Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long does the Used Tesla buying process take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8/18: was told yesterday that a door camera and some trim needed replacing (d/t hail damage).
End of week "will be done."

8/19: Just checked the car out at the parking lot they parked it in. Looks good except 1 side of the car (passenger side) is in "very low" suspension setting and the driver's side appears to be at normal setting. Hmmmmmmm...
"All parts have arrived at the repair center" to repair the car. I will receive a call "by EOD tomorrow" about the car...
Hope they noticed the broken air suspension?!!

The parts they said were broken actually looked legit so not sure if they just didn't tell me the air suspension is broken or I cannot visually diagnose the problems with the camera and they missed the air suspension problem...
But, I am to call back tomorrow by EOD if I haven't heard!

8/20: haven't heard so calling :->

8/22/2020: (after 3 days of daily calls to the used tesla customer support): Used Tesla Delivery Update- Hi we reached out to our team and they indicated they are working on the car today, they said they would follow up with us on the progress later on today, but just wanted to keep you in the loop. They indicated there were dents from hail damaged that had to be fixed and a few sensors on the side of the car needed to be replaced (parts are now on site). We will follow up when we have another update from them. Our team gave us an update that they need to fix some of the chrome trim that was damaged by hail damage as well. As of now they don't have a date for completion. We will keep you updated as we hear more.

Wait...no completion date? Wtf?? Like, there is literally no reason why the date should be indefinite. I can even estimate my lifespan, but Tesla cannot estimate the date they can finish work on a car so they can sell it to me?

Also, no mention at all of the suspension issue. Please, correct me if I am wrong: there is a problem with the non-adaptive air suspension if only the front and rear passenger-side are lowered to very low. The driver's side front and rear is at normal height. I suspect there is a suspension leak but maybe this is normal.

8/22/2020: (after 3 days of daily calls to the used tesla customer support): Used Tesla Delivery Update- Hi we reached out to our team and they indicated they are working on the car today, they said they would follow up with us on the progress later on today, but just wanted to keep you in the loop. They indicated there were dents from hail damaged that had to be fixed and a few sensors on the side of the car needed to be replaced (parts are now on site). We will follow up when we have another update from them. Our team gave us an update that they need to fix some of the chrome trim that was damaged by hail damage as well. As of now they don't have a date for completion. We will keep you updated as we hear more.

Wait...no completion date? Wtf?? Like, there is literally no reason why the date should be indefinite. I can even estimate my lifespan, but Tesla cannot estimate the date they can finish work on a car so they can sell it to me?

Also, no mention at all of the suspension issue. Please, correct me if I am wrong: there is a problem with the non-adaptive air suspension if only the front and rear passenger-side are lowered to very low. The driver's side front and rear is at normal height. I suspect there is a suspension leak but maybe this is normal.
No, not normal.

Just think, if they're this vague when they're still trying to get your money imagine how motivated they'll be to give you support once they already have it!

No, not normal.

Just think, if they're this vague when they're still trying to get your money imagine how motivated they'll be to give you support once they already have it!

You are right. Pretty sure the local guys don't see any of that money so they have no incentive to actually get the car to me.

The only gesture of goodwill has been them actually telling me the location of their secret 'secured facility' i.e. parking lot so I could personally inspect the vehicle.

I think I might order another P100D and the 2 cars can race. I will obviously cancel the one that loses. And even more obviously pray that there is nothing wrong with the one I get.

K so 8/25 they looked at the air suspension at my behest and have determined there is nothing wrong with it. "The car may have sat for a long time. When you turn it on, it fixes it." So, do I insist on them repairing it now? Or do I take it back in 6 months when the leak is worse? Is an air suspension leak a warranty-covered item?

K so 8/25 they looked at the air suspension at my behest and have determined there is nothing wrong with it. "The car may have sat for a long time. When you turn it on, it fixes it." So, do I insist on them repairing it now? Or do I take it back in 6 months when the leak is worse? Is an air suspension leak a warranty-covered item?

Keep documentation that you complained. Can be used if it fails shortly after warranty expires. My rear pass side air spring failed under warranty. SC replaced in a day with no issues.

FYI. Not uncommon for all car mfgs to set spec limits of air seeping out. Meaning, certain % of air is expected to escape from an air suspension system over "X" amount of time. However, from my experience, we are talking mainly weeks, not few days, where the air release is noticeable to the eye.

Last edited:
Reactions: waiting4used
Keep documentation that you complained. Can be used if it fails shortly after warranty expires. My rear pass side air spring failed under warranty. SC replaced in a day with no issues.

This is a very good idea.

Do you think the texts from the Used Delivery Team are sufficient?

"our service team followed up with us today and let us know they have gone over the suspension and it is good to go. Our team will reach out to you shortly to schedule delivery!"

1. 8/27/2020: 15 days after clicking "order," I finally got the car. Everything is good except it hella smells like dog. But yeah: it's fast and red! But not fast at charging. 3 miles/hour might not be fast enough...

15985700824915522100186507873869-jpg.581502