Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long does DashCam keep recording after parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Ok so I guess I’m not crazy after all. Well maybe a little.
Regardless I’m. Or sure if it’s tied to Sentry mode causing this or what worries me more is it’s tied to COP. I have that on always while out at work. Maybe it’s keeping the car from actually sleeping. Although still doesn’t explain why it would continually write to the Recent clips(DashCam) video. more likely I’m willing to bet it’s sentry mode doing it. I need to Test a few scenarios.

I am almost certain this was NOT the behavior in the past at some point. I witnessed an accident on the way to work in front of me a few months back and went back out to get the footage in the afternoon, and it was all there from the drive early that morning. if I did that now I would have 5 hours of my parking lot.

Another data point(I’m testing scenarios) is I turned off sentry mode today and now I have an hour of files but this the difference is they are all 1K in size except about every 8-10 minutes it actually writes the 3 videos I can watch. FWD/LFT/RGT
It looks to me like it wakes up during the COP, cools the car below 105, writes those few videos to DashCam recents folder, and then goes back quiet again and uses the 1K filler spaces and again after 10 minutes or so wakes up and starts over.
long story short 1 hour worth of files but only about 5 or 6 sets of videos that can be watched on USB. Spaced out.
Hope I’m making sense here. next test will be sentry off and COP off.

Do you have walk-away locking enabled? I'm just trying to find a setting that's different between the cars that stop recording and those that don't. It might be worth comparing the various Security settings to find if one of them causes this. Mine stops recording when parked, and it's always locked when parked.

Do you have walk-away locking enabled? I'm just trying to find a setting that's different between the cars that stop recording and those that don't. It might be worth comparing the various Security settings to find if one of them causes this. Mine stops recording when parked, and it's always locked when parked.
I wish I knew
I’ve gone through them all to make certain the updates haven’t changed something. COP on although I’ve turned it off later for testing and it still recorded an hour after being parked and sentry and COP off when I got home. doors auto lock after exit. I do NOT have always connected on. I don’t use teslafi or any other service. It seems to be sleeping when I walk up on it. It’s dark anyway. The stats app doesn’t actually show it’s sleeping tho on the widget.
very frustrating I thought for sure when I turned off both sentry and COP it would stop record after parked. But I tried that tonight after drive home. I got a full hour of video of my garage door.
I’ll keep trying different things. Something is different in the software logic than it used to be in how it handles these recordings.

I wish I knew
I’ve gone through them all to make certain the updates haven’t changed something. COP on although I’ve turned it off later for testing and it still recorded an hour after being parked and sentry and COP off when I got home. doors auto lock after exit. I do NOT have always connected on. I don’t use teslafi or any other service. It seems to be sleeping when I walk up on it. It’s dark anyway. The stats app doesn’t actually show it’s sleeping tho on the widget.
very frustrating I thought for sure when I turned off both sentry and COP it would stop record after parked. But I tried that tonight after drive home. I got a full hour of video of my garage door.
I’ll keep trying different things. Something is different in the software logic than it used to be in how it handles these recordings.

When the car is parked, are the video clips consecutive like this? The first one starts at minute 45 followed by minute 46.

2019-10-02_12-45-37-front.mp4
2019-10-02_12-46-37-front.mp4

Or are there time gaps between them?

In an earlier post you said you were using stats. It looks like that app polls the car periodically.

When the car is parked, are the video clips consecutive like this? The first one starts at minute 45 followed by minute 46.

2019-10-02_12-45-37-front.mp4
2019-10-02_12-46-37-front.mp4

Or are there time gaps between them?

In an earlier post you said you were using stats. It looks like that app polls the car periodically.
They are in perfect sequence as in your example. No minutes skipped for 60 minutes. I don’t believe anything is wrong with my system. It’s just some combination of the new V10 logic(or bug, hard to say) and maybe being in a very hot climate so the car doesn’t quickly go to sleep after a drive. That’s why I have been turning off COP and sentry to see if it would change the behavior.
it didn’t yesterday after my drive home. Still recorded an for a couple hours after my drive home as it sat in the driveway. It’s possible the car was still awake cooling the battery’s and circulating coolant so it didn’t power fully down and hence it kept recording.
I know nothing is actually wrong because as I woke early this AM I checked the Stats App widget and it shows the car sleeping as I would expect.
I truly think this is just the way V10 is recording DashCam now after a drive. It’s not a huge deal it’s just that if you see an incident or something you want footage of I better tap the icon and capture it right away or pull the stick soon after the drive or it will be gone. it real should stop recording when parked and transition into Sentry mode buffering until an event triggers it to write to USB (in a saved folder)

