Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having issue with Tesla hasn't submit PTO application to Eversource for months. My system is

- 8KW solar panel + 2 Powerwalls.
- ordered on 2020-9
- initial installation was done on 2021-1
- electricians finished final work on 2021-3
- city inspection was done on 2021-4
- been waiting for PTO submitting to Eversource

As of today, August 12, 2021, Tesla has yet to file the PTO application. Does it sound normal to you? I contact the Tesla many times, but all I got is "wait", with no real update.

"paying the loan for a few months" and system installed in april of this year, and this is now august.... wow. Thats really bad, even for tesla. As for whether that sounds normal, I would say that "normal" appears to be somewhere between 4 weeks and 12 weeks (so 1-3 months) just from reading on here, with many people having to prod tesla along (and being frustrated about it).

There has got to be a better answer from them than "wait" however, especially since they should have gotten paid pretty much right after install. I wish I knew a way to escalate further, but I am unaware of one, myself.

Sometimes people contact the utility to get status, and then find out that the utility is waiting on x or Y that tesla hasnt provided.

"paying the loan for a few months" and system installed in april of this year, and this is now august.... wow. Thats really bad, even for tesla. As for whether that sounds normal, I would say that "normal" appears to be somewhere between 4 weeks and 12 weeks (so 1-3 months) just from reading on here, with many people having to prod tesla along (and being frustrated about it).

There has got to be a better answer from them than "wait" however, especially since they should have gotten paid pretty much right after install. I wish I knew a way to escalate further, but I am unaware of one, myself.

Sometimes people contact the utility to get status, and then find out that the utility is waiting on x or Y that tesla hasnt provided.
I have had at least 4 advisors since the start of the project. And from the last conversation I have with the advisor, Tesla haven't even filed the PTO application. Unbelievable.

I think I will call/write my office of AG in Mass, and see if there's anything they can do.

Reactions: solarAddict
I'm having issue with Tesla hasn't submit PTO application to Eversource for months. My system is

- ordered on 2020-9

As of today, August 12, 2021, Tesla has yet to file the PTO application. Does it sound normal to you? I contact the Tesla many times, but all I got is "wait", with no real update.
Here was my Eversource saga.
Here is my Eversource MA 2020 timeline.

6/13 Made $100 deposit online to get the project started. Used my own referal link.
6/19 Received notification of layout completed. Documents appeared online with paperwork for Tesla and Eversource
6/21 Noticed new 340W panels and better pricing.
6/23 Site survey completed. Also asked for change to new panels and pricing.
7/10 Received notification that they received the Town's electrical/structural permit.
7/16 Updated plan to include 340W panels instead of 330W panels and new lower pricing.
7/16 Signed updated paperwork including Eversource docs. Kicked off the path to install.
7/21 Received email from Eversource saying application received for SMART program
8/19 Received email from Eversource saying application approved for SMART program.

... Insane long wait for Eversource to approve application for installation. Was told that it could be 2-9 weeks from Eversource being paid their application fee and signed paperwork...

10/1 Email received to sign Interconnection service agreement with Eversource. Permission received to schedule installation. Was given a link on Tesla account online to do an online schedule. Picked earliest available install which was 10/20.
10/13 Received phone call from Tesla saying they had an opening, would I "mind" if they came on 10/14-10/15. I said YESSSSS
10/14 8am-5pm: Two crews arrive to do the install, one to do panel prep and wiring and the other to do the powerwall and gateway install. The inverter, powerwalls, and an electrical panel to hold the inverter and powerwall breakers were installed in the basement. They spent a few hours in the attic running the wires for the panels to an exterior conduit which runs from the wall in the attic to the basement. The electrical work was completed the first day except for wiring the panels to the inverter. No panels were placed on the first day. Eversource installs an additional meter for solar production and requires a main cutoff switch on the exterior. The socket for the new meter was also installed but bridged until Eversource comes to install it and to replace the regular meter with a net metering version. Powerwalls arrived about 25% charged and a test was done to power the house from the powerwalls.
10/15 8am-4pm: One larger crew arrived to finish solar panel install and to connect the inverter. Spent about 1 hour in the attic with the wiring to connect panels and about 1 hour in the basement to hook up inverter. The rest of the time was installing panels. I have a total of 36 panels, two strings on the main roof (15 and 12 cell strings) and another triangular shape of 8 panels in the third string. They tested the panels and they were generating. They were told by the lead guy from powerwall crew to check in with him when they were done to double check the CT configuration in the gateway. They couldn't reach him and left. What this meant is that there was indeed a problem with the CT configuration and the powerwalls wouldn't charge from the solar panels. They said they would fix this when they came back for the town inspection.
10/16 Got a call from the inspection scheduler who was aware of the minor issue and scheduled the inspection for 10/21 in the morning.
10/21 Tesla and the inspector arrive at the same time and the inspector went over the electrical. Passed with no issues. The Tesla tech stayed around to fix the CT and the system is fully operational.
As of 10/29, Tesla has not informed Eversource of the passed inspection by the town. When I exchanged email with my advisor he says that the group that files paperwork with the utilities is "backed up". So at this point the delay in getting PTO is squarely on Tesla. The documents that I previously signed for Eversource claim that they will install the new meters within 10 days of getting the paperwork including the passed inspection.
11/09 update, still waiting for PTO. It turns out that the town had not fully signed off on closing the permit, they needed tesla to send a structural plan signed by a PE. This happened 11/6 and so the town informed Tesla they are all set. Now still waiting for Tesla to tell Eversource and for Eversource to come by to install the solar production meter and replace the ordinary meter with a net-metering version. Waiting for PTO is painful.
11/16 update. Got a text from Tesla informing me that they've finally submitted my install to Eversource. Now just waiting for Eversource to install new meters and give PTO. 2 months since install was finished.
11/19 update Eversource came by to install the net-metering and solar production meters. Power was off for 9 seconds, powerwalls kicked in to avoid issues in house. Now just need official word for PTO.
12/24/20 PTO.

