which I'm a little confused about considering you just mentioned them. Unless you are asking for specific dates. If that's the case, you definitely didn't do your homework prior to purchasing your Tesla.

Coming later this year:

The disclaimer is right there: "The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."

For the most part, Tesla makes predictions and not promised.
They post what are their intentions and projections, but this stuff is all new and sometimes they are not able to pull off what they hoped.
People then complain...but you promised.
Tesla is blazing new ground here. Best to go in with high hopes, but with tempered expectations.

Purchasing a Tesla vehicle is not the same as getting any other car.
You are taking a leap of faith and investing on what the future of cars is going to be.
You are not just purchasing a car, you are investing in all the research and development that Tesla is putting on these cars, not that other manufacturers don't do any R&D, but in my opinion they have become complacent with the status quo of the automobile industry.
You also are becoming a guinea pig (while rolling down the highway in 4000 lbs of metal and plastic at 65+ mph).

I am aware of all of this, that is why I am not too upset with the extra expense.

You don't invest in a car, so to all that are complaining that are upside down on a car loan, guess what, when someone buys any car as soon as they sign that loan they already lost 30% of the value of that item just purchased. A car is NEVER an investment.

</end_rant>

The disclaimer is right there: "The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."

That’s not a full disclaimer like what I’m talking about, the equivalent for apple is what, 40 pages?

can you link to an example of 40 pages of disclaimer on an apple product so anybody other than you can figure out WTF you're asking for?
I guess the terms and conditions is what I’m primarily talking about. I don’t have a lot of knowledge of the legal terms. I know iTunes isn’t the same as a product like FSD, but this is the kind of stuff I’m talking about.

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

I guess the terms and conditions is what I’m primarily talking about. I don’t have a lot of knowledge of the legal terms. I know iTunes isn’t the same as a product like FSD, but this is the kind of stuff I’m talking about.

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

yeah...like 95% of that doesn't really apply to FSD in any way shape or form though.

You buy FSD for a specific car for example, so the stuff about DRM, sharing on devices, defining what books, music, and apps are, using content on non-apple devices, sharing content.... really nearly all of it, isn't relevant at all to FSD.

Most of what's left is stuff you already agree to/see in general use of the car (sharing data with tesla for example, something you don't need FSD to have to decide yes or no to)

One thing that Tesla will unfortunately learn as they progress is that a large and powerful legal team is a necessity. The masses, in the US at least, are unforgiving and litigious.
As a stockholder, I do worry that Tesla is not covering themselves enough. Every time there is a casualty, media and government agencies are quick to hop aboard the "was AP involved?" train. It seems VERY hard to innovate and trail blaze in America without serious liability! I think we are seeing that in Tesla moving the goal posts. I actually applaud Tesla for toning down the FSD language because I don't think they've changed their goal or mission...just their liability! Now, if I were a potential FSD buyer (not a shareholder), I may want more than they are offering right now...blame the litigious country for that!

Reactions: woodisgood
As a stockholder, I do worry that Tesla is not covering themselves enough. Every time there is a casualty, media and government agencies are quick to hop aboard the "was AP involved?" train. It seems VERY hard to innovate and trail blaze in America without serious liability! I think we are seeing that in Tesla moving the goal posts. I actually applaud Tesla for toning down the FSD language because I don't think they've changed their goal or mission...just their liability! Now, if I were a potential FSD buyer (not a shareholder), I may want more than they are offering right now...blame the litigious country for that!

I gotta say though, on the AP front they've definitely covered themselves nicely with all the data the car collects. Not to mention maybe even that interior camera one day.
But at some point you know the media or whomever will be wishing and fishing for that "Tesla covers up AP flaws with falsified data logs..." story.