Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long till I can get this One Gemini Battery in my model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

after Model Y warranties are up even a 175kwh battery as a replacement to the world's best selling car - they could sell millions of Gemini batteries

over 600mi range ... you could probably even tow a trailer 200 miles easy

after Model Y warranties are up even a 175kwh battery as a replacement to the world's best selling car - they could sell millions of Gemini batteries

over 600mi range ... you could probably even tow a trailer 200 miles easy
You think they are going to sell “millions” of these when they don’t even have a price listed?

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

You think they are going to sell “millions” of these when they don’t even have a price listed?

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.
big difference between could and will... could meaning the market demand is there.. still they look like it could be a compelling alternative a few years down the road.. certainly looks closer to production than the toyota solid state batteries

Until many people have bought them and somehow retrofitted their Model Ys with them, I would consider this a pipe dream.

Are they even the right form factor for a Model Y? Is the wiring compatible? Would the BMS still function?

Modern PCs are at the point where you can buy a power supply of a given form factor and *generally* it'll fit the case and motherboard you're buying it for (although there are still some gotchas)... but EVs aren't even close to that.

My take in this is... if you want a car with one of thes batteries in it, you'll either have to build the car yourself, or wait for a manufacturer to produce one. Both will be very expensive.

Until many people have bought them and somehow retrofitted their Model Ys with them, I would consider this a pipe dream.

Are they even the right form factor for a Model Y? Is the wiring compatible? Would the BMS still function?

Modern PCs are at the point where you can buy a power supply of a given form factor and *generally* it'll fit the case and motherboard you're buying it for (although there are still some gotchas)... but EVs aren't even close to that.

My take in this is... if you want a car with one of thes batteries in it, you'll either have to build the car yourself, or wait for a manufacturer to produce one. Both will be very expensive.
They fit it into a model S already... given that the Y's are more abundant.. especially in 7 or 8 years when all the warranties run out.. they'd have a much larger market

big difference between could and will... could meaning the market demand is there.. still they look like it could be a compelling alternative a few years down the road.. certainly looks closer to production than the toyota solid state batteries
The market demand isn’t there.

What’s the market for replacement EV batteries on a new vehicle? Almost non-existent.

What’s the market on 10 year old vehicles? Almost non-existent. People are just buying a new vehicle with new tech, better build quality, and the latest battery tech.

This is a niche offering at best.

Reactions: cwerdna
The market demand isn’t there.

What’s the market for replacement EV batteries on a new vehicle? Almost non-existent.

What’s the market on 10 year old vehicles? Almost non-existent. People are just buying a new vehicle with new tech, better build quality, and the latest battery tech.

This is a niche offering at best.
there are a couple vendors dedicated to providing replacement batteries for model S's already... now we are talking about the world's best selling car that will be out of warranty in 8 years... it'd be hard to imagine there not being a market for replacement batteries in 8 years

there are a couple vendors dedicated to providing replacement batteries for model S's already... now we are talking about the world's best selling car that will be out of warranty in 8 years... it'd be hard to imagine there not being a market for replacement batteries in 8 years

But it's also hard to imagine this company surviving for 8 years without revenue. If they *do* have revenue before then, it'll be because they're cranking out millions of these batteries a year for new EVs.

Replacement batteries would definitely be a niche. How many people are interested in spending $20k on a battery for an 8 year old car? Not a lot.

If you want this battery, you'll most likely be buying it in a brand new car. People. Putting it into a Model S - that's a fun pet project, but certainly not for the masses.

But it's also hard to imagine this company surviving for 8 years without revenue. If they *do* have revenue before then, it'll be because they're cranking out millions of these batteries a year for new EVs.

Replacement batteries would definitely be a niche. How many people are interested in spending $20k on a battery for an 8 year old car? Not a lot.

If you want this battery, you'll most likely be buying it in a brand new car. People. Putting it into a Model S - that's a fun pet project, but certainly not for the masses.
yeah they are already making batteries for the blue arc cargo van fleets

they apparently also have a deal with BMW for their next cars and currently have no plans to sell directly to end users

i guess id be happy to get a 180kwh NEW model Y in 8 years anyway but even 20k sounds better than 60k

That motor trend article mentions $50 per kWh, and they shoved a 200kwh battery into the S. So at $10k, plus a few for labor, I could see it becoming a popular option in 8 years when the world's most popular vehicle is out of warranty en masse... but it still seems like that's not where the money is for ONE.

Certainly, someone's going to have to manufacturer replacement batteries though.

Reactions: gt2690b