Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Many Owners Would Buy Again, Given the latest fire information?

Knowing what you know about the road debris fires, would you buy the Model S again?

• Yes

Votes: 397 96.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Maybe--I'd have to seriously think about it.

Votes: 12 2.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The statistic is greater that 250,000 car fires per year.

I was trying to be conservative, although the numbers that are out there are between 150,000 and 200,000. Not sure where you are getting that 250,000 number from.

What I was trying to point out, maybe not in the most direct way, was that all these statistics I have seen are flawed (mileage driven, number of cars). Not very relevant. The only number that counts is fires per collision and since MS drivers are expected to drive a bit faster than the average car out there, speed also needs to be factored in, to some extend. What I meant to say is nicely summarized here:

Tesla's Fires: What Are Some Potential Long-term Ramifications? - Forbes

I do not understand the obsession with fire. If a vehicle crashes or gets struck by road debris at highway speed, there's a good likelihood it is totaled. So, put aside the issue of damage to the vehicle, insurance rates, etc. A highway accident gets that result.

Road debris doesn't usually total a car. It will do some damage, but you usually can replace the damaged parts.

Even if it is the case that the Tesla is more susceptible to this accident, we are still talking about very low probabilities of this occurring.

Not freaking out here either, and will happily drive mine. But if I was writing a check today, I would wait a bit and see where it falls.

My wife and son are in the car a lot, and this is a $100k+ car. If these are normal, fine -- I know cars catch fire. But <1 year old >$100k cars... I don't know. Obviously if 3 Porsche Panameras caught fire, we probably never heard of it. But this is new technology, and any "don't know" items, can be bothersome...

Here, let me Google that for you:
Let me google that for you

One lit up during a review. Reviewer still liked it, would recommend one.
http://m.thenational.ae/lifestyle/motoring/over-engineered-porsche-panamera-is-not-troubled-by-exhaust-fire

There are a couple of owner posted videos on YouTube I remember watching a year ago, but interestingly they're all marked private now.

Someone posted an NHTSA complaint after they hit a motorcycle with their Panamera and it caught fire (the Porsche, not the motorcycle. Motorcycle was fine.)
Porsche Panamera 2010-2013 - car safety information, failing parts, recalls, bulletins, complaints

Porsche even issued a recall due to risk of fire! Oh the horrors!
Porsche Recalls Cayenne, Panamera Vehicles for Fire Risk | Defective Products Attorney

But like you said, we never hear about it because catching fire is pretty par for the course for gasoline cars.

Here, let me Google that for you:
Let me google that for you

One lit up during a review. Reviewer still liked it, would recommend one.
http://m.thenational.ae/lifestyle/m...sche-panamera-is-not-troubled-by-exhaust-fire

There are a couple of owner posted videos on YouTube I remember watching a year ago, but interestingly they're all marked private now.

Someone posted an NHTSA complaint after they hit a motorcycle with their Panamera and it caught fire (the Porsche, not the motorcycle. Motorcycle was fine.)
Porsche Panamera 2010-2013 - car safety information, failing parts, recalls, bulletins, complaints

Porsche even issued a recall due to risk of fire! Oh the horrors!
Porsche Recalls Cayenne, Panamera Vehicles for Fire Risk | Defective Products Attorney

But like you said, we never hear about it because catching fire is pretty par for the course for gasoline cars.

Those aren't totaling the car.

Those aren't totaling the car.

The review one wasn't. The two videos I saw most definitely were. We have no way to know wether the fourth one, the fire after minor collision NHTSA complaint, was or wasn't totaled.

Porsche has sold far fewer Panameras in the US than Tesla has the Model S, they're not old cars, yet there have been at least 4 fires, 3 or which were spontaneous, and Porsche issued a recall for fire problems.

Why are we even having this discussion?

The review one wasn't. The two videos I saw most definitely were. We have no way to know wether the fourth one, the fire after minor collision NHTSA complaint, was or wasn't totaled.

Porsche has sold far fewer Panameras in the US than Tesla has the Model S, they're not old cars, yet there have been at least 4 fires, 3 or which were spontaneous, and Porsche issued a recall for fire problems.

Why are we even having this discussion?

Interesting about the Panamera fire risk, and especially the spontaneous fires. If something spontaneously catches fire, that's one thing. Quite another to catch fire several minutes after hitting a large, pointed metal object at freeway speed. (and just two out of 20,000 cars at that).

We have to put this into perspective, both with cars in general (I think other cars have overall more problems, different ones, but cumulatively more and worse), as well as life. Stairs are deadly, but I still use them every day. The whole fire thing is a red herring, a canard par excellence.

Reminds me of the MSDS of pure water (Sigma molecular biology RNA-free, triple distilled), aka hydroxyhydrogen, diprotonated oxygen radical, hydrogenmonoxide, etc. Under reactivity of with water, there was a not "not yet assessed". It suggests some major problem, where there is none in sight.

We have to put this into perspective, both with cars in general (I think other cars have overall more problems, different ones, but cumulatively more and worse), as well as life. Stairs are deadly, but I still use them every day. The whole fire thing is a red herring, a canard par excellence.

Reminds me of the MSDS of pure water (Sigma molecular biology RNA-free, triple distilled), aka hydroxyhydrogen, diprotonated oxygen radical, hydrogenmonoxide, etc. Under reactivity of with water, there was a not "not yet assessed". It suggests some major problem, where there is none in sight.

Hahaha, yep, I have to keep this MSDS for oxygen at my business:
http://www.mathesongas.com/pdfs/msds/MAT12831.pdf

With all the media attention on Tesla and all the discussion here about the fires, why isn't this poll getting more attention? Results so far? Wow!!

When asked if they would purchase Model S again knowing what they know about road debris and fires, 389 people answered poll:
96% YES
3% maybe
1% no

You wouldn't think this if you've been reading the forum this past month. Makes you wonder if none of the vocal people on the other threads are actual owners.