Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How likely is it that FSD-beta 11.x visualization will make it into standard AP and EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried FSD-beta 11.3.6 today (via subscription) and while the self-driving capability is very impressive, what really struck me is how much better the new visualization is compared to the stock visualization. For example I can now always see cars parked on the sides of the road, always see cars in opposite lanes, and see a zoomed out view showing traffic approaching all directions at intersections, etc. In comparison, the stock visualization is simplistic and limited.

I don't plan to have my car drive me around Boston very often so I have hard time paying in full for FSD (highway driving is another story), but I'd love to have that awesome new visualization with my stock build.

How likely is it that the new FSD visualization will eventually become part of stock software, with the only difference between software tiers being self-driving capabilities? Is this a good possibility, or is it likely that the enhanced visualization will be reserved only for owners who buy the FSD upgrade?

Reactions: spiazza12
How likely is it that the new FSD visualization will eventually become part of stock software, with the only difference between software tiers being self-driving capabilities? Is this a good possibility, or is it likely that the enhanced visualization will be reserved only for owners who buy the FSD upgrade?
The only thing that comes to mind for me on this is that the visualization is not listed as one of the autonomy features. The only mention of visualization in the Tesla page on autonomy is that traffic lights are shown for FSD. Keying off that, I could well imagine that Tesla will go with one visualization (to simplify development) and fiddle with how much information the visualization shows. Perhaps Autopilot will show only safety information such as road edges, road markers, other cars, and certain traffic signs. The higher tier systems would then show whatever other information is appropriate to those features.

The only thing that comes to mind for me on this is that the visualization is not listed as one of the autonomy features. The only mention of visualization in the Tesla page on autonomy is that traffic lights are shown for FSD. Keying off that, I could well imagine that Tesla will go with one visualization (to simplify development) and fiddle with how much information the visualization shows. Perhaps Autopilot will show only safety information such as road edges, road markers, other cars, and certain traffic signs. The higher tier systems would then show whatever other information is appropriate to those features.
I can't picture that happening. Rephrased, that would be see everything, identify the hazards and visualize those. Don't show the things that aren't a hazard. That sounds like a liability door opening? Much more likely, IMHO, that the visualization will show everything that it sees and might be a good option for $$$ on top of AP, then FSD could be yet another option that will take corrective measure if needed because of those hazards that are identified in the visualization.

Why keep the current visualization which is incomplete when they could use a more complete visualization where software already exists (in FSD beta which one day will not be beta)?

I find it a bit un-nerving when the current outdated legacy visualization shows incorrect information (like showing a truck outside its lane or it missing the car behind me, or not showing parked cars and oncoming traffic). Seems to me like it would make sense to use the best visualization possible and make customers pay for autopilot features only rater than pay for different levels of visualization but who knows.

The FSD beta visualization is not only more complete but seems to be more accurate, less cars are missing or jitter around randomly etc...

Reactions: Stach
I don't plan to have my car drive me around Boston very often so I have hard time paying in full for FSD (highway driving is another story), but I'd love to have that awesome new visualization with my stock build.
It's interesting to hear this statement and you are not the first to say it.

For me, driving around town is one of those places in which it really becomes helpful. Driving down the Interstate isn't that big of deal with just cruise control.

I'm not a new user though. I've used NoA since it was released and FSD since it was made more broadly available. I've learned it's idiosyncrasies along the way and feel quite comfortable with it and generally have an idea in what situations it will have issues.
Just this evening I was driving about 30 miles between a customer and the hotel. Well, I drove about a half mile, the car did the rest.