Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long for the last 20% on the mobile connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're away so I'm using the mobile connector for the first time. It worked really well and got my car back up to 80% from 30% in about 16 hours. We leave tomorrow for a long journey home and so I want to charge up to 100% just before we leave.

Using the wall connector at home, it usually takes 2 hours to charge up the last 20% which I time for right before I leave. If I select 100% now, the Tesla app tells me it will take 5 hours to reach 100% using the mobile connector.

Does anybody have any experience with this and can you advise whether this estimate sounds about right?

When you plug in and charge but you are still in the car, the cabin heater or AC might be running taking up some power and less power is available to charge the battery. The estimate accounts for that. Once you get out of the car and close all doors or turn off the climate control altogether, the time remaining estimate will be more accurate.

Yep, I'd echo that. Air con and other usage represents a much greater percentage of the available charge rate with the UMC compared to more high powered charging solutions, so is far more noticeable on the total time. Charge rate wont really slow down much though for the last 20% as it is already a pretty slow charge rate!

I just got home and can report that the Tesla app was pretty much spot on. The final 20% on 240v took almost exactly 5 hours. So it turns out that I had scheduled it to start too early and therefore I stopped it before it finished so the car wasn't sitting at 100% any longer than it needed to be.