Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many cameras in new without AP enabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bot AP2.0 options are upgradable after purchase. Does the car come with 8 cameras even if you don't pay for any AP options, or does the extra $1000 cover hardware installation (of either 4 or 8 cameras)?
It is my understanding that all new cars, post announcement, will come equipped with all of the cameras, sensors and radar for AP2 deployment. However, they will be software limited based upon the level of AP you choose to pay for.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm am thinking it comes with all 8. That way all cars from now forward contribute to fleet learning, regardless of which features you pay for to enable. Therefore it is in Tesla's best interest to ship 8 cameras on every car.

For now, Tesla needs to get as many cars on the road with AP 2.0 sensors, so they can use the cars for training and testing the self driving software. So even if someone hasn't purchased AP 2.0, the sensors are active - the processor is doing all of the work - and the system is logging the software's decisions and the driver's decisions.

At some point, Tesla may reach critical mass on the number of AP 2.0 cars on the road, and could change their strategy for putting AP 2.0 on every car - since it costs $$$ to install sensors and the Drive PX2 processing, if the owner isn't intending to purchase it.

And when the Model 3 comes out, would Tesla put $8K AP 2.0 on every Model 3? Or would they keep the prices down by only installing the features the owner has actually purchased?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla change the "all cars have L5" strategy down the road...

The hardware only gets cheaper, and may get activated later by the customer, second buyer, or as a CPO. I can't imagine they we start putting in less hardware down the road. Chances are most will get activated, and the fleet learning makes it worth it with high numbers, because not everywhere is southern California (I'm willing to bet there are roads in my 250K population city that have never had a Tesla on them).