My pto took over a month after the meter install and I believe that it was nudged forward by contacting the eversource contact on this page, under the electric distribution company contact, mentioning that I had been waiting a month since the net metering meters were installed and he replied that he would look into it and I got PTO a couple of days later. You might try contacting him, after your net-meter is installed. In my email I mentioned that I found his contact info on that page.

Eversource is contractually obligated (fwiw) to install your net meter within 10 days of being notified by tesla submission of permits closed. Meter installation delay was only a few days for me. PTO took forever (5 weeks) after that. YMMV

- ordered on 2020-9

Here in MD my installation/inspection was completed in mid-June. Nothing was happening. I called Tesla on Monday this week (8 weeks later) to complain and they said there was nothing they could do. Well, could be a coincidence, but on Tuesday got an email from utility saying that they got the PTO application. Today they switched the meters and am optimistic from utility's email that should be able to turn system on early next week.

The amount of time Tesla takes to submit their paperwork is unacceptable IMO.

I hope you do better than I did, my system is still not working. I'm on hold right now trying to figure out why it's not generating any power.

6/17/2020 - Order placed
7/16/2020 - Install complete
8/4/2020 - Inspection passed
8/14/2021 - PTO

Throughout that time I have been in contact with National Grid trying to coordinate everything myself. I have had at least 3 project advisors where only one was helpful and he only was there for a short amount of time. Something is wrong with my inverter right now and I really hope they can fix it quickly but based on what I've read I'm hoping to have it working sometime this winter.

I have had at least 4 advisors since the start of the project. And from the last conversation I have with the advisor, Tesla haven't even filed the PTO application. Unbelievable.

I think I will call/write my office of AG in Mass, and see if there's anything they can do.
I just filed a complaint with the MA AG last Friday. We passed electrical inspection end of May, and I paid in full cash on June 1st. Tesla freely admits it has not filed the one page paperwork to get the PTO. They can't tell me when this will happen. This is really no way to treat a paying customer. I hope they don't lose their license to operate in Massachusetts, but I was really left with no choice. Especially since my advisor won't respond to my emails any longer.

• Love
Reactions: Ramphex
I just filed a complaint with the MA AG last Friday. We passed electrical inspection end of May, and I paid in full cash on June 1st. Tesla freely admits it has not filed the one page paperwork to get the PTO. They can't tell me when this will happen. This is really no way to treat a paying customer. I hope they don't lose their license to operate in Massachusetts, but I was really left with no choice. Especially since my advisor won't respond to my emails any longer.
Interaction with Tesla can be mind boggling. I had installation of 3 PWs last year and there were plenty of times when I could not get any response. Filing of paperwork with EverSource took 4 tries to get right. Fortunately Eversource CCed replies to my email address so I knew that I had to follow up. On the positive side electricians installing my system were very good so overall I am OK with my experience.

Also Tesla never filed for CO so the project stayed in not finished state in my town’s building department. Eventually I got CO myself, after following up with Tesla numerous times for about 6 months.

I hope you do better than I did, my system is still not working. I'm on hold right now trying to figure out why it's not generating any power.

6/17/2020 - Order placed
7/16/2020 - Install complete
8/4/2020 - Inspection passed
8/14/2021 - PTO

Throughout that time I have been in contact with National Grid trying to coordinate everything myself. I have had at least 3 project advisors where only one was helpful and he only was there for a short amount of time. Something is wrong with my inverter right now and I really hope they can fix it quickly but based on what I've read I'm hoping to have it working sometime this winter.
Wow! it took 1 year to receive PTO, and the system is not working? They can't stay in business like this.

Here in MD my installation/inspection was completed in mid-June. Nothing was happening. I called Tesla on Monday this week (8 weeks later) to complain and they said there was nothing they could do. Well, could be a coincidence, but on Tuesday got an email from utility saying that they got the PTO application. Today they switched the meters and am optimistic from utility's email that should be able to turn system on early next week.

The amount of time Tesla takes to submit their paperwork is unacceptable IMO.
I called Tesla last Friday to inquire and complain again. They told me the same thing, nothing that could do. I hope I got an email from my utility like you soon.

