Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Tesla hater you have run into on the road ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think those who think all their interactions on the road are "anti-Tesla" are just finding a way to be a victim. We all run into jerks on the road, IMO most people don't recognize it vs. any another car, and those who do usually appreciate it.

I live near Green Bay WI, truck country if ever there was, co-worker who is building a SEMA exhibit Powerstroke Ford was one of the first to ask for a ride and loved it.

I have met people who are skeptical of EV practicality.
I have met people who think Tesla means $130K car and don't consider the used market and 75D put these well inside the middleclass affordability range. I know a LOT of folks who drive fullsize trucks and SUVs and when buying a new Silverado crewcab list is easily over $50k, granted I got a used car for that not a new truck, but still pointing this out settles some of the "inter-class" hostility the previous President and Democrats work so hard to foster. I understand I will get some hostile feedback on that comment. I had some co-workers make comments on me apparently being "rich" due to having a Tesla, but I point out used purchase and not spending cash on drinking,smoking,professional sports, fishing boat, hunting cabin, whatever I know they choose to spend their disposable income on and I make my point politely.

The closest thing I have had to a negative interaction over Tesla ownership was a family I met at a Supercharger, the woman's attitude seemed like I wasn't worthy of being part of the club since I bought my P85 as a awesome family hotrod not to "save the planet". She seemed a little offended when I said Tesla was brilliant for building an EV people WANT to drive vs. a Leaf people put up with to reduce their environmental impact.

I have had kids in passing cars get all excited and point, people pull up along side and thumbs up, people wait in an adjoining parking spot at the mall to ask me how I liked it when I came back to the car, learned not to use the frunk unless I want to explain the car because it gets a lot of attention.

IMO if people react negatively to a Tesla it is going to be on "class warfare" grounds more than electric. If you go to the Tesla forum the sense of entitlement there is staggering, the Model S and X actually on the road are premium luxury cars and people know there is a $7500 tax credit on them new, that is a "tax break for the wealthy" in most folks eyes especially since most folks don't realize a 75D is ballpark same price as a diesel truck or loaded fullsize SUV, all they think of is P100D pricing.

There is also a bit of condescending arrogance on the part of too many Tesla owners about how every time you drive your Tesla three whales, 2 polar bears and half a dozen unicorns are born but when you get in an ICE, you killed 6 kittens, 4 puppies, caused a tornado and made sea levels rise at least an inch. OK so that is an exaggeration but you get my point. ICE are the primary means of transportation and will be for some time since the average car on the road in the USA is something like 11yo, going to be a LONG time before EV displace ICE on the roads even after EV displace them in new sales.

It you read the Tesla company sponsored forum look at the intolerance and hate toward anything ICE, isn't that the same thing as the perceived hatred of Teslas by ICE owners?

I believe EV are the future even aside from the environmental benefits, the driveability, ease of ownership and production are just so good, but that doesn't mean we need to hate ICE, we do need to accept it as it fizzles out and it replaced and too many Tesla owners think that should happen by next year, not rational, not reasonable, and is the hatred you think you are on the receiving end of......

In general, I get thumbs up all the time when driving and especially when at the local Supercharger where there's a fair amount of pedestrian traffic. I've even had people drive into the Supercharger to ask about the car. I've let total strangers sit in it to experience the feeling.

I often feel like the Kung-Fu guy in the old TV show where the Master keeps telling the student to be patient grasshopper. I've had people pass me by with pipes roaring, and I just let them go knowing that at any moment I could easily smoke them. ONE time I did just that after coming down a hilly area to a long straight away. The guy behind me kept right up on my bumper thru the hills and I could tell that just as soon as the straight away section availed itself he was going to pass. Sure enough, he made his move, pipes blaring, and this one time, I said to myself, not this time.... I think he was surprised when I jetted off, left him in the alone just as he got into the opposite lane. I didn't slow down for about a mile and then dropped back to 57 in the 55 zone and he just meekly stayed behind.

Reactions: Lu Ann
I think those who think all their interactions on the road are "anti-Tesla" are just finding a way to be a victim. We all run into jerks on the road, IMO most people don't recognize it vs. any another car, and those who do usually appreciate it.

I live near Green Bay WI, truck country if ever there was, co-worker who is building a SEMA exhibit Powerstroke Ford was one of the first to ask for a ride and loved it.

I have met people who are skeptical of EV practicality.
I have met people who think Tesla means $130K car and don't consider the used market and 75D put these well inside the middleclass affordability range. I know a LOT of folks who drive fullsize trucks and SUVs and when buying a new Silverado crewcab list is easily over $50k, granted I got a used car for that not a new truck, but still pointing this out settles some of the "inter-class" hostility the previous President and Democrats work so hard to foster. I understand I will get some hostile feedback on that comment. I had some co-workers make comments on me apparently being "rich" due to having a Tesla, but I point out used purchase and not spending cash on drinking,smoking,professional sports, fishing boat, hunting cabin, whatever I know they choose to spend their disposable income on and I make my point politely.

The closest thing I have had to a negative interaction over Tesla ownership was a family I met at a Supercharger, the woman's attitude seemed like I wasn't worthy of being part of the club since I bought my P85 as a awesome family hotrod not to "save the planet". She seemed a little offended when I said Tesla was brilliant for building an EV people WANT to drive vs. a Leaf people put up with to reduce their environmental impact.

I have had kids in passing cars get all excited and point, people pull up along side and thumbs up, people wait in an adjoining parking spot at the mall to ask me how I liked it when I came back to the car, learned not to use the frunk unless I want to explain the car because it gets a lot of attention.

IMO if people react negatively to a Tesla it is going to be on "class warfare" grounds more than electric. If you go to the Tesla forum the sense of entitlement there is staggering, the Model S and X actually on the road are premium luxury cars and people know there is a $7500 tax credit on them new, that is a "tax break for the wealthy" in most folks eyes especially since most folks don't realize a 75D is ballpark same price as a diesel truck or loaded fullsize SUV, all they think of is P100D pricing.

There is also a bit of condescending arrogance on the part of too many Tesla owners about how every time you drive your Tesla three whales, 2 polar bears and half a dozen unicorns are born but when you get in an ICE, you killed 6 kittens, 4 puppies, caused a tornado and made sea levels rise at least an inch. OK so that is an exaggeration but you get my point. ICE are the primary means of transportation and will be for some time since the average car on the road in the USA is something like 11yo, going to be a LONG time before EV displace ICE on the roads even after EV displace them in new sales.

It you read the Tesla company sponsored forum look at the intolerance and hate toward anything ICE, isn't that the same thing as the perceived hatred of Teslas by ICE owners?

I believe EV are the future even aside from the environmental benefits, the driveability, ease of ownership and production are just so good, but that doesn't mean we need to hate ICE, we do need to accept it as it fizzles out and it replaced and too many Tesla owners think that should happen by next year, not rational, not reasonable, and is the hatred you think you are on the receiving end of......

Well said.

So what if you drive an EV and I drive an ICE or vice versa!

At the end of the day, it’s just a car.

I try not to run into people in my Tesla. Takes too long to get repairs done.

Oh, you meant "had an interaction with" not "physically hit?" My bad o_O

Have had a few obviously poor interactions in 4.5 years, but way more positive ones. My favorite negative was when on the 101 in the right lane, an Automotive Parts Store delivery vehicle came up in the left lane. Matched speed and then the passenger flipped me off and they sped off. I just laughed.