They are in perfect sequence as in your example. No minutes skipped for 60 minutes. I don’t believe anything is wrong with my system. It’s just some combination of the new V10 logic(or bug, hard to say) and maybe being in a very hot climate so the car doesn’t quickly go to sleep after a drive. That’s why I have been turning off COP and sentry to see if it would change the behavior.
it didn’t yesterday after my drive home. Still recorded an for a couple hours after my drive home as it sat in the driveway. It’s possible the car was still awake cooling the battery’s and circulating coolant so it didn’t power fully down and hence it kept recording.
I know nothing is actually wrong because as I woke early this AM I checked the Stats App widget and it shows the car sleeping as I would expect.
I truly think this is just the way V10 is recording DashCam now after a drive. It’s not a huge deal it’s just that if you see an incident or something you want footage of I better tap the icon and capture it right away or pull the stick soon after the drive or it will be gone. it real should stop recording when parked and transition into Sentry mode buffering until an event triggers it to write to USB (in a saved folder)

It's hot here in Florida right now, and I'm on version 10. After my drive home from the office last night, dashcam recorded me going into my house and then shortly after stopped recording. I brought the ssd in from the car this morning, and there were no recordings until I got in the car to retrieve it.

It might be the stats app that is periodically waking your car.

Try turning off standby mode for smart summon. It's under autopilot settings.

Reactions: quickstrike12
It's hot here in Florida right now, and I'm on version 10. After my drive home from the office last night, dashcam recorded me going into my house and then shortly after stopped recording. I brought the ssd in from the car this morning, and there were no recordings until I got in the car to retrieve it.

Interesting. Ok thank you. I’ll give that a try.

Have the same issue as stated above... will try turning off standby mode also and see what happens on my way home.

Have the same issue as stated above... will try turning off standby mode also and see what happens on my way home.
Unfortunately none of it helped. I looked at the summon setting referred to. But by default it has exceptions already for work and home. I turned it off anyway for testing sake.
Ran some errands and parked in garage today. Summon off, sentry off, COP off.....pulled the USB stick 2 hours later and as usual I have the last hour of my garage wall and nothing prior. Uuhhhggg I sure hope this isn’t the new normal. Kinda makes the dashcam feature almost pointless. Unless you pull it immediately after parking.

Unfortunately none of it helped. I looked at the summon setting referred to. But by default it has exceptions already for work and home. I turned it off anyway for testing sake.
Ran some errands and parked in garage today. Summon off, sentry off, COP off.....pulled the USB stick 2 hours later and as usual I have the last hour of my garage wall and nothing prior. Uuhhhggg I sure hope this isn’t the new normal. Kinda makes the dashcam feature almost pointless. Unless you pull it immediately after parking.

About the only thing left I can think of is to temporarily change your Tesla account password so that stats can't contact your car. There has to be something different between your setup and mine. I do have HW3, but supposedly it's emulating HW2.5 with the current firmware..

Last edited:
the summon setting “standby” under the autopilot setup for summon. Touching the information icon says clearly
It keeps all the cameras and sensors up and running the entire time it’s parked so that it can access summon and be ready quickly. I think that is the new issue.
it has check marks to prevent this at HOME WORK AND FAVORITE. It even says it will use more power when this is on.
I just turned this OFF completely. Not going to be using smart summon anyway.
I think that was the problem. The car now goes to sleep. It hasn’t been doing that. Until I changed that.
We’ll see what effect this has.

the summon setting “standby” under the autopilot setup for summon. Touching the information icon says clearly
It keeps all the cameras and sensors up and running the entire time it’s parked so that it can access summon and be ready quickly. I think that is the new issue.
it has check marks to prevent this at HOME WORK AND FAVORITE. It even says it will use more power when this is on.
I just turned this OFF completely. Not going to be using smart summon anyway.
I think that was the problem. The car now goes to sleep. It hasn’t been doing that. Until I changed that.
We’ll see what effect this has.

That sounds promising.