Same experience here, my advisor didn't respond to my email any more, I have to call the main # and talk to a random advisor. They can't even give me a ballpark date of when PTO would be filed.

I think I will do the same, file a complain with the AG office. I have never done it before, is there a hotline/email at AG of MA I should use?

Same experience here, my advisor didn't respond to my email any more, I have to call the main # and talk to a random advisor. They can't even give me a ballpark date of when PTO would be filed.

I think I will do the same, file a complain with the AG office. I have never done it before, is there a hotline/email at AG of MA I should use?
they make it easy you can call or use the online form. I did the online form, took me about 10 minutes. I think if enough people file a compliant the AG will look into it. She has a really good track record. So did her predecessor. File a consumer complaint

it took from May 4th until July 20th for Tesla to refile the PTO paperwork because they provided the wrong information to National Grid. Like you I called Tesla weekly, I didn't have anyone to email since my advisor went on time off and my project was reassigned and the new person never reached out (plus the new advisor's voicemail was full). It basically is just a lottery system as to if you get a knowledgeable advisor who knows the right steps to move your project along, most of them will say things like @niner93 said, no clue when it will be filed, but some know to either connect you to the utility department, or will reach out for you.
The best random advisor I got was Dalton Clarke, since after getting him I went from in limbo to paperwork submitted correctly in under 4 hours (took a second call to him on the same day since the utility department made a second mistake on filing). If you want his contact info DM me.

I called Tesla last Friday to inquire and complain again. They told me the same thing, nothing that could do. I hope I got an email from my utility like you soon.
Happy to say that a week after I called them to complain about how long things were taking for me everything has been taken care of. My utility company gave me the PTO today. Tesla didn't know this when I called them right after getting the email. Still, I was not on hold very long and they helped me with the final steps of switching the system on and making sure the app was working. Could have done this myself but wanted to make sure it was OK to turn things on since Tesla told me to wait to hear from them. I forwarded the email I received from utility company to them while going through the last steps with Tesla.

Not sure, but I think they might have more people working on these things. A few weeks ago when I started to complain about how long it was taking for PTO after I submitted payment I would be on hold for 30+ minutes. Call last week to complain again and then hear from my utility company next day had short hold time as well as today's call.

This all sounds familiar. Home assessment in MA April 2021. 4 weeks later got all the interconnect docs and signed. Radio silent for 2.5 months. Called to complain multiple times to no effect, got estimates of 30-90 days to request interconnect.

In late July got connected with a rep who said my interconnect application should be processed within 3 BD. I let her know in no uncertain terms what I thought of the process. Interconnect was processed an hour after I hung up the phone. Installation completed two weeks later.

Passed inspection last Tuesday and immediately called my project manager to let her know I expected Tesla to put aside the 30 minutes needed to request PTO ASAP. Got email from Tesla today saying they submitted PTO, but nothing from Eversource yet.

Here is my timeline, it will make you feel better. I've gone through multiple project advisors, been on them often to understand what the delay is, there is never an answer. Many times I couldn't even get someone on the phone or an email response. The VAST majority of the delay is related to Tesla being slow to move to the next step or make corrections.

I'm very annoyed with the process for a few reasons. I was told February I should expect install and to move quickly with the 0% HEAT loan for the power walls. I decided to put on a new roof as well since mine was 20 years old. It was in good shape still but I couldn't' see putting panels on top of it and pulling them off and reinstalling in 5 or so years when it did need replacement. I had it done in the middle of winter, which isn't ideal for shingle adhesion. I also cancelled my community shared solar program since I wouldn't need it anymore. So now I have a loan payment for the powerwalls, but they aren't installed or participating in Connected Solutions generating income. Also instead of my community shared solar program significantly reducing my utility bills in the summer they are higher than ever.

I'm located in MA as well, NG is my utility.

System: 13.26 kW DC, 2 Powerwall+, 2 Powerwall 2's

10/20 order placed
11/20 home assessment
1/21 local permits ready
3/21 SMART application submitted
5/21 SMART application corrections made
6/21 SMART approved
7/21 National Grid Interconnection/distributed generation application submitted
8/21 National Grid application corrections made

Currently waiting for national grid to complete their "screening step". Once the utility part is approved I can finally move towards scheduling installation. Let's hope NG doesn't want me to pay for a transformer upgrade or some nonsesnse like that.

they make it easy you can call or use the online form. I did the online form, took me about 10 minutes. I think if enough people file a compliant the AG will look into it. She has a really good track record. So did her predecessor. File a consumer complaint
So, I just got contacted by the Mass Attorney Generals office. They reviewed my compliant, and are going to go after Tesla to resolve this issue. I heard from them less than two weeks after submitting my compliant. I highly encourage anyone in this thread to do the same. The system works. Will keep everyone updated on how it goes!

So, I just got contacted by the Mass Attorney Generals office. They reviewed my compliant, and are going to go after Tesla to resolve this issue. I heard from them less than two weeks after submitting my compliant. I highly encourage anyone in this thread to do the same. The system works. Will keep everyone updated on how it goes!
I have filed the complaint a couple days ago. Let me see if it makes a difference.

Reactions: Ramphex and TORQU3