Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My documents from Tesla were finally uploaded on 11/28. On 12/5 the utility set the project to "on hold" due to incorrect meter number of all things. I then sent Tesla, via text, the meter number and the next day they asked for a photo of my meter. My project is back in status of "final documents submitted". Potentially, this can take 7 more weeks to complete. At this point, doesn't really matter since it's winter and the days are to short to export any excess to the grid.
PTO issued today, 12/12:
Solar Install was on May 10th, 2022

Tesla seems to be very poor in documentation. I PTO was submitted on 11/30. First they loaded incorrect building permit. Then they submitted incorrect number of arrays installed. PGE sent them an email to send the correct information on 12/15 but Tesla has not submitted the correct information yet to PGE. I'm really frustrated with Tesla. Seems they don't do any check on the documents they submit.

Tesla sent an email saying if you order by 3/15/2023, they will guarantee you being grandfathered for NEM 2.

This is not accurate and the above comment is bad advice.

The guarantee is you can get a full refund if they don't file the paperwork and do all the stuff needed for NEM2.0 correctly. Look at the exact wording. Also, with the 1:1 metering changing to 1: 14-25% export, a solar only install would now cost $10/W if you can't get under NEM2.0 for a typical Tesla $2.50/W install.

There is ABSOLUTELY no way anyone can guarantee you can be grandfathered for NEM 2.0 just from a simple order. There are a lot of things that has to be done (exact plans from an installer, correctly filed and approved paperwork, your installer can't go under, Tesla can't leave your service area, etc etc etc).

Did you pay everything with cc? Do they allow? I thought the maximum was around $2.500 by cc.
Tesla Solar won't let you pay for a cash system with credit cards, but Tesla Finance in Draper, UT will (or did as of Dec '22). Once I had my final invoice, I called them directly and they took they CC payment.

There are a few threads on this forum about that, but they're confusing to me because people sometimes post "I called them and they said no CCs". If "them" = "Tesla Solar", being told no is to be expected. If "them" = "Tesla Finance", being told no would be the first time I'm hearing about it. Also quite a few Reddit threads on the subject.

March 2022 - placed order for 3 Powerwall 2's with Swell Energy. Did not use Tesla - we already have rooftop solar.
January 18, 19, 2023 - Installation completed - done by local contractor: Indaspec Energy in San Jose, CA.
January 25, 2023 - Fire Department inspection
January 30, 2023 - Town inspection
January 31, 2023 - PTO approval from PGE

Swell Energy was very helpful throughout the long wait for the Powerwalls. They filed all of the PGE & SGIP paperwork.
Indaspec Energy was fabulous - very professional installation, on time, responsive, and a pleasure to work with.
System is working flawlessly.

• Love
Reactions: Vines
In Maryland, utility is Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE). Project ordered and contracted with Tesla Certified Installer American Home Contractors, as part of a larger contract including new siding, doors, widows, etc...
Contract completed and signed Oct 2021
Siding, windows & doors installation completed in spring of 2022
17 kw Solar Roof installation completed in July 2022
DC wiring to inverter location run August 2022
2 Inverters and Gateway, 3x Powerwall 2 installed January 28 2023
Power storage connection request form for BGE signed February 1 2023

Interested to see when BGE inspection, final connection, and PTO occur. Any viewers in this area with recent experience please weigh in....
American Home Contractors seems to do better than Tesla does with a number of aspects of a project like this, judging from reading thru this lengthy thread. The Tesla Certified Installer approach has been utilized for a relatively short time, and American Home Contractors has been going thru some growing pains - especially after passage of the IRA last year increased their incoming workload. The delay period toward the end of 2022 was helpful to me from a $$ perspective, I'm paying cash as the invoices arrive so pushing the last several into 2023 had some positives. Overall I am thinking such a project with a Tesla Certified Installer like American Home Contractors is an improvement on Tesla's in house installation efforts, especially after exposure to the stories of others. The non solar part of the project went quite well, and integrating that with the Solar Roof project simplified all of it being under contract with one company. AHC maintains a high level of quality and professionalism across the a large project like ours.

Any recent BGE PTO experiences would be welcome information....

Last edited:
Wow, fastest PTO ever!

This is for my self-installed system, an expansion on top of my previous system that almost doubles our PV generation.

Total Effective Inverter Nameplate Rating: 37.356 kW

PV Panels: 21x Hanwha Q CELLS - Q.PEAK BLK-G4.1 295
PV Panels: 24x LG Electronics Inc. - LG310N1C-G4
Inverter - External: 1x SolarEdge Technologies Ltd. - SE7600H-US [240V][SI1-JUN20]
Inverter - External: 2x SMA America - SB3800TL-US-22 (240V)
Inverter - Incorporated: 5x Tesla Inc. - AC Powerwall 2 2012170-XX-Y [240V] [SI1-JUN20] + Gateway 1232100-XX-X [CRD PCS]

PTO submitted 2/1/23, PTO Approved 2/2/23!

Wow, fastest PTO ever!

This is for my self-installed system, an expansion on top of my previous system that almost doubles our PV generation.

Total Effective Inverter Nameplate Rating: 37.356 kW

PV Panels: 21x Hanwha Q CELLS - Q.PEAK BLK-G4.1 295
PV Panels: 24x LG Electronics Inc. - LG310N1C-G4
Inverter - External: 1x SolarEdge Technologies Ltd. - SE7600H-US [240V][SI1-JUN20]
Inverter - External: 2x SMA America - SB3800TL-US-22 (240V)
Inverter - Incorporated: 5x Tesla Inc. - AC Powerwall 2 2012170-XX-Y [240V] [SI1-JUN20] + Gateway 1232100-XX-X [CRD PCS]

PTO submitted 2/1/23, PTO Approved 2/2/23!
You have 37KW of panels? Wow, in only 45 panels? I have 90 panels and only have 30kw. Yours must be big